The 40 Year Old Virgin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The 40 Year Old Virgin Reviews

March 14, 2016
With a star making performance and hilarious moments, it's one of the best rated-R comedies of the 2000's.
½ March 5, 2016
The makers of "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" have above all succeeded in avoiding turning in a one-joke film and instead offering a rather sweet, resonant comedy that doesn't run out of steam halfway through. Steve Carrell is very good in the titular role, aided by the highly enjoyable trio of Seth Rogen, Paul Rudd and Romany Malco, and a joyful Catherine Keener. Spicy comedy done right.
March 1, 2016
The 40-Year-Old Virgin is the directorial debut from Judd Apatow, and it stars co-writer Steve Carell in his first film as a main character here in a comedy about a guy who works in an electronic store, lives alone in a house, and never had sex before in his life. So his co-workers try to help a guy out with having sex for the first time. Seeing as this is the only film that Steve Carell has written, I was hoping that it has lots of laughs, and not only does it accomplish them, but it was very sweet and has a heart. Some of the characters may seem unlikable at first, but they redeem themselves by actually helping a guy find either the right girl for her, or just find a random girl to have sex with. The situations that Steve Carell's character has to deal with in order to get a girl is very relatable and can be very funny, especially the chest wax scene. The writing by Steve Carell and Judd Apatow is well written with a lot of funny jokes, and it might as well be a dating tip for guys or girls who want to be in a relationship. You just feel so sorry for Steve Carell's character that you might as well help him also. Steve Carell is really funny in it, and so are the supporting cast like Seth Rogen, Paul Rudd, Romany Malco, and Elizabeth Banks. The chemistry between Steve Carell and Catherine Keener is very well done and they got some funny moments together. The reality of the film is that it's so funny, that Kat Dennings is funny in it and is a bit different from her usual type of humor. As is, The 40-Year-Old Virgin is a hilarious film that I honestly would keep watching that every time that I see it on TV.
February 2, 2016
Watch this movie. It's hilarious.
January 21, 2016
As with most movies, I have to be in the mood for it. However with 40 Year Old Virgin, I could watch it anytime and any day, a hilarious film.
½ January 3, 2016
I had not seen this movie in a while and I decided to view it again, it doesn't disappoint!!! Some of the scenes/jokes are hilarious and pretty clever. The indian guys saying racist jokes may be offensive to some people but it's a comedy, so it was funny. It's a raunchy comedy with some nudity and adult only language...but it works! The only thing keeping me from rating it one point higher is that it feels too long and some of the scenes should have been cut shorter. For example, when he is getting his chest waxed...it was very funny but it stopped being funny because that scenes goes on forever. There are other parts too with this problem but it's only a minor problem. If you want to laugh and you're not easily offended, this is a good comedy with some romance. I rate it 3.5/5 OR 7/10
January 2, 2016
Entertaining, but not as laugh out loud funny as some other Apatow movies
½ January 1, 2016
Thankfully the secondary characters brought a smile to my face.
½ December 31, 2015
Probably second only to Anchorman in quotability. Hilarious dialogue and a brilliant comedic performance from Steve Carell and a supporting cast that I think surpasses the almighty Channel 4 News Team
½ December 23, 2015
Steve Carrell is perfectly cast in The 40 Year Old Virgn. A 21st century comedy classic and perhaps the best of the frat pack films, this one will make you laugh over multiple viewings, and never lose its spirit. Where The 40 Year Old Virgin triumphs is in its ability make fun of its characters without insulting them, giving it a sense of friend like jocularity that makes it infinitely likeable. Establishing one star in Carrell, bolstering the careers of Rogen and Paul Rudd and containing underrated performances from Romany Malco and Jane Lynch, this film satisfies as a great comedy should.
½ December 22, 2015
One of the funniest films of its era starring a perfectly cast Steve carrell.
December 21, 2015
Very nice comedy! Steve Carell played well his character.
A young Jonah Hill and Kevin Hart there.
12.22.15
½ December 12, 2015
Almost funny in places, but overlong, weird and not worth re-watching.
December 9, 2015
An amusing if not fantastic comedy that really uses it's cast optimally. They're pretty much all playing the kind of characters they play best. Pretty much everything that Apatow does well is represented here. Has he grown at all beyond this film, or isn't he just doing this one over and over again?
½ December 7, 2015
Everytime I watch this movie I notice more and more and laugh just as hard if not harder.
December 5, 2015
This movie featured some hilarious laugh out load moments. Steve Carell's character is 40 years old and still a virgin, his friends however want to change that and try to hook him up with a women, this results in some hilarious situations.
December 4, 2015
This is one of the best comedies of the century. Not only was it a brilliant idea for a movie, but the casting was perfect. What a hilarious script too.
November 10, 2015
One of those movies I can turn to when I need a laugh. Not sure how you review a comedy. It was funny. I laughed.
November 7, 2015
If they cut it down in length I would've liked it even more.
November 6, 2015
Normally I really dislike raunchy movies about immature man children, but Steve Carrell makes his character very endearing and this makes it surprisingly sweet. It is still a little more raunchy than I prefer and a bit too long, but the sweetness helps counteract this.