3 Days To Kill - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

3 Days To Kill Reviews

Page 1 of 70
½ February 24, 2019
Some people just do not like to be entertained, I guess. Too many people want to compare 1 movie with another, do not like action flicks but watch them & rate them poorly anyway or think every movie has to be the greatest piece of art ever made. The purpose of these types of movies is to ENTERTAIN & 3 Days does that & does it quite well. There are some humorous notes added, some dry humor as well & they mix nicely with the action. Speaking of action, it is nott crazy, over the top like you would find in Shoot Em Up (which was more of a spoof of shootem up type action flicks anyway).
Just relax & lose yourself in the character & enjoy the movie. Hell, even my wife loved it & she does not like action movies.
October 28, 2018
Ok. Action. Kevin Costner. Not much else.
April 30, 2018
A very watchable carbon copy of Taken but not as good. Costner is on fine form and action fans will enjoy this.
March 24, 2018
I watched Kevin Costners film Criminal so then I was bored and watched another Kevin Costner film... 3 Days To Kill... He basically plays the exact same gruff character as in Criminal. He even has flash backs of his wife and daughter on the beach like in Criminal. Anyway this movie is terrible. He is a secret agent who is dying and is trying to make amends with his estranged wife and kid but at the same time is trying to kill someone and is taking experimental meds.. anyway who cares. This movie is so annoying. He buys his kid a bike and keeps following her around with the fucking thing. LOSE THE BIKE DOUCHEBAG.... He lets a black homeless family live in his house like squatters and then one of them gives birth to a kid in his front room and he still wants them to stay but nooooo theyve principles and are leaving coz they promised to leave after the baby was born and we all know homeless squatters are people of their word. So fucking stupid. I think theyre trying to be funny in this movie but it doesnt work.... Its mostly just stupid and annoying.
½ February 18, 2018
Dallo scontro frontale tra il cinema d'azione del peggior Luc Besson e la meccanica delle pellicole americane di genere che tanto amano trascinarsi un protagonista stanco e annoiato ma non meno infallibile e romantico, ecco vedere la luce 3 Days To Kill, un clone tanto indesiderato quanto innecessario, capace forse di togliere il fiato a Kevin Costner ma non, questo è certo, allo spettatore. Come si credeva, una volta eliminato questo fastidioso primo macigno dallo stomaco, la recensione del nuovo film di McG sembra tutta in discesa. Ma cerchiamo di andare incontro al regista: un po' di scoppiettante intrattenimento cinematografico non ha mai fatto male a nessuno, specie se con l'intento di svagare; passi questa, passi che grazie alla presenza di Hailee Steinfeld, classe '96 ma già incredibilmente matura e di cui a ben sperare si parlerà moltissimo in futuro (c'è chi ancora non ha smesso di applaudire la sua performance ne Il Grinta), passi che la sceneggiatura scritta dal duo Besson-Hasak punta in varie parti al dissacramento autoironico di un genere ormai troppo scontato e stupido per prendersi sul serio, passi che in fondo Kevin Costner sembra adatto a trascinare stancamente sé stesso per le strade di Parigi, passi. Con tutti questi passi però, e ripensando alle varie attività dell'attore, vengono in mente tutt'altre cose.

Difatti, complice una ripresa notturna illuminata magnificamente dallo scintillio della Senna e della Tour Eiffel, quando appare Kevin Costner intento a mangiare armato di bacchette e in completo alla James Bond un piatto d'asporto giapponese, viene da chiedersi come abbia potuto tradire Valleverde e passare al mercato del sushi, piuttosto che a quanto assurda e strampalata risulta l'intera scena e perché. La risposta a tanta idiozia la si trova minuti dopo essere usciti dalla sala, intenti a ripescare dalla visione una minima traccia di rimarcabilità o senso, e scoprendo una favolosa linea piatta. Insomma, tanta confusione per nulla, tanta Amber Heard super-sexy, tante iniezioni allucinogene seguite da altrettante bevute di vodka per alleviarne gli effetti, tantissime sparatorie e scazzottate, tanti graffi, bossoli, allusioni sessuali più o meno velate, ma soprattutto tanti buoni motivi per scansare la pallottola sparata malamente da McG, che a differenza di Terminator Salvation sembra un pastrocchio in bello stile e con una strizzata d'occhio. Però che classe Kevin Costner quando ti fa l'occhiolino.

Uno stereotipato e a tratti ironico déjà-vu dell'anello di congiunzione tra i film d'azione americani e quelli francesi, di cui Besson stesso è il capostipite.
Pro: L'atteggiamento a metà tra il goffo e lo svogliato di Kevin Costner, alcune gag autoironiche sul genere sparatutto, la classe recitativa di Hailee Steinfeld.
Contro: L'insensatezza del film tutto, sensualissima Amber Heard compresa, la scontatezza iperbolica della direzione registica e narrativa.
½ November 19, 2017
I could've done without Zoey. She was a pain in the ass!!!!
August 19, 2017
and no more than 3 stars to give.
August 16, 2017
SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Greg, good things come in threes. The musketeers, the little pigs, the stooges, etc.

GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) It seemed like I had three hours to kill watching 3 Days to Kill.

SCOTT: We meet Ethan Renner (Kevin Costner), a CIA assassin agent who is dying of cancer. He moves to Paris to spend his last few months near his ex-wife and teenage daughter, from whom he s been estranged for five years. While in Paris, Renner is assigned the task of killing a man nicknamed The Albino (Tomas Lemarquis), who is plotting to unleash a smart bomb on the general public. Meanwhile, Renner discovers that his ex-wife and daughter want little to do with him.

GREG: To give Renner ample incentive to complete the job, Vivi, (Amber Heard) his diabolical boss lady, offers him an experimental serum that will cure him. It has strange side effects, however and leaves Renner incapacitated without warning. Back home, ex-wife Christine (Connie Nielsen) is going on a business trip and needs Renner to watch over daughter Zoe (Hailee Steinfeld) for three days. Hilarity ensues when the CIA hit man must juggle the duties of daily spy work with fatherly responsibilities.

SCOTT: Greg, we all try to find a balance between our work lives and our personal lives. This struggle is the main recurring theme of 3 Days to Kill, with the added twist that the hero of the story is a CIA assassin on assignment who is dying of cancer. Renner tries to reconnect with his daughter while hunting his villainous prey, and the movie tries to be a bit too cute by including scenes where he is literally on the phone parenting his child while dodging bullets. A curious yet appealing element of this movie centers on the family of squatters who take over his apartment. They are quirky and culturally different, and the elder among them ends up sharing his wisdom with Renner. This is a nice nod to the classic mentor figure in hero tales, a figure who is typically deviant and mysterious. Another mentor character is Renner s ex-wife Christine, who also imparts wisdom to Ethan about life s priorities. She helps Renner, a long-time assassin, transform himself into a loving, pacifistic family man.

GREG: The film does a pretty good job of balancing action and humor. Unfortunately for me some of the scenes were a bit far-fetched. At one point Renner is at a party with his daughter who wanders off with a boy. Then an all-out gun fight ensues and somehow she is never the wiser. And there are the scenes where the snitch is in the trunk and Zoe is in the front seat and seems not to notice the sounds of a man banging around in the back. It s all a bit far-fetched. If this were a comedy it would be funny but it s a thriller so it s just eye-rolling material. Renner is pretty good hero material. He s dedicated to his work and is trying to mend a strong inner hurt (that of being estranged from his daughter and having little time to reconcile). He s rugged and charismatic. Despite the fact that he has to lie about what he does, he s an honest guy. And he s as reliable as he can be given that people are always out to murder him, which causes him to be late for father-daughter appointments every so often. And he ultimately reconciles with his daughter so he resolves that missing inner quality. Renner s not a complicated hero but he does fit the mold of what we look for in a good hero.

SCOTT: I agree, Greg. And Costner deserves credit for delivering an understated performance that allows us to forgive (mostly) the ill-attempt of the movie to balance silly humor with life-threatening bullies and bullets. But what of the villains? These villains have hackneyed nicknames like the wolf and the albino. Another stereotypical character is Ethan s beautiful and rather villainous CIA boss Vivi, who is just as ruthless as the story s Russian villains. She coerces Ethan to work for her by threatening to withhold treatment for his cancer, leading us to wonder (and perhaps Ethan to wonder, too) who exactly are the good guys here? All three of these villains are oversimplified yawners who are constructed to look menacing and pose danger. But in the end they are uninteresting.

GREG: I agree Scott. Vivi struck me as a sort of anti-villain because she is working for the good guys but is just as corrupt as the bad guys. Sometimes it s hard to tell the difference between a hero and a villain. As Joseph Campbell once said, A hero will do anything to get what he wants, at his own expense. Whereas a villain will do anything to get what he wants, at someone else s expense. And by that definition Vivi falls squarely into the category of villain.

SCOTT: 3 Days to Kill is a surprisingly entertaining movie about a dying man s attempt to juggle his work life and his personal life. Kevin Costner delivers a solid, sympathetic performance as man who is out to redeem himself both professionally and personally. The film features a pretty well-crafted hero s journey with our hero s descent into a dark world of cancer and assassins, a recovery of our hero s missing humanity, and several redemptive acts of triumph at the end. This movie will not win any awards but it is endearing in its own simple way. I give it 3 Reels out of 5. As mentioned above, the hero journey is solid in its arc and with its inclusion of several key allies, love interests, mentors, and villains. I hereby award Renner 3 Heroes out of 5. The villains were disappointing and dragged the film down. Had the villains been interesting or endowed with some kind of depth, 3 Days to Kill might have been a very good movie. But we re given simple cartoon-like characters who are almost laughable in their stereotypical minimalism. I generously award this film 2 Villains out of 5. Movie: Heroes: Villains:

GREG: Scott I think we re pretty well-aligned here. Any father with a teen-aged daughter will feel the pull of work versus family that Renner has to deal with. Most of us don t have to literally fight to get home at the end of the day so seeing Renner take fatherhood to the absurd extreme made for light entertainment. I also award 3 out of 5 Reels for an entertaining thriller wrapped in a family conundrum. The hero here is pretty basic and as you point out Costner plays the role casually, and that works for him. We re satisfied with the resolution as he reunites with Zoe. So I give Renner 3 out of 5 Heroes. So often we measure our heroes by the quality of their villains. The villains here were mostly offscreen and were mere shadows of characters. The real villain here was Renner s ties to his work, which many men feel. Vivi is the physical manifestation of that conflict. But she s a typical femme-fatale that we ve seen before. The villains don t give Renner much to play against and so I give them just 2 Villains out of 5. Movie: Heroes: Villains:
July 3, 2017
This movie was directed by McG, which means critics are going to hate it by default. Don't listen to them. This movie is to me the legit third part of the Luc Besson Assassin Trilogy that started with La Femme Nikita, and continued with Leon: The Professional.
April 25, 2017
Glad I didn't trust the reviews. Kevin Costner at his best. Love the subtle humour and overt action. Great casting with the exception of Amber Heard who seems so out of place.
March 13, 2017
"3 Days to Kill" is an average action comedy film that features Kevin Costner doing his best "gruff Harrison Ford" impression. It intersperses several well-executed shootout sequences with a shallow family plot. The Parisian setting and the intrigue behind Amber Heard's character set the stage for a riveting story but what develops feels like a bunch of ideas that were borrowed from other films. As I mentioned, Costner's voice and disposition are reminiscent of most Harrison Ford action films, his crippling adrenaline-induced hallucinations seem to be inspired by "Crank," and the plot device of a man trying to develop a relationship with his daughter amidst dangerous spy missions feels very cliché. This led to a familiarity that had my wife and I debating whether we had seen the film before. The predictability of the family story left little room for surprises. We even developed an expectation that one particular character would reveal herself to be a bad guy... only to realize that we were remembering a different film and definitely had not seen this one before. While the story lacks originality, much of the comedy hits the target. The running gag of Costner's "I Love It" ringtone going off at inappropriate moments never gets old and his reliance on his targets (Mitat and Guido) to help mend his relationship with Zooey creates some great moments. If you are looking for a serious action film, "3 Days to Kill" will let you down but if you are looking for something predictable and light, it might be just what you are looking for.
½ January 26, 2017
Tres días para matar. Es una mezcla de comedia, acción y drama en la que Kevin Costner interpreta a un espía de la CIA radicado en francia y con la misión de terminar con una célula terrorista. No obstante, Ethan Renner (Costner) tendrá problemas de salud y una familia que cuidar, luego de años de abandono. Su hija adolescente se ha distanciado de él y tratará de recuperarla sin descuidar sus misiones y su problemas de salud. Es una película para sentarse sin pensarla mucho y disfrutar, un verdadero intento de Kevin Costner por demostrar que puede ser un gran actor pero que no necesita tomarse las cosas demasiado serias, con Amber Heard como Vivi Delay, Hailee Steinfeld como Zoey Renner y Connie Nielsen como Christine, las ex mujer de Ethan
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
December 9, 2016
I feel ashamed for even giving this bomb a try. If it was a parody, it would be acceptable--every cliche in the book; but the acting is awful, too.
½ November 28, 2016
As a stand alone film I think this is a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. The right mix of comedy and action. I think unfairly judged by people expecting another Taken or Equalizer. Get a bag of crisps, sit back, switch your brain off and enjoy.
September 18, 2016
Pretty sure we saw this already, it's in hubby's list.
August 28, 2016
I'd call it entertaining.
½ August 12, 2016
I liked this. Costner has been in good ones recently.
August 1, 2016
A pretty enjoyable action movie, filled with comedy elements.
Super Reviewer
½ June 20, 2016
If you took Taken, threw in Crank, and bits of humor, along with the Bourne Identity, you'd have this movie. The plot literally drops in your lap the very second the film begins. Costner does well in his "older badass Taken guy" role. Heard is pretty forgettable as his CIA handler. Good father/daughter story and decent action saves this from a lesser rating.
Page 1 of 70