2:37 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

2:37 Reviews

November 27, 2014
Let's forget about the compelling cinematography, expertly realistic script or the acting that puts mainstream young actors to shame. Let's forget about all that for now. What is paramount in this flick is who it is that ends their life. It's not the guy who has a condition that makes him limp constantly and urinate involuntarily. It's not the openly gay pothead, or his closeted jock lover. It's not the girl who was raped by her brother and is now pregnant with his child. It's Kelly, the girl who has maybe a minute and a half of screentime. The girl who never showed any sign of anything wrong in her life; who, when interviewed alongside all the other kids talking about their issues, cheerily told of her cute baby cousin. It's always these people who do it; we never see them, you never really can tell, they only ever get very little "screentime" in our own lives. All that emotion, revealed and poured out at the film's intense, confronting and graphic climax. As Kelly fades away on the bathroom floor, revealed is her own private torture, lost among the open issues of all the other kids.
December 11, 2013
I remember hearing about this movie when it was first released and whatever was said about it was powerful enough to stick years later so I finally got around to tracking it down and well it was....intense. This movie was very confronting but decent. I prefer elephant though but it is great to see something like this come out of Australia.
½ November 30, 2013
I feel this video did well at representing the issues that students face, and that each of the students represent a issue and it is sad that people actually face these problems. It is really haunting in a way. I am only giving it 3.5 because I do not find it a favorite or anything but personally I give it a 4.5 for showing the truth of teenager's problems.
½ June 26, 2013
Influenciado por "Elefante", filme ganhador da Palma de Ouro em 2003, o diretor Murali K. Thalluri permanece em grande parte do seu filme "2:37" seguindo seus personagens pelas costas, enquanto os mesmos caminham pelos corredores de uma escola americana: todos eles, mesmo não aparentando, com a mente recheada de problemas. E são estes problemas, problemas nada pequenos para se falar a verdade, que irão fazer deste primeiro e único longa de Thalluri um filme em que a tensão que é gerada é extremamente alta e a dor sofrida por estes personagens tornam-se insuportáveis para o telespectador.
"2:37" é um filme genial em diversos aspectos. Como já dito, a tensão que ele gera é descomunal: temos a impressão de que a qualquer momento, naquela escola que parece ser como outra qualquer, o pior dos problemas pode acontecer. Esta tensão gerada pela excepcional trilha sonora psicodélica que em nenhum momento para de tocar e pela fotografia escura e sombria, acabam transformando o filme em um drama muitíssimo depressivo e melancólico.
A ideia da "mesma cena vista por ângulos diferentes e por personagens diferentes" usada primordialmente por Gus Van Sant em "Elefante", é muito bem usada e, como no filme de Sant, muito decisiva para a consequência final da narrativa. Absolutamente todas as atuações deste filme aqui são muito naturalistas e melancólicas. Há duas cenas (há inúmeras outras também), uma no clímax e outra no epílogo que causam um impacto tão grande que provavelmente deixará o telespectador em estado de choque.
Tenho que admitir que este foi um dos filmes mais chocantes e mais dramáticos que assisti nestes últimos tempos.
½ March 4, 2013
It has a very unspecific intriguing element. It might be the tragedy set up and the cross over routes of the characters and their stories but a diluted ending and too many similarities to Elephant weaken what could have been a brilliant exploration of teen anguish. Interesting example of independant film making though.
February 17, 2013
5 star movie...one of my faves....not the kind you can watch over and over though...definately something everyone should see at least once before they die....
February 6, 2013
A raw and at times uncomfortable to watch Australian movie that utilises the interview style mixed with straight narrative. All we know is that one student has committed suicide, but the mystery stretches until the final scene of the film when we finally find out who it was. Each character is given reasons why they would want to kill themselves, and as an audience you make your own conclusions based on the strong performances from an unknown cast, as to who it is. A shocking and painfully real ending that left me feeling sick.
½ February 2, 2013
Not a bad heavy drama but it's been done better.
½ January 22, 2013
wow wow wow amazing movie!
½ January 7, 2013
did not even fishis this. made me want to go to sleep.
½ May 11, 2012
A very predictable story and what a crap copy of "Elephant" (shooting style and script development).

February 11, 2012
This Happen sometimes in real life. Who can imagine that the girl was about to do. Who knows what is on people´s minds. "We look faces, and we don´t know what is really going on on their hearts" Unfortunately s**t like this happen some times. It was a kind of a fu**ed up movie. I understand that people have issues. I understand the guy with two urethras, and the guy who was gay, and also the jock. but the male sibling and the girl that locked up in the bath, I dont.
½ February 7, 2012
It is hard not to compare 2:37 to Gus Van Sant's 'Elephant', especially from it'salmost identical visual approach. Even it's camera work, haunting score and emotional theme's, almost mirror it's American predecessor. However, although it wins absolutley no points for originality, 2:37 is a faster, denser and more relatable version.
2:37's striking point is the flawless performances from it's stellar almost unknown cast. Character driven with a slightly over dramatic play of the individual issues facing everyday students. It's hard to not feel opinionated about every single one of them. Although I would not single anyone of these characters, and their performnces by the people who playthem(they're all as good as each other), Theresa's Palmers 'Melody' is unforgetable; And like Abbie Cornish in 'Sommersaults' before her, with stunning looks and an acting ability to match, she'll be sure one to watch in the future.
To Murali K. Thalluri, well done on a debut film. Although the essence is somewhat borrowed from Gus Van Sant, it's good to know where ones inspirations are. This tragic story gives the tale of your friend Kelly, who even ten minutes from the end is the forgotten character(though definitely not at the end). Showing that despite the fact of all these other vivid social issues, acceptance and loneliness are the true eternal struggles of adolescence(and older age in any case.) An issue not openly visible(and wont be for sometime), is the pressures put on young children of today. Appreciation should be shown you way for depicting it in this 7 character story. Take your pick from anyone who grew up in middle class surburbia and there's some connection to parts of these characters.

Note:1) Although I live Qld(Northern Australia), no where, even in the southern states do I know of soccer being the main school sport.(AFL, League, Rugby Union are usually the mainstay)
2) No where, even in public state schools, are children allowed to where free-dress, an american concept placed into an Australian film?
3) Children who come from 6 figure salary parents, and who give the child a mercedes for their first car, in genreal don't send their children to public schools.
4) Either bites to hands take a long time to heal, or the time it takes to realise you're pregnant is very short these days.(?)

Attention to detail is everything, and can cost you 1 and half stars.
February 6, 2012
best movie i have seen in ages
December 28, 2011
The suicide-character wasn't even in the larger portion of the movie and then it seemed like the director was trying to make all the other characters look selfish for not seeing it coming, but they had problems as wellâ" rape-incest, sexual orientation crises, eating disorder (though the portrayal of that was half-assed at best). The suicide scene was BAD and drawn out (but not in the artsy, making-you-uncomfortable-with-a-point way). The talking heads scenes were pretty irrelevant... it either needed to be a "documentary" or not a documentary. If you're going to watch this movie, just watch "Elephant", which is less bad.
½ December 16, 2011
Extremely graphic. Worth the watch, but be safe when watching.
December 2, 2011
Much deeper and more serious than expected....different and well done.
November 7, 2011
Saw this movie today and it is briliant.
November 4, 2011
This movie started really slow and slowly introduces you to the characters and what happening to their lives. The topics raised are quite topical and very realistic. Sit through it and you'll hear eveyone's story.
October 1, 2011
an absolutely beautiful piece of Australian cinema. Beginning on a high with discovery of a suicide victim, it becomes almost a murder mystery as the audience attempts to discover "Whodunnit" to themselves. Unknown actors give a beautifully natural performance. the final scene is incredibly powerful, but overtly graphic in its depiction of the suicide. The graphic nature of the final scene could be potentially harmful to troubled young viewers as it could spawn "copycat" suicides. However, for myself, an ignorant teenager, it merely opened my eyes. I believe that the film should be edited so that the rating can be lowered and it can be screened to 11 and 12s in schools. its such an important film to see.
"sometimes you get so caught up in your own problems you just don't notice anyone else." - 2:37