35 Rhums (35 Shots of Rum) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

35 Rhums (35 Shots of Rum) Reviews

½ August 24, 2011
Perfectly balanced; perfectly contained. Not all is revealed, and yet enough is revealed to not leave you completely guessing or confused. It's described as "slice of life", and that it is. My wife gives it a 5; I rate it lower, so we came to this compromise.
August 8, 2011
With so many new directors bringing their films to festivals and Cinemas and quickly getting names for themselves, it's a real joy that Claire Denis still stands tall as a true original film maker; challenging and pushing the bounderies of storytelling in a fresh and intimidating way.

35 Shots Of Rum has a structure and pace where only the patient cinema goers and dedicated Denis fans will benefit from, however its innovation and unique method of storytelling is undoubtedly where the film truly delivers.

Lionel (Alex Descas) is a widower and lives with his daughter, Jo (Mati Diop). They have an extraordinarily close relationship where neither one of them have moved on to form any other relationship since the death of their mother/wife, other than the one they both share with each other. It's almost fly-on-the-wall stuff where you feel like a voyeur to a normal everyday running of a household where nothing much happens; Denis never puts scenes together that are perhaps obvious in a traditional sense. It moves tenderly, sways between love in both a family setting and a romantic one, but its always subtle and never heavy handed. It's this unorthodox style that Claire Denis has always approached (Beau Travail, Vendredi Soir), leaving some viewers either in awe of her or completely irritated by her. Maybe there's an argument for both? My thoughts of 35 Shots Of Rum is of a calming, moral and enchanting film. It's a film that presents a refreshing and introspective tale on family and relationships, from an angle devoid of the common and accepted approach we so often see in today's cinema.
½ June 11, 2011
nice to look at but very slow and plodding with just the flimsy story.
May 24, 2011
this movie sucked. its extremely slow and there is practically no dialogue for a movie of that length, there are many missing pieces and it leaves you with more questions then anything. waste of time
May 20, 2011
This is a wonderful little film about touch. It's a moment in a 'coming-of-age' story, but with the focus leaning more towards the 'coming-of-old-age' fears of a father. A simple, occasionally clumsy, but ultimately great little film the way the French make these kinds of movies, with not much going on, but stuffed with the enormous space to find our way into the lives of these people as they think and love and worry. The layers here are unspoken, appear simple, but given all that space they seem to go on forever.
May 16, 2011
Pootles along a bit aimlessly, unfortunately, though the heart is clearly in the right place. The opening section, largely silent, is great, and the music (Tindersticks) is lovely throughout. Good performances, visually very competent, etc etc but I just couldn't see the point I'm afraid.
May 7, 2011
Intriguing how different are the critic and user ratings. Ultimately this is not a quiet, beautiful picture, but simply an inert one.
April 27, 2011
My first encounter with Claire Denis, Amazing!!
April 15, 2011
me like it very much
April 13, 2011
Detail-oriented family drama about changes in life and relationships due to age and love. What's most fascinating about the film is how some of what one would consider the biggest plot moments are off-screen, and we only see the emotional aftermath to them. The weakest point is that some of the side relationships never make it past their symbolic value.
½ February 22, 2011
I am now a Clair Denis fan thanks to this movie. Beautifully shot and executed.
½ February 21, 2011
What great atmosphere! and "Night Shift" was icing on the cake :)
February 10, 2011
Quiet slow moving films are great especially when there are no car chases and people firing guns at each other, but this story about four people living in the same block of flats had too little happening, it was impossible to work out what they were doing and why, and I felt no connection with any of them.
January 21, 2011
i like the way it consciously sets against hollywood narratives.
January 15, 2011
International Film magazine Sight and Sound declared Claire Denis as the finest film director working today and I can see why. There are a couple of reasons why 35 Shots of Rhum is a magnificent little film and Claire Denis is a master director.

1) It is a French modern day drama without being a typical "French" film meaning characters don't sit and randomly talk about philosophy and life and relationships.

2) It handles delicately a father-daughter relationship, something that is absolutely non existent in contemporary cinema. The culture today has very little time for older people and in turn, cinema has very little time for older characters as Guardian's Ann Bilson talked about recently. So it was refreshing to see a film about 4 principal characters, 2 of who belong to the older generation.

3) It is set in modern day France but has an all black cast and yet never even makes a glancing blow to make the point that "look I am making a film in France about black people.
½ January 1, 2011
a story of father and daughter, living in a apartment complex and there close relationship living alone and there friends around them, a interesting story which while not to exiting at times does have some interesting moments of drama, and some warm performances to watch throughout
December 15, 2010
not everyone will be able to handle 35 Shots Of Rum... (get it?) but the understatement in the dialogue and subtleties of the story arc are a major win for director Claire Denis. the film is pretty slow and unapologetically melancholic, but both its speed and tone appropriately portray the tale of this father/daughter drama. poignant in its realism, 35 Shots Of Rum is a story of change and the adjustments we all must make as life moves. told through restrained melodrama, Denis thankfully doesn't feel the need to spell out every detail for the audience, which lends this film an elusiveness that quickens its languid pace.