The 40 Year Old Virgin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The 40 Year Old Virgin Reviews

½ August 21, 2017
7/10 A nice comedy, Carell is not over-the-top. It is sweet, pretty fast so you don't get bored and a bit funny. Nice.
½ August 1, 2017
Steve Carrell just makes any film hilarious, just by looking at his face I want to piss my pants laughing. All in all an enjoyable film.
July 29, 2017
DVD has extended "You know how I know you're gay?" routine
July 21, 2017
Not so bad. Steve Carrell as Andy was meh and Catherine Keener is way too sweet. Paul Rudd, Ray Romano, and Seth Rogen were great. This is a raunch comedy that has some laughs, but they're few and far between.
½ June 29, 2017
One reviewer has called "The 40 Year Old Virgin" "a defining movie about stunted masculinity," and others may hope for a funny comedy. This film is neither, although perhaps it tries to be both. To be the defining film, it would lose the high-school sexual characterizations. To be the comedy, it would have to have more funny lines or scenes. It ends up being a sweet film, but also entirely unremarkable.
June 25, 2017
Exceptionally good comedy about awkwardness, dating, and geeks who have a difficult time with girls. Really funny. One of my favorite all-time movies. Some of the scenes where he dates the crazy women are so true and honest and the acting is amazingly good.
June 25, 2017
When this came out I was not interested at all, but recently AO Scott and Manohla Dargis put it on their 25 best films of the 21st century to my puzzlement so I actually borrowed a dvd from the library. I watched about 20 minutes of this "comedy." What they see in this piece of shit is beyond me...I would put it on the level of Paul Blart or the Jackass movies. I guess the NY times can't be taken too seriously in their best of lists.
May 28, 2017
Pretty informative for a comedic movie, but only got a few laughs out of me.
½ April 29, 2017
Comedy is probably the one genre that is most difficult to hold up over time. It's the one genre that isn't timeless. Most jokes rely on pop culture references, but The 40-Year-Old Virgin manages to do the impossible, make a timeless comedy.

In my opinion, this is Steve Carell and Judd Apatow at their best. While most Carell roles are filled with goofy and over-the-top humor, and most Apatow films are overlong and too raunchy, this film hits on all those cylinders in a good way. This is one of the dirtiest and raunchiest films that I've seen, but I can't picture it working any other way. Especially because that side of things makes you appreciate the really sweet romance between Carell and Catherine Keener. That relationship only works if you understand the world he's living in outside of his romance with her, and the stakes that the film sets up.

This film also features what is perhaps the greatest comedy ensemble of this generation. You have Carell just beginning to hit his prime, Paul Rudd, Seth Rogen, and Romany Malco all rounding out the work group of friends pushing him to lose his virginity. That's not even mentioning Keener, Jane Lynch, Leslie Mann, Elizabeth Banks, and a young Kat Dennings and Jonah Hill. All of them create such memorable characters and scenes with the help of Apatow and Carell's hilarious dialogue. And yes, Apatow had done a bit of television work prior to this, but it's his first directorial effort for a feature film. Quite the impressive start.

There are so many infamously memorable scenes. From the body waxing, to the poker table, the condom scene, the shenanigans from Elizabeth Banks, Leslie Mann drunk driving, or the speed dating scene. From beginning to end, this was comedy gold. And surprisingly, every joke hit just as hard as it did when I first saw the film years ago. Sure, it's hard not to acknowledge the films raunchy humor, but the romance is just as good.

+Still holds up

+The work group is perfectly cast

+Balance between comedy and romance

+Impeccably written

9.5/10
March 2, 2017
Best movie ever....watch the unrated version.
January 2, 2017
This movie is just over the top hilarious balancing raunchy comedy with very sweet romantic moments. "The 40 Year-Old Virgin" is very well written and Steve Carell dominates in his first lead character roll bringing realistic relationship issues to light with Judd Apatow bringing his sharp directing.
December 27, 2016
Still very funny, probably one of my top 10 favourite movies of all time. The nostalgia factor is high, even though it's only 11 years old, it brings me back to a very good time in my life. Lots of great quotes, such talented improvisers, and plenty of vulgar humour. Just delightful.
Watched on Netflix with Sam on vacation in our hotel room in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, December 12, 2016.
December 11, 2016
I've never laughed so hard in my entire life. The waxing scene is unlike anything ive ever seen. So funny.
November 25, 2016
Seriously funny and surprisingly touching. Who'd have thunk?
November 20, 2016
- Watched this yet again, I have seen this countless times now and laugh every time. Steve Carrell is perfect in this and the supporting cast is excellent, there's also a ton of great cameos including Kevin Hart. Very funny movie!

- I have now seen this at least 5 times...just as funny each time. An excellent comedy and Carell is perfect in it as is the supporting cast. Definitely worth seeing!
November 17, 2016
From Judd Apatow, the mastermind producer behind hit comedy 'Anchorman', 'The 40 Year-Old Virgin' is a fantastic blend of comedy, romance and somewhat realistic moments of drama. Staring Steve Carell as the mature virgin, the film doesn't just pull out over-the-top gross humour and gags like many other sex-comedies (a-hem, Inbetweeners... American Pie), it instead thrusts the audience into a world of humour that has a realistic manner to it - no different to your typical night out with the guys where the odd sex joke pops out. All-in-all I think this film is a fantastic comedy that not only showcases the acting ability of Carell and the supporting cast, but focuses on a realistic scenario and then buffs it up with a dose of humour.
½ October 31, 2016
Hilarious and touching while being an interesting look at male sexuality.
½ September 10, 2016
Steve Carrell was so spot on with this comedy that it made up for its too realistic approach of the premise. Not a completely laugh out loud movie but it holds its own in charm and simple characters. But hey, what the hell was that ending song!?
½ September 8, 2016
It is hilarious, it is somewhat relatable, but overall it is a stupendous comedy if it was not for Steve Carrell's performance.
½ September 5, 2016
very hilarious. good story too (4 viewings)