3 Backyards - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

3 Backyards Reviews

½ February 15, 2016
Unnecessarily cryptic.
June 4, 2015
Slow-moving, disjointed and pointless.
January 5, 2015
a rather strange and bizarre insight into several people's lives
the music is odd but all the actors are sensational in each of their story arcs
some events are life-changing, some are scary, some are more unfulfilling
½ May 24, 2014
Terrible film. I want that hour and a half back...
½ February 12, 2014
Gee a movie about angst set in suburban Long Island.
NOTE TO THE WRITER, this theme has been done to death and them some. Why not attempt something unique next time, and angst thrives in the "city" too.
April 7, 2013
The stories were good, but all together I didn't know what to do with them or how to feel...
Harlequin68
½ August 10, 2012
"3 Backyards" starts with John(Elias Koteas) having a staring contest with his wife(Kathryn Erbe) at 3:30 am before he leaves to catch a flight that turns out to be canceled. He's not the only one leaving town as an actress(Embeth Davidtz) asks her neighbor Peggy(Edie Falco) for a ride to the Port Jefferson Ferry. And because she is just a kid, Christina(Rachel Resheff) has to go to school, even though she just missed the school bus.

The thing I like most about "3 Backyards" are its moments of silence that not only allow the actors to take control but also say more than any of the dialogue does. What the movie comes tantalizingly close to depicting is the emptiness of suburban lives, as the distance between people only allows them to watch each other, not connect.(There is one moment of dislocation that is probably more accidental than anything else.) However, none of that is as interesting as it sounds here, as the movie lacks anything in the way of well-defined characters.
June 10, 2012
Estupenda pelicula. Actuaciones de primera. La pelicula cautiva al espectador.
½ April 26, 2012
Nothing happens in this movie but it makes you feel like something is about to happen in any minute. I guess this is the only thing I could say about it.
½ April 1, 2012
Unlike those indie directors whose feel-good, P.C. claptrap predictably gets praised by the very people it flatters, Mendelsohn makes suburban poetry that opposes the way middle-class film culture likes to fantasize itself.
February 29, 2012
An intimate look into the eyes of 4 different stories. All work so well and are mostly quite sad. The acting here is astounding though, and it's worth a look for that alone. Very real moments here.
½ February 10, 2012
Plod along to this muddled yarn that tells the tale of three ordinary lives that may seem insignificant individually, but once they become intertwined they become... er,....insignificant? There's nothing in this film that gives good cause for you to choke on your cornflakes, and that I'm afraid, is something I look for in a Friday night. But, in case you have accidentally purchased this from the bargin bin at Walmart, store in a cool dry place on stand-by in case you ever run out of NyQuil.
½ January 11, 2012
Interesting layout of events. Had a realism to it. I loved it.
½ December 30, 2011
this is an odd movie. it kinda reminded me of stephen kings cats eye except for the horror or quentin tarantinos pulp fiction without the violence. very interesting and par of it made me feel so awkward while at the same time i was laughing. t came on late last night and i was up late because i just couldnt turn it off, even though the whole time i was thinking "i cant believe im watching a movie like this".
December 27, 2011
There was no resolution to any of the stories. Kept waiting for something to happen. That's 88 minutes my husband and I won't get back. Even the next day, we are still baffled by the intent of this movie.
½ December 26, 2011
This was the absolute worst movie that I have ever seen.
December 19, 2011
LI suburbia noir...an indie American Beauty.
December 18, 2011
Watched it and it was one of the most boring movies I have ever seen. Do not waste your time!
December 16, 2011
The very worst movie I've ever seen.....Nothing about Nothing!!!!!!!!!!! An hour and a half of wasted shit!!!!! Just glad they didn't waste 2 hours of my time.......The entire movie made no sense whatsoever!
December 2, 2011
What is up with all of the positive reviews?I think people watch something like this that is as boring as it could possibly be and say it was genius to make themselves sound cultured or something.This was not interesting or intelligent....it was about nothing and boring.