27 Dresses - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

27 Dresses Reviews

April 23, 2015
Fake and gives you cancer.
I love Kathryn Heigl and James Marsden, absolutely NOT in this.

Ever watch paint dry?
Need to get annoyed by ppl pretending (terribly) to be romantic?

Don't waste your time.
I couldn't get it to post half a star, so reluctantly leaving one..

I love the romance in Forrest Gump - this just sucked.
They phoned it in.
April 1, 2015
This movies not the best but I do think there are some cute parts. I love wedding related movies/shows so this was for me
½ March 17, 2015
Almost instantly forgettable, no real development in character or story making an overall dull film
March 12, 2015
By the numbers Romedy (romantic comedy) holds it's own with good acting by the cast and a "knowing wink" joke every now and then.
February 16, 2015
IT is so gooooood!!!!
January 29, 2015
It's your standard rom-com with very little to like apart from Katherine Heigl and James Marsden. Full review later.
½ January 18, 2015
Lo único bueno Bennie and the Jets
½ January 11, 2015
Great chick flick entertainment.
January 7, 2015
Typical chick flick.
January 6, 2015
My wife loves Katherine "Izzy Stevens" Heigl. Loved her on Grey's Anatomy. Loves every movie she's in. Me, I like James Marsden as Cyclops in the X-Men movies. He's a pretty funny guy...But he was in Superman Returns, so there's proof that good actors can make bad movies. This is not a bad movie...It ain't Shakespeare. It's a fun movie.
January 6, 2015
Ketherine Heigl seems to epitomise the middle of the road, bog standard rom-com more than any other actress that I can think of. 27 Dresses is as dull as it sounds.
January 2, 2015
Drama romance movies are actually quite funny to watch and can have some great comedy moments aswell. This movie title made me first stay away from this flick but i gave it a shot and it was indeed watchable. Katherine Heigl and James Marsden did a nice job along with a good story. Enjoy
December 31, 2014
Basically my favorite movie ever, I've seen it AT LEAST 9 times already.
December 16, 2014
One of my go-to chick flicks. Love this movie
½ December 7, 2014
cute cute cute. but wvery time i watch it i get that penny and the jets song stuck in my head.
November 23, 2014
It did more or less keep me watching until the end, but I have to say this movie was ridiculous, predictable, and in some ways, disturbing. If the moral was that she finally stands up for herself and gets what she deserves, why does the romantic climax involve the "hero" telling her what to do? ("Get over here.") Yeesh...
October 29, 2014
Even though it may be hard to admit, everyone has that one romantic comedy that can keep them laughing and crying at the same time. No matter if the viewer is more of a hardcore horror movie watcher or either loves an action-packed adrenaline-pumping movie, each one can spit out their favorite rom-com at the drop of a hat. In order to make a person's infamous list of "Favorite Romantic Comedy", there are certain criteria that can either make or break a movie for this spot. However, while looking at criteria such as the amount of comedy, the amount of romance and the relatability of the characters, 27 Dresses is definitely a film that can make it to the number one spot on anyone's list.
Although some other movie genres have their comedic moments, comedy is obviously required in a romantic comedy. In 27 Dresses, the comedy was hit right on the head. While there weren't a lot of hysterical comedic elements, all of the sarcastic remarks and commentary made by actors Katherine Heigl and James Marsden who play Jane Nichols and Kevin Doyle was just the right amount to keep the story line of the movie flowing while giving the audience a chuckle when needed. For example, in one section of the movie when Jane is modeling her bridesmaid dresses for Kevin, Jane states that she would do whatever it takes to make her friend's wedding a good wedding even if she had to caulk a fountain. She then makes a rather sarcastic comment that she is a good caulker. Even Daniel Eagan, a writer for Film Journal International and not a huge supporter of the comedy in the film, states that, "Her [Heigl's] graciousness, comic timing, and willingness to make fun of herself will go over well with audiences." Because of the light amount of witty comedy, the movie had a great comedic presence while also keeping the viewers enticed to keep watching the movie.
Another essential part of a good rom-com, the amount of romance in the film also plays a huge role. Like the comedy portion of the film, 27 Dresses also provides enough of the romantic aspect to not overpower the film, but gives viewers that romantic, butterfly feeling in their stomachs. The romance factor of the film also adds to the plot of the story line which tries to trick the audience into thinking that Jane will finally get her dream guy-her boss, George-in the end. This love triangle helps keep the audience on their toes while providing an entertainment and especially romantic factor throughout the film. For example, when Jane finally professes her love for Kevin after a dramatic chase at the end of the film, there is a sweet 'Aw!' moment that captures the hearts of hopeless romantics everywhere, letting the audience have a warm feeling in their hearts.
Relatable characters are also a vital part of a great romantic comedy. Because of the great cast in this film, 27 Dresses is filled with wonderful and talented actors and actresses who relate to the majority of the people in the audience. Katherine Heigl, while still undeniably beautiful, embraces her appearance of an average-looking woman while interjecting her own bits of wit into the role of Jane, making the role unique. Heigl's talent which Joe Leydon addressees in his review of the movie describes her as, "An engaging actress with a flair for physical comedy and self-effacing humor, Heigl is immensely appealing as Jane Nichols. . ." which adds relatability to the character (35).
James Marsden also is portrayed as an average looking man, who isn't all that interested in love and marriage and is writing a wedding newspaper column to get by. Using his sarcastic attitude towards marriage, like commenting at the beginning of the movie how most marriages don't last very long, Marsden's character can relate to some of the men in the audience, helping to make the film appeal to a bigger audience.
While there are so many romantic comedies out there, 27 Dresses lives up to every expectation of the right amount of comedy, romance and relatability of the characters. Both Heigl and Marsden, as well as the other cast members, do an excellent job of interjecting the right amount of comedic and romantic aspects while still keeping the relatability of the characters alive. 27 Dresses is a film that anyone could watch over and over again and still get the same love-filled and funny reaction every time. While other good rom-coms are out there competing for the spot on your "Favorite Romantic Comedy" list, 27 Dresses definitely should be at the top.
October 20, 2014
My wife and I watch it all the time!
½ September 15, 2014
Boring love triangle blah, blah, blah, annoying characters blah, blah, blah, horribly predictable script and plot, blah, blah, blah I don't care anymore. Terrible movie. Stay far away.
September 1, 2014
Love it. Kinda revisit it every chance I get. Marsden was perfect and so easy to fall for.