23 Blast - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

23 Blast Reviews

August 9, 2018
I watched this movie using boxxy software and it was an inspiration. this movie is amazing
½ October 11, 2017
Great concept on a low budget with average execution. Didn't show enough of Travis' struggle in any sort of dramatic way and under utilized their only name actor, Alexa Vega.
May 16, 2017
Pros: footage at end, real life people, story

Cons: not a movie to own
½ May 9, 2017
A really nice story. Sad that it's true.
April 27, 2017
One of the best inspiring movies I've ever seen.
½ December 12, 2016
Movies can inspire us by introducing us to people who overcome the odds, despite having much bigger problems than we do. Most of these films are based on true stories, and are as real as it gets, but sometimes, no matter how amazing the story, it doesn't necessarily make for the best cinema. 23 Blast is one of those films, as it tells the inspirational true story of Travis Freeman (Mark Hapka), a star High School Football player, on his way to a College scholarship, when a rare illness struck him blind. For many High School students, football is just a means to popularity, but for Travis, football was his whole life. His illness left him devastated and almost killed him, until miraculously, with the help of an unorthodox coach and supportive teammates, Travis was able to play again. The story here is almost unbelievable, and while it would make for a terrific episode of ESPN's 30 for 30, I found it severely lacking in content for a feature film. 23 Blast is the directorial debut of actor, Dylan Baker, and while he does a great job of telling the story and inspiring the audience, there just isn't enough story here to keep people interested for a full ninety minutes. The film focuses a lot on Travis's depression and rehabilitation, while a key component of the story, it also takes up a good majority of the film. If one were to shorten those scenes, there wouldn't be enough for a full length film. As for the young cast, they turned in surprisingly strong performances, in particular Mark Hapka, was excellent, but in the end it all comes down to this. 23 Blast, while inspirational, also moves extremely slowly, as it keeps coming back around to a single focus, Travis's illness. There is no deviation from the main story line, and things continue to go around in circles, until the last half hour or so when they finally get to the point. Basically, I loved the story, Travis Freeman is an inspiration, but the film is a bit of a snooze.
½ August 27, 2016
2016-08-27 footsball.
August 22, 2016
Blind or not you can come back from anything!
½ June 27, 2016
Kind of cheesy. Its not the worst movie that I've seen. It lacks some quality but its not that bad.
June 13, 2016
I like Alexa Vega. She is a good actress, seems to really get into character, and she is very pretty.
May 8, 2016
It tries to be a touching film and partially succeeds and partially does not. I give respect to the main actor who had to go through that painful and annoying acting and ends up doing a pretty good job. But it can almost feel goofy at some points and is not nearly as memorable as similar films.
March 13, 2016
i feel like brian griffin wrote the script. basically, this movie is super low budget. bad acting across the board
September 12, 2015
Good movie, based on a true story, with really good messages about life.
July 27, 2015
It's not Remember the Titans good, but it was a thoroughly enjoyable watch. Funny and heartfelt.
July 20, 2015
For my boys , for the love of football
April 13, 2015
Really fun and inspiring!
April 5, 2015
23 Blast is like a cable movie. It has good intentions, but is executed poorly. It is filled with cliches.
March 10, 2015
Good movie... Love real story.
March 8, 2015
Loved the movie I had a smile on my mace the whole time watching it. I was sad that jerry baker has died in real life
February 14, 2015
Sterling. I know someone who knows the man behind the story, and much is based in truth. It's great to see a movie that promotes hope, instead of doubt and grayness.