42 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

42 Reviews

April 15, 2016
The legend has born, and he will come to change the world. #42 Jackie Robinson. 4.15.16 Happy Jackie Robinson Day Everyone
April 11, 2016
April 11, 2016
Felt a wee bit empty. Although the film was two hours long it felt rushed and I felt I learned or gained nothing from it. Disappointed is all
½ April 10, 2016
Good movie, but I was expecting a little more?
March 25, 2016
Great film showcasing a story that needed to be told on the big screen. All the emotional moments hit but the rest of the film felt slow and it kept getting slower and slower. Great performances all around and that really helped the movie.
March 22, 2016
"42" es la historia de Jackie Robinson, el primer beisbolista afroamericano en pertenecer a las Grandes Ligas. El mismo Robinson había sido el protagonista de su propia película autobiográfica, pero esta vez el turno para encarnar al contenido jugador No. 42 es para Chadwick Boseman. El director Brian Helgeland (guionista de "L.A. Condidential"), nos sorprende con diálogos cursis, unidos a una música demasiado dulzona. Pero gracias a la actuación de Boseman y de un magnífico Harrison Ford como Branch Rickey, el hombre que contrató a Robinson pese al racismo inherente en el deporte nacional de los Estados Unidos, "42" logra satisfacer tanto a los fanáticos de Robinson como al público en general.
March 9, 2016
The performances are fine and the cinematography is good but it does nothing to make itself great while also doing nothing to make it bad. It's just mediocre and you can't help but like it.
February 28, 2016
42 :

The movie is directed by Brian Helgeland. It is a drama story about heroism and baseball. It came out the 12th of April 2013.The main character played by Chadwick Boseman who is the hero. The plot is set in the United States, the film tells the story of the first black man who played in Major League Baseball, breaking the infamous color line.
The story begins with the legendary Brooklyn Dodgers owner Branch Rickey who has decided to include a black man in the major leagues in 1946. With all the potential candidates he had , he finally chose a 26 year old boy named Jackie Robinson full of talent. This movie is based on a true story. At the end of the movie Jackie Robinson proves that he deserves his place after showing his great skills on the field inspite of all the verbal and physical threats made by the white public who were against his integration. He found another way to respond on the field and provocate the pitchers while playing.
The plot is full of tension. One of the most suprising moments in the film occurs when Jackie retains his madness against white people especially when he gets purposely hit in the head by a ball threw by the Pittsburg's pitcher during a game. He doesn't respond to any insults because he knows he can't for the sake of any future colored players. The cast is excellent and the perfomances as well. The unfairness showed by the white people towards black people combined with a sad music conveys a sad atmosphere. The actor Alan Tudyk does a very good job as the really mean manager of the Philadelphia Philies. It has a happy ending with the player who wins the game against Pittsburg. The dodgers are now at the first place of their division. Throughout the movie, Jackie Robinson is slowly accepted in his team by his courage and respected by his teammates. I highly recommend it because it's a really interesting film. And it is also realistic when they show us how segregation of colored people was like in every days activities such as toilets, seats, hotels...;etc. On a scale from zero to five, I give this perfect film a five.
February 18, 2016
42 does not escape the occasional heavy handedness of racial tensions that many have fell to. But it pulls off the story of Jackie Robinson in it's own well deserved respect, mostly due to Chadwick Boseman's human portrayal of Robinson himself.
½ February 18, 2016
The Story of the first black baseball player to join the major leagues. How getting there was not easy, even if your great at the sport. When all eyes were on white race being dominant and segregation being the norm for colours, breaking the barrier was much more difficult. When black athletes know more of the actions of their white contour parts then they know them, to make yourself the best player in the game. When it's easier to beat someone by doing it outside the field, by doing it with more people gathering to push you out. When Jackie Robinson only cares to play bsseball, then be involved in the rasicm. Not all cities were willing to change their ways as others did in the regards to breaking segregation, and prefer to uphold it lawfully, by putting blacks in jail, using threats. A man deserves his fair chance if he got the goods. Not all believed in segregation, or judging a player by his skin.
When baseball divided people's interest those whom cared about skill, race, business and a hero to look up too.
There is a whole entirety that follows us, those whom are routing for us to be great and continue playing for the thrill of baseball. Those whom want the team to continue winning. Those whom want people to continue returning to the stands to watch.
Growing the sport of baseball on a small budget for a living.
A growing concern as part of the constitutional right to petition from playing from him. Baseball politics amongst the players.
When news from across the city of civil right fighting by blacks and civil liberties has some people unhappy and causing an uproar, that some people share opposing views. Many baseball players had alot on stake whether it was their job or privileges they were getting from others. Breaking the barrier was not only difficult for JR but, those whom supported him.
When all we know what to do is play baseball, to care about needing the protection and people behind him to pushing him forward to break barriers. While gratitous, it's disturbing, but part of the life.
While race is not the only issue, when baseball is very competitive and teams are doing everything they can to play dirty but by the books.
April 15, 1947 - Opening Day from Montreal Royals to Brooklyn Dodgers.
Some reasons for the decision to bring Jackie Robinson was it was history making, see how he plays attracts business, black folks.
Belief in a players colour, age, decisions.
Great amongst reporters to write about, something new and exciting.
While tauntings, unfair calls, beaning, all are perfectly legal in baseball, it's the ridicule mentally that oppressed Jackie Robinson from playing great.
playing with suppressed emotion, encouragement from team mates standing up for him, the in and outs of baseball from a player stand point to a spectator of what you hear and read is different. Until you are submerged in the league, players, bosses, fans you will know the in and outs of baseball. player taunting, boss dealings, what is accepted and not accepted you learn, serious from teasing.
Fighting for a win, fighting for good talent, less to do about the race.
Being part of a team, witnessing this change, attention, conflict, is new and hard to focus on baseball.
When suppressing emotion and racism for both sides of the team, to make baseball not seem dark and negative.
When less can be about baseball, when threats are being made and it's an FBI issue. disagreement about government decisions and baseball decisioning.
When being on a team, we take things slowly to adjust to your teams comfort level of you being there. The feeling of being accepted and what we are used to in being unaccepted but still playing baseball. this embedded segratative mentality we carry forward breaking barriers.
Living with the moral fibre to do what's right, learn when we were once unfair to others to come to the point where we loved being fair to one another, makes loving the game much more appreciative.
With more victories, more fans, more guts more glory for jackie. biggest fan is the person right by his corner, mrs. robinson. a layer like no other, going to the world series in his first career. A story for the ages, that inspired others to be great writers, baseball players, and much more. Former retiring the number 42.
February 16, 2016
Alan Tudyk plays Uncle Ruckus.
February 10, 2016
I think the choice of only looking at a couple of years of Robinson's life was the right one. His is a big story, likely too much for one movie. It's cinematically lush and the characters are played bigger than life. Which I think is apropos as that's exactly the scope of Robinson's accomplishments.
February 4, 2016
A light, entertaining and inspiring film with oscar worthy performances from Harrison Ford and Chadwick Boseman
February 2, 2016
Great movie. Brings this history to life for those of us that didn't live during that era.
January 28, 2016
This movie was inspiring! It's a true store and it is a good sports movie if you like sports it could be one to see. I like how Jackie gets home runs in this movie. It's a interesting movie to see!!
January 7, 2016
I can't believe it took me this long to see this film. I thoroughly enjoyed this one and I think anyone will, whether or not you enjoy baseball or not (with that being said, I'm sure I'm a little biased being a fan and participant of the game since I was 5). It has its flaws, don't get me wrong, and there wasn't anything necessarily ground breaking about the film itself, but the story matched with the great performances of both Chadwick Boseman and Harrison Ford make this a wonderful cinematic experience.
January 4, 2016
I love baseball! Outstanding
December 31, 2015
Just not interesting.
December 25, 2015
Good movie but I'm sure it was sugar coated.
½ December 24, 2015
Lessened only by the beginning half but inspirational throughout.