30 Days of Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

30 Days of Night Reviews

August 31, 2015
this is a GREAT movie! UNDERRATED and fantastic! My favorite movie in awhile, seriously, check it out!
July 27, 2015
Josh Hartnett is the main reason why I watched this film. The vampire aspect comes second because I miss "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" so much. This could've been a great flick if it stopped trying to be like "28 Days Later," especially with the soundtrack. What I liked best about this film is the tone: it's consistenly menacing because the shadows and the snow became their own character. I didn't like the foreign vampires at all, which I initially assumed to be Russian. I didn't like the ending that much because I thought it was an easy way out. I also didn't like the way the vampires would kill people and how the camera would shake relentlessly. Still, I didn't hate the movie. I simply thought it was okay. It's not worth going to the cinema for but it is more than enough for a Netflix rental.
½ July 5, 2015
One of the better Suspence- movies , entertaining enough . Josh does a good job , how do they cast some of that ugly people ? Not an honor my idea . SOMDVD
June 13, 2015
Some very effective scare and gore scenes and some well executed performances can't help the lack of a cohesive narrative. It is an interesting premise though and Danny Huston is quite effective as the leader of the pack of marauding vampires.
May 16, 2015
An awesome movie based on the graphic novel! The vampires in this movie are really badass! A good movie to watch for Halloween.
½ May 16, 2015
The positive is that the vampires are scary...that's it.
April 17, 2015
A very well done and true vampire movie, Hartnett is dead on in this one.
March 29, 2015
Loses half a star for featuring a lead vampire who looks like he should be in a Pet Shop Boys tribute act.
March 11, 2015
A new-age, brilliant vampire movie that never got the acclaim it rightfully deserved.

30 Days of Night is one of the few films I like that I can never understand why other people don't. Though I do prefer other movies like Revolver, Doomsday and Donnie Darko to it, with those I can always understand when people don't see in them what I do. With 30 Days of Night, if you don't have a problem with gore, then you shouldn't have a problem with the film. And yet I have personal friends as well as people I've heard from online who totally dig horror, gore, vampires etc. and yet don't like 30 Days of Night, which confuses me all to Hell, let me tell you.

Though I was mildly aggravated by the inconstancies in the number of vampires around, other than that I can find virtually nothing bad to say about 30 Days of Night. Firstly you have Josh Hartnett (Halloween H20: 20 Years Later, The Faculty, The Virgin Suicides, Hollywood Homicide, Sin City, The Wrong Man, Resurrecting the Champ, Singularity) as Sheriff Eben, protagonist, secondly you have Danny Huston (21 Grams, The Proposition, The Constant Gardner, Children of Men, The Number 23, The Kingdom, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Clash of the Titans, The Warrior's Way, Robin Hood [2010]) as Marlow (above centre), leader of the vampires, who attack Alaska during the winter period of 30 days without sun (which in and of itself is an awesome concept, and thirdly there's Ben Foster (The Punisher, X-Men: The Last Stand, 3:10 to Yuma, Pandorum, The Mechanic) as the vampire's human lapdog, all of whom are personal favourites of mine. That's not even mentioning the fact that Eben's wife is played by Australian Melissa George (Dark City, Mulholland Drive, Charmed, The Amityville Horror [2005], Turistas, Triangle), who was born in my hometown, so even if she wasn't a great actor, she'd get auto-points.

Basically every point in which 30 Days of Night differentiates from the comic it's based on is an improvement to the story, which is (gasp, shock, horror) a mildly realistic Vampire film. God forbid. I love the vampires in this. Though they're not quite as sexy and well-dressed as they are in Underworld or as demonic as they are in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, they bring a totally new brutality to the vampire class. They wear what you'd expect late 30-ish people living in 2007 to wear, they're stronger than the average human, but not impossibly so, they hunt in packs and give off bloodcurdling, atavistic shrieks (of which I give quite a good impression; sidenote) they're unrelenting an animalistic but just as intelligent as a regular person, they're quick, dark and deadly.

There's no camp to be found here, not always a good thing, but in 30 Days of Night, it is. I honestly cannot recommend this one enough, despite its intense gore and general panning, I implore you to at the very least give it a go, and decide for yourself.

Both the human survivors and the vampire invaders are there simply trying to stay alive, the vamps through their sadistic, systematic hunting of the local populace for their food-source, blood, and the people by trying to both hide, and fight back, but mostly the former. Ironically, it's the "humanity" of the humans that causes every one of their downfalls, while they're leached from above by a far superior race, who goes so far as to call humans a "plague" and invent a new language all for themselves, just so as to not have to speak the same filthy way we lower-beings do (and I mean, if your choice was between that and having to put up with American-English, wouldn't you?).

83%

-Gimly
½ February 26, 2015
Falls flat due to uninteresting and undeveloped characters.
February 18, 2015
Decent concept - clunky, stilted, and un-interesting.
Don't bother.
February 9, 2015
love this movie and it's where I got Ebyn's name ?
½ February 1, 2015
First time I saw this movie I didn't particularly like it, but I came to it second time around knowing that it isn't the fastest paced horror movie around. Visually stunning, the premise is superb as are the proper vampires. The only thing that stops it from being one of the best horror movies of all time is the slightly pedestrian interraction between the characters. It's pretty damn fine nonetheless and generally very underrated.
½ January 17, 2015
I found the storyline original but the film bogs down in a lack of scares
January 15, 2015
This starts slowly, but there is a moody atmosphere building. The cold isolation works great as a way to ramp up the tension. The premise is something new for the vampire genre. I like the originality. The style also has a good look to it. The acting is pretty good for a horror movie. Ben Foster has the most interesting role. Josh Hartnett gets the leading man role. It's a good horror movie with something different.
January 15, 2015
I'm not really into the horror and vampire flicks.
½ January 13, 2015
An excellent horror premise with the requisite R-rated violence that just misses the mark due to poor execution of the 30 days timeline and bland characters. The setup for the terror is perfect and the idea that vampires would take advantage of a town with a 30-day blackout is chilling to the bone. These are some of the nastiest vampires ever put to screen who don't even have the decency to wash the blood off of their faces and they totally steal the show! Unfortunately once the action gets underway, the survival plot doesn't unfold all that well and you can barely tell when time has jumped, how they fed themselves, and how the vampires weren't able to find them by dumb luck. The acting is just average from the likes of Josh Hartnett and Melissa George, but the vampires bring a level of menace and Danny Huston was effective as the leader. This could've been really great with another draft of the script, but it's still a nasty, gruesome horror film that succeeds on it's premise alone; and I do mean gruesome!
½ January 7, 2015
Non-cliche vampire movie.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
A pretty good vampire movie taking place in cold Alaska in a small town under 30 dark days.. much violence and well made movie and worth seeing if u are interested in these kind of movies.
½ November 1, 2014
Among the worst horror movies I have ever seen. Slow, gratuitously gory, predictable and wholly unengaging plot-wise.