3 Ninjas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

3 Ninjas Reviews

November 1, 2013
A childhood classic in the same vein as the original TMNT.
September 29, 2013
A definite childhood memory.
July 5, 2013
I enjoyed it at age 10, but was not surprised to see how kiddy this looks today.
June 18, 2013
Me encantan los ninjas y encuentro esta película ofensiva
½ June 4, 2013
A fun movie I grew up emulating with my brother and friends. Cheesy at times, but in context, a great, fun, butt-kicking kids adventure!
May 20, 2013
A half-assed crossover of Home Alone and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. No joke. That is literally what it says in the cover. And you think a crossover of the two biggest crossovers of that year would produce a great movie ........ it doesn't.
May 8, 2013
How could you not love this movie~
March 7, 2013
I pick my movies to review by what Yahoo Movies says I would like based on what I have rated on the site. So, today, I see that "3 Ninjas: High Noon on Mega Mountain" is on Starz Kids and Family, and checked Yahoo Movies, which says I would probably like it based on what I've rated. So I set a reminder on my Comcast Digital Cable box, and the movie comes on. However, it turns out to be the original "3 Ninjas", and not the one I expected to see.

So, I checked Yahoo Movies again, this time for "3 Ninjas". And the site says, based on the movies I've rated, I probably wouldn't like it. It's actually not bad, but not good either.

Brothers "Samuel Jr." (Michael Treanor), "Jeffrey" (Max Elliott Slade) and the always snacking "Michael" (Chad Power) are training to be martial arts experts by their maternal grandfather "Mori Tanaka" (the late Victor Wong, who is the only person to be in every movie in the "3 Ninjas" franchise). "Grandpa", as the boys call him, is a master ninja training the boys, despite their father (Alan McRae) being completely against what he says is nonsense.

During down-time in their training at their "Grandpa's" place, he gives them their "ninja names" (nicknames). "Samuel Jr." is named "Rocky", "Jeffrey" is named "Colt" and "Michael", thanks to his love for snacking, is named "Tum-Tum" (for "tummy).

Their father, "Samuel Sr.", is an FBI agent after a criminal "Hugo Snyder" (Rand Kingsley), who was taught the martial arts by "Tanaka".

The three boys, along with "Samuel Jr's" best friend/girlfriend "Emily" (Kate Sargeant) have to deal with typical schoolyard problems -- including a group of older, larger bullies.

However, the "3 Ninjas" have a bigger problem when "Snyder" sends three bumbling kidnappers to grab the boys to get "Tanaka" to agree to work with him.

Now, the boys need to use their martial arts skills to get away from the kidnappers, and "Snyder".

OK< so I was a little mad that Comcast sent out the wrong information through the on-screen TV Guide. But, since I was pretty bored, I decided to watch the movie.

The movie was definitely targeted to kids. The violence, all in the martial arts hand-to-hand combat, is used mostly for physical comedy. There is also a little gunplay, but no blood. Much of the physical comedy will make kids laugh, and will give a good chuckle to the adults who watch.

The three title actors are good in their performances. The jokes they say are pretty typical for brothers to throw at each other., and are worth some laughs. As for the adults performances, we mainly see Wong and the three actors who portray the three dope-heads. Sadly, "Tanaka" is portrayed more as a tough Sensei than a loving grandfather, but he does have a few moments where he does act like a grandfather. The rest of the adults are barely used in this film. "Samuel Sr." is seen at the start to introduce "Snyder" and at the end, but that is it. And all we know about the "3 Ninja's" mother (Margarita Franco) is the least used of the entire adult cast. Franco is seen in three scenes and does absolutely nothing to advance the plot of the movie. All we really know about the mother is that she is the daughter of "Tanaka".

As for the music, I don't really recall it that well. So, it isn't really worth talking about.

Like I said, kids would like this more than adults. If you ask me, this movie is good to watch on television when the weather is poor. I wouldn't put it on the "Must See" list.
February 24, 2013
I loved this movie when I was eleven.
January 22, 2013
A classic kids movie. The first is still the best.
½ January 20, 2013
Didn't they end up making like 17 of these?
½ January 10, 2013
Me and my brother used to watch this all the time, to the point that we knew almost everything they said at the exact time they said it!!
½ December 29, 2012
Dangerous watching for hyperactive 12 year olds
December 28, 2012
"Crosses Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Home Alone" ??? Gag.
½ December 16, 2012
Rocky loves Emily ROCKY LOVES eMILY rOCKY LOVES EMILY!
December 11, 2012
It was ok, When I was like 5 HELLO
December 10, 2012
I liked these movies as a kid, but yeah, they clearly were terrible kids movies.
December 7, 2012
Comedy Kung-fu, ninja kids cper
December 2, 2012
i loved this movie as a kid.
November 27, 2012
I have not seen this one