My Soul to Take - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Soul to Take Reviews

August 12, 2016
Wes craven movies has always been favorites of mine, 16 years later kids were born on the day they killed the man who was possessed known by the river. Now these 7 teens are now going to find out the real horror of the storys they heard.
May 14, 2016
Worst movie ever!! The whole movie was all over the place. Its like they had so many ideas and didn't care that they didn't make sense
January 18, 2016
While watching "My Soul to Take," I could not help but think how much the film reminded me of a Wes Craven movie. Familiar touchstones of his films are evident: the resurrected boogeyman out to avenge his death by murdering a town's teenagers (A Nightmare on Elm Street), who, by force of habit, employs cell phones to toy with his victims just prior to slaying them (Scream). So, I was not terribly startled upon seeing Craven credited as the director following the film's conclusion. Although, it's a stretch to imagine this being one of the movies he shall be remembered for. Rather it seems to me like a project green-lighted only because of the writer-director's cachet. The story itself is a half-baked idea that movie studios, large and small, have churned out ad nauseam. Really, seven kids born the same night in small-town USA? Oh, and lest I overlook Craven's "Mean Girls" homage, since one scene inside of the high school ladies' restroom felt like it had been lifted straight from that movie. These characters are flimsily drawn. Case in point, the several cryptic references to the main character's damaged past, but little in the way of explanation for what he had been involved with that was so scarring. Then, there is the high school jock / rapist-in-training - hard to elicit sympathy for that guy when he finds his life in peril. Other cliched characters litter the hallways of this high school as well - the rich blonde who every guy in school notices, the nerdy Asian kid not gifted with swift running ability, and the brooding girl who makes a fashion statement wearing only black, and can claim as her own, the none-too-subtle nickname, Fang. Complete with an unbelievably lazy ending that left me asking, "What was that?," "My Soul to Take" is a colossal mess that all involved will likely wish to have stricken from their filmographies.
½ January 4, 2016
Not as bad as anyone thinks but not nearly as good as a Craven films, My soul to take is a weird but weirdly entertaining slasher.
October 20, 2015
So bizarre, otherworldly. Even bad Wes Craven is so delightfully imaginative, or at least intriguing.
½ September 26, 2015
I enjoyed it! Really great!
½ June 3, 2015
Let's just pretend Wes Craven didn't write and direct My Soul to Take, one of the year's worst films (and also Craven's worst film. Period). The movie uneasily balances comedy and horror. It's confusing. It's dumb. It's NOT scary. It's boring. The converted 3D is......my God. I can't even say how bad it is. Just avoid this, please. Take my word on it.
½ April 20, 2015
Dull, uninspired and ultimately flat in every retrospect. My soul to take finds Legend Wes Craven playing out the stuff he made with no creative thinking or flair like he used to.
March 27, 2015
0,5 de 5 estrellas: La segunda peor película de Wes Craven seguido de The Hills Have Eyes Part II.
Somnífera, genérica, y sin chispa en sus "atractivos"
y el disque 3D es una reverenda porquería.
March 23, 2015
It wasn't really good at all. There were some ok parts, but that was it. I never felt that this was a truly scary movie.
March 14, 2015
Bad Wes Craven! That is NOT what how to make a movie! Son, I am disappoint.

'Case you didn't guess, I kinda didn't like My Soul to Take. Especially not when you stack it up against, like, every other film Wes Craven (behind The Last House on the Left, The Hills have Eyes, Deadly Blessing, Swamp Thing, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Serpent and the Raibow, Shocker, The People Under the Stairs, Scream, Wishmaster and Red Eye) has ever made ever. Even more sadly, the onus is completely on him. Though the actors of the piece were relatively unknown, no one of them was terrible enough to bring down the film. Wes both wrote and directed My Soul to Take, as well as standing in the Production line.

It's an interesting if a little bizarre idea, once upon a time there was a serial killer, at the precise moment this serial killer died, 7 children were born in a local hospital. 16 years on, the kids start winding up dead, and those remaining are trying to figure out if the Riverton Ripper survived, or if his soul was somehow transferred into one of the 7, and if so, which one. To be blunt, the actual plot is even weaker than that, but it's as accurate as I can put it without spoilers.

Craven executes this very poorly, right down to angst-y, unbelievable characters and convoluted, sporadic story-telling. People have been saying that it's time for the 71 year old director to give it up, but honestly I'd hate to see one of the masters of horror go out on such a thrill-less flop.

I can, in its defence, honestly say that this movie isn't boring, which of course is the worst thing that any form of entertainment can be, what with boredom being what you are suffering from when you're not entertained and all. Though from the word go the film is utterly ridiculous, at no point in time did I find myself wanting to turn My Soul to Take off.

Though I had the good fortune of being in a country which releases all its films to DVD in 2D, I can imagine that having to go through this dark shocker in its post-conversion 3D failure in cinemas must have been Hell. The trailer was nice Mr. Craven, but I'm sad to say, you failed to deliver.

-Gimly
March 14, 2015
This was probably one of, if not the worst Wes Craven movie I have ever seen. From the mediocre acting to the confusing plot that I don't think IT even knows what it is. Avoid it, especially if you are a Craven fan.
January 25, 2015
(15%)
So people stand by trash like the Scream movies and look down their noses at this? And while I can admit that this is a poor addition to Wes Craven's filmography, it's is still beyond all doubt a better watch than the lousy stinker that is Scream 4, but then again not many films are worse than that dung heap. What marks this down is its messy, badly told, yet hugely routine plot, while its complete lack of scares, poor writing and so-so performances stop this getting even close to a recommendation. But it's by far not the worst horror out there with at least a little tension at times with some small touches of quality placed here and there. It isn't worth a look, although between this and any of the scream movies, I'd go for this every single time.
½ December 11, 2014
this is one of the worst films I have ever seen I won't be watching again in a hurry
½ December 1, 2014
my soul to take is awkwardly awful. The scares are stale and humor is... not very funny. And awkward. Don't watch this. It's not worth it.
November 1, 2014
Wes Craven should quit
October 28, 2014
Stupid and one of the Wes Craven movies with more weak argument and confusing plot, My soul to take, bring to us a creepy and suspensefull movie with many scares and original story.
½ October 23, 2014
October 9, 2014
This is one hell of a movie. I can't say I liked it, I can't say I hated it. Probably, the most bizarre Wes Craven film.
½ October 8, 2014
One of Wes Craven's best and most obscure. Finely crafted and tuned. Interesting plot. Still barely makes any sense after watching it. A small dash of dark humour and a fair plot that contained no filler at all and was great from beginning to end.