4:44 Last Day on Earth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

4:44 Last Day on Earth Reviews

½ August 28, 2017
Written and directed by Abel Ferrara starring William Dafoe as Cisco preparing for the 'last days on earth' with his living spouse, Skye (Shanyn Leigh).
½ July 28, 2017
Two lovers (Willem Dafoe, Shanyn Leigh) immerse themselves in sex, art and other activities after word breaks that the world will end by the next morning.

Not a very engaging movie. Most of the characters are not doing anything worth watching.
May 27, 2017
A uniquely personal apocalypse flick. Defoe is great, co-star is so-so. Couple interesting scenarios, but never truly engaging or worthwhile. Ending is a bust. Not even a rental.
½ February 2, 2017
This is Ferrara's last-day flick. It was good, great to a degree. Ferrara-holics will dig it
October 28, 2016
I had a very hard time getting through the movie. For lack of better words, the nicest way I can say it is that this is the worst movie I've ever seen.
August 27, 2016
Viewed it on Netflix. Tragic movie. Willem Defoe cops a feel. The End.
September 14, 2015
Loved the camera work and the performances. It seemed to intentionally break away from the more formulaic approach to end of the world films, and present a more surreal approach to the end. Not buying, for instance, that anyone would still be delivering food hours from the apocalypse. Or that someone would be running around in an 18-wheeler. Or that cops would be still out on patrol. Then again, how likely or realistic is the complete and total end of the world?
May 4, 2015
Meditação new-age sobre o fim do mundo perspectivado por um casal nova-iorquino traduz-se num dos mais aborrecidos e sofríveis filmes de Abel Ferrara. Algumas cenas de intimidade bem filmadas não chegam para salvar mais um filme em que Willem Dafoe se afunda convictamente com Ferrara.
September 16, 2014
El excéntrico director Abel Ferrara nos presenta esta pieza en la que una pareja (Willem Dafoe y Shanyn Leigh) se enfrentan al fin del mundo. Esta no es una cinta de acción ("2012") o una obra sobre la depresión existencial ("Melancholia"). "4:44 Last Day On Earth" intenta mostrarnos como dos personas normales, con sus cualidades y defectos, se enfrentan al absurdo de la muerte inminente.
August 16, 2014
It got exclusively bad reviews.
July 17, 2014
Ok so I admit, I watched this movie strictly because Natasha Lyonne was in it. Much to my sadness, maybe a paragraph's worth and plus it "starred" one of my least favorite actors, William "I spell my name Willem" Dafoe in it. It's a terrible movie. It gets one star for Ms. Lyonne otherwise zippo!
July 1, 2014
an Al Gore, ManBearPig lullaby.
½ May 8, 2014
The movie is not worth watching. You think it's gonna go some where and it never does. (Crappy ending too)
February 14, 2014
Abel Ferrara's "4:44 Last Day On Earth" Is An Incredibly Powerful And Wonderfully Audacious Film That Will Bend Your Mind. The Film May Be Ferrara's Finest Achievement As A Filmmaker. Willem Dafoe And Shanyn Leigh As A Couple Living In NYC When They Learn That The Apocalypse Is Imminent And Will Occur At Exactly 4:44 A.M. This Is A Film Only Abel Ferrara Could Have Made. There Are No Explosions Or Massive Action Scenes. This Film Is All About Character And Mood. If The Apocalypse Were To Occur, This Is How People Would React. Ferrara Is Not Interested In The Big Bang, But The Little Nuances Of Human Interaction. If You Do Not Think That Ferrara Is A Master Filmmaker, Then This Is The Proof. Ken Kelsch's Cinematography Is Extraordinary And Stunningly Beautiful. The Film Is Both Understated And Extraordinary. The Score Is Incredible And Absolutely Terrifying. The Film's Music Makes The Film Into An Unforgettable Masterpiece. Some Of The Songs Sent Chills Down My Spine And Put Me Into A Mood That Only This Film Could. The Film Reminded Me In A Way Of Oliver Stone's "Natural Born Killers". The Script Is Excellent And The Atmosphere Is Intoxicating. The Ending Is Absolutely Brilliant And Deeply Unsettling. "4:44" Is The Creepiest Film Since David Lynch's "Mulholland Dr." Watching "4:44" Is An Incredible Viewing Experience That I Will Never Forget.
January 7, 2014
Disappointing. Not necessarily bad but disappointing from such a great director. The only thing this film seems to have in common with Ferrera's body of work is that it's set in NYC... And the protagonist scores dope. For a much better philosophical treatment of the apocalypse, see Don McKellar's 'Last Night'.
Harlequin68
½ November 28, 2013
"4:44 Last Day on Earth" is the kind of ponderous movie that provides insights as to why Willem Dafoe is now doing commercials, for which he receives a special dispensation for. Otherwise, there is not that much thought going on here, even at the end of the world. Yes, Al Gore is right but surely we could think of a better epitaph for the human race than that.

Storywise, Dafoe plays Cisco who spends his last day with his much, much younger significant other Skye(Shanyn Leigh), arguing, having sex and Skyping, thankfully not all at the same time. This sort of thing might have actually had a chance of working if they were in an isolated cabin in say Montana but not Brooklyn, where news reports notwithstanding, there would be something more out of the ordinary going on than one person jumping to his death right before the apocalypse.
½ November 16, 2013
Good theme, but extremely pretentious (and boring) writing
½ November 16, 2013
Good theme, but extremely pretentious (and boring) writing
October 15, 2013
Pheeww,,,,this is tough one
September 22, 2013
i like when the movie ended. it was great to see commercials again.