3 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

3 Reviews

May 29, 2012
I see a lot of pontential here, but the film doesn't seem to know what it wants.

PLOT:Anchorwoman Hanna (Sophie Rois) and engineerng artist Simon (Sebastian Schipper) have been in love for at least 20 years and living with each other. They're real, down-to-earth, childless people that have been through a lot as a couple. Things are going pretty well with their romance until they each meet stem cell doctor, Adam (David Striesow) and fall in love with him. It's a intersting plot executed artisicly, but it is has a few development problems which I'll get to later on.

ACTING:The acting was pretty good throughout. I believe the best performances came from Sophie Rois as Hanna and David Striesow as Adam, but disagreeabley, I thought Sebastian Schipper was kind of bland as Simon. I didn't see true emotion come out through him as I did with Sophie and David.

SCORE:The score was made up of a few calm, mood-setting peices and a few notable songs. It was good, I'd say.

EFFECTS:I don't know if the effects were done in real time, considering this is an indie film, or if they were done through make-up and such, but they were good because they looked real and were even cringe-worthy, which I'll explain in the next section.

OTHER CONTENT:I am new to Tom Twyker's films and direction styles, but I can already see a lot of pontential in his style. He starts off the film with a passing car and a voice explaining the life of Hanna and Simon, along with an interpretive dance of the film's main events. It also had multiple screen shots at one time, a brief animation, and the notable scene of the three main characters lying naked fading against a white background. He has earned my respect with his unique direction and editing style for sure, but this had a couple major problems. The plot isn't real well developed; some of the events (such as Simon's mother's death and his testicular operation) have so little to do with the plot that it distracts from the main idea of the plot. It really just ends up as unneeded. Also, the character development as a small problem. Twyker tries to incorporate accurate character development by filming that little scene in the beginning with the passing car and putting those unneeded events in the film, but it doesn't make up for how we see their personalities shine. They end up looking like karma-stricken victims in a horror film due to the problems. This film wasn't really my cup of tea, to be truthful. At times it grossed me out and made me want to stop watching. I think that's another reason why I didn't favor it due to the wonderful direction...

OVERALL,an ok indie film with an intersting and artistic plot, pretty good acting, just good score, real-looking effects, and a visionistic direction by Twyker, but the plot isn't real well developed, the character development has a few problems, and the film just wasn't my type.
May 29, 2012

May 18, 2012
saya ga tau apakah di kehidupan nyata ada kejadian seperti tergambarkan di film jerman Drei ini. yang pasti, saya suka dengan endingnya. :)
½ May 2, 2012
The three primary actors are excellent as is the entire cast. The cinematography and film manipulation by Frank Griebe (with Twyker) and the musical score Reinhold Heil, Johnny Klimek, Gabriel Isaac Mounsey, and Tom Tykwer (with a little help form Debussy and others!) is splendid. This is a first class film and deserves the attention of a very wide audience. It is likely to be one of those films that grows in stature with the passage of time.
½ March 19, 2012
Jajajaja muy buen, solo los alemanes podrian hacer eso. Es obvio que una coincidencia como esa es poco probable pero nunca se sabe. Es un drama pero hay muchas risas. Me parece un guion inteligente y la forma de culminar la historia aun mejor jajaja..
March 8, 2012
Más que una cinta con trama telenovelera es una reflexión sobre la sexualidad, el quebrar de los paradigmas y el amor. Una cinta que pudo convertirse en un drama cualquiera, destaca por la dirección y estilo de su director Tom Tykwer. El estilo est (C)tico del director esta presente en cada plano y la dirección de los actores es perfecta. La fotografía y la musicalización inmensas.
½ February 29, 2012
This film takes place in Berlin. A couple whose relationship is in a rut, inadvertently fall in love with the same man.
½ February 23, 2012
underwhelming is the word.
The13x
February 18, 2012
Eccentrically weird is the first thought came to mind when the movie finished. The idea is bold and interesting but by the second half of the movie, I realize that '3' didn't really follow the usual Hollywood formula with overwhelming emotions, drama or consequences. It just simply flow and not bother by the result or actions. All the actors delivered good performance but definitely nothing memorable. Watch it if you're intrigue or not move along.

6/10.
January 8, 2012
I like Tom Tykwer. I think he has made some great films, but he's not flawless.

This particular movie is sweet and funny in a strange way. Superficial, yes, but heartwarming despite. I enjoyed the cheesy at times soundtrack, and the performances. The plot was obvious and easy, and the characters almost cartoonish, but I still had a nice time during it.

I like films that portray unconventional relationships, and the relationship between the three main characters was tender and believable. Not as excellent as other Tykwer movies have been, but this is definitely not his worst.
January 4, 2012
O filme tem uma história interessante, embora não exatamente original, e personagens com quem (C) possível, inicialmente, manter alguma identificação. Mas o ritmo irregular e o roteiro meio frouxo atrapalham um pouco a coisa. E o filme merecia uma personagem feminina mais interessante. Ganhou a terceira estrelinha quando o casal idoso que sentava ao meu lado saiu da sala, horrorizado, enquanto Simon e Adam descobriam mais possibilidades de seu relacionamento. :)
½ December 4, 2011
Tom Tykwer is one of my favorite directors and he has achieved into catching my attention with this love triangle you never see in commercial movies.
November 24, 2011
kinda different , good ending but its a bit long and overall below my expectations.
½ November 21, 2011
I really loved it. I just watched it in the Cali International Film Festival; It is very subtle and full of tenderness, funny and sensitive at the same time; I didn't find it pretentious as some people say... Its not perfect, its rythm is irregular, its main characters are complex, even misterious and elusive, etc, but at the end is kinda happily disturbing...
November 13, 2011
I have to say I was disappointed with this one, especially considering how much I enjoyed Tykwer's other work.
October 20, 2011
maybe a eye candy but i would not watch it ...
weird plot ..... a happy couple .... woman has an affair .... the man has affair with the same man his wife is having ???? i mean wow ;p
October 11, 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed watching this film, with its cheeky kitchy premise and how this threesome got together played out, realistically not.
October 9, 2011
Una película con un planteamiento interesante pero que en el desarrollo deja mucho que desear, a veces se pasa de pretenciosa otras veces brillante pero al final se siente que no encuentra su ritmo.
October 1, 2011
Starts off as a potentially amusing send-up of art films, but quickly becomes an unsuccessful attempt at turning Jules and Jim into a screwball comedy.
½ September 29, 2011
A pretty good movie.. It's a bit of monogamy "overkill," but such movies are needed to bring more attention to the general public. There are also many additional messages and side stories that do not seem to tie directly with the plot, until you think more deeply. Definitely worth seeing.