Three Colors: Blue (Trois Couleurs: Bleu) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Three Colors: Blue (Trois Couleurs: Bleu) Reviews

January 18, 2017
Juliette Binoche, the cinematography, the music (for god's sake, the music!), everything in the opening title to Kieslowski's trilogy is painful and beautiful at the same time. Such a powerful film.
January 12, 2017
Brilliant, tragic, and rife with coincidence and fate.
½ January 3, 2017
Krzysztof Kieslowski's deft direction and Juliette Binoche's typically outstanding performance makes Three Colors: Blue an absorbing first installment of the colors trilogy
½ December 24, 2016
Kieslowski takes us in a painful incursion into grief and heavy suffering as he creates an intriguing association between sorrow and emotional liberty (a terribly ironic interpretation of the color blue in the French flag), and Binoche is wonderful as a woman torn by lost.
December 15, 2016
I wish I had words... to explain the inexplicable. Tremendous exploration on loss, suffering, running from itself, cutting off all the bonds, redemption and love. This is a unique experience: visual, spiritual and emotional. It works on every level there is in a human soul and body. I'm apprehensive to go on watching movies for it may be all others are inferior to this..
½ November 9, 2016
The best in the trilogy, and deeply memorable. Beautifully acted, shot and directed.
½ October 19, 2016
Blue is an immersing film with great visuals and deep characters.
September 6, 2016
I wish i could understand more
April 28, 2016
Magnificent film, greatly written, acted and produced, this independent film is absolutely unique in style, tone and context. definitely a great watch and a beautiful visual experience.
April 21, 2016
This is like if Haneke allowed some warmth in his movies. A heart-dropping tragedy that overcomes its soap opera-esque storyline to artfully talk about the price of liberty. The somewhat obvious motif of blue is both subtle and ubiquitous, while the simultaneously analytical and emotional use of music is beyond wonderful (swelling and going to black during her grieving). And Binoche...my Lord....we get nearly the entire emotional arc of the film simply through images of her beautifully pained face.
April 19, 2016
3.7/5

Powerful and emotional even with its slight missteps in rythm , Blue as the start of a trilogy offers plenty of emotion and artistic and provocative visuals through its directing and well thought out story.
½ March 21, 2016
A beautiful Juliette Binoche setting the loss of her husband and daughter aside, and tries to make a clean pathway through her forced new-life. Emotions are colored in the chill of blueness. The visual and creative and playful shots of a young and destined woman trying to gain control over her life..
February 24, 2016
Juliette Binoche and classical music and intriguing (blue) cinematography are what stand out the most for me. Grief and emotional liberty? Not so much.
February 1, 2016
RESPLENDENT VISUAL IM·AGE·RY.
½ February 1, 2016
31%
Saw this on 1/2/16
A fucking piece of shit. This is a pointless and overrated film without even a trace of a plot or character development. It doesn't say anything clearly about what happened in the past of the main character, whether she is the one who actually did the composing or not. A complete waste of my hour and half.
½ November 22, 2015
If the concept of freedom is what drives Blue, the first of Krzysztof Kie?lowski's Three Colors trilogy, then the verdict on whether or not it exists does not seem to be a positive one. Julie's life is upended by a sudden death, and this sets off a series of reactions that force her to question her own individuality and her relation to those in her life. Kie?lowski's direction is gorgeous, imbuing various hues of blue throughout and exhibiting stylish, though never bombastic, flair behind the camera. This is not a happy film, and its message is both true to life and beautifully communicated, suggesting that the act of living is never up to any individual's choice, that free will is a myth predicated upon the desire to assuage the fears of those who desperately want to stake a claim on their own existence; eventually they, like Julia, will be forced to acknowledge this harsh reality.
½ November 19, 2015
Probably my least favorite of the trilogy, but still good in its own right. The musical cues are interesting, and the leading performance by Juliet Binoche is great. However, this movie is mostly slow and uninteresting to me.
November 8, 2015
beautiful, sad, honest, inspiring.
September 30, 2015
Possibly the most bleak and definitely my favorite of the trilogy, Blue explores how free one can truly be from one's past. It's really sad, but also quite hopeful in it's own way. The direction is flawless and Juliette Binoche is fantastic in the lead role. This is a gem of a film