4:44 Last Day on Earth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

4:44 Last Day on Earth Reviews

August 27, 2016
Viewed it on Netflix. Tragic movie. Willem Defoe cops a feel. The End.
September 14, 2015
Loved the camera work and the performances. It seemed to intentionally break away from the more formulaic approach to end of the world films, and present a more surreal approach to the end. Not buying, for instance, that anyone would still be delivering food hours from the apocalypse. Or that someone would be running around in an 18-wheeler. Or that cops would be still out on patrol. Then again, how likely or realistic is the complete and total end of the world?
May 4, 2015
Meditação new-age sobre o fim do mundo perspectivado por um casal nova-iorquino traduz-se num dos mais aborrecidos e sofríveis filmes de Abel Ferrara. Algumas cenas de intimidade bem filmadas não chegam para salvar mais um filme em que Willem Dafoe se afunda convictamente com Ferrara.
September 16, 2014
El excéntrico director Abel Ferrara nos presenta esta pieza en la que una pareja (Willem Dafoe y Shanyn Leigh) se enfrentan al fin del mundo. Esta no es una cinta de acción ("2012") o una obra sobre la depresión existencial ("Melancholia"). "4:44 Last Day On Earth" intenta mostrarnos como dos personas normales, con sus cualidades y defectos, se enfrentan al absurdo de la muerte inminente.
August 16, 2014
It got exclusively bad reviews.
July 17, 2014
Ok so I admit, I watched this movie strictly because Natasha Lyonne was in it. Much to my sadness, maybe a paragraph's worth and plus it "starred" one of my least favorite actors, William "I spell my name Willem" Dafoe in it. It's a terrible movie. It gets one star for Ms. Lyonne otherwise zippo!
July 1, 2014
an Al Gore, ManBearPig lullaby.
½ May 8, 2014
The movie is not worth watching. You think it's gonna go some where and it never does. (Crappy ending too)
February 14, 2014
Abel Ferrara's "4:44 Last Day On Earth" Is An Incredibly Powerful And Wonderfully Audacious Film That Will Bend Your Mind. The Film May Be Ferrara's Finest Achievement As A Filmmaker. Willem Dafoe And Shanyn Leigh As A Couple Living In NYC When They Learn That The Apocalypse Is Imminent And Will Occur At Exactly 4:44 A.M. This Is A Film Only Abel Ferrara Could Have Made. There Are No Explosions Or Massive Action Scenes. This Film Is All About Character And Mood. If The Apocalypse Were To Occur, This Is How People Would React. Ferrara Is Not Interested In The Big Bang, But The Little Nuances Of Human Interaction. If You Do Not Think That Ferrara Is A Master Filmmaker, Then This Is The Proof. Ken Kelsch's Cinematography Is Extraordinary And Stunningly Beautiful. The Film Is Both Understated And Extraordinary. The Score Is Incredible And Absolutely Terrifying. The Film's Music Makes The Film Into An Unforgettable Masterpiece. Some Of The Songs Sent Chills Down My Spine And Put Me Into A Mood That Only This Film Could. The Film Reminded Me In A Way Of Oliver Stone's "Natural Born Killers". The Script Is Excellent And The Atmosphere Is Intoxicating. The Ending Is Absolutely Brilliant And Deeply Unsettling. "4:44" Is The Creepiest Film Since David Lynch's "Mulholland Dr." Watching "4:44" Is An Incredible Viewing Experience That I Will Never Forget.
January 7, 2014
Disappointing. Not necessarily bad but disappointing from such a great director. The only thing this film seems to have in common with Ferrera's body of work is that it's set in NYC... And the protagonist scores dope. For a much better philosophical treatment of the apocalypse, see Don McKellar's 'Last Night'.
½ November 28, 2013
"4:44 Last Day on Earth" is the kind of ponderous movie that provides insights as to why Willem Dafoe is now doing commercials, for which he receives a special dispensation for. Otherwise, there is not that much thought going on here, even at the end of the world. Yes, Al Gore is right but surely we could think of a better epitaph for the human race than that.

Storywise, Dafoe plays Cisco who spends his last day with his much, much younger significant other Skye(Shanyn Leigh), arguing, having sex and Skyping, thankfully not all at the same time. This sort of thing might have actually had a chance of working if they were in an isolated cabin in say Montana but not Brooklyn, where news reports notwithstanding, there would be something more out of the ordinary going on than one person jumping to his death right before the apocalypse.
½ November 16, 2013
Good theme, but extremely pretentious (and boring) writing
½ November 16, 2013
Good theme, but extremely pretentious (and boring) writing
October 15, 2013
Pheeww,,,,this is tough one
September 22, 2013
i like when the movie ended. it was great to see commercials again.
½ August 2, 2013
Quite possibly the happiest film about the end of the world. It amounts to same stuff different day except with more love.
½ July 27, 2013
An artsy mess. You'd think with just one day left to live one would do less arguing and more....
July 7, 2013
I won't go into a ton of detail, but the low ratings are ridiculous. This is not "Tree of Life" for crying out loud. It was slow to an extent, but not in a bad way. It was an emotional journey about two people figuring things out basically a day before the end of the world. More to it of course. A lot of deep spiritual messaging, cautionary tale to those willing to listen, and really an amazing job by the entire cast. It made me think and in a good way. It was both incredibly depressing yet equally moving and uplifting. I'm glad I randomly discovered it On Demand last night. Don't let the ignorant Independence Day loving public steer you away from a great movie. Put your open mind cap on and let yourself enjoy it. You can watch World War Z some other time. In some ways reminded me of Lars Von Trier's "Antichrist" which was very good also. I saw a lot of his style in this movie.
June 27, 2013
Truly terrible, something went horribly awry in the making of this film and I just cannot believe nobody noticed before it was released. meh... just meh...
May 20, 2013
La idea inicial es sugerente, incluso provocativa. ¿Qué sucederí­a con nuestras últimas horas si hubiera certeza de que el mundo se acaba en una hora especí­fica? La solución de Ferrara es fallida, tanto en lo técnico (realización), como en lo emocional (lo que nos provoca). Cisco, el protagonista, es un tipo tan descompuesto que en algunos momentos quiere uno que ya se acabe el mundo y la pelí­cula con él. Ferrara, sin embargo, tiene oficio, y sostiene la cinta en cómo el fin sacará lo mejor y peor de todos. Al final, es esto último lo que deja un mal sabor y acaba con cualquier posible conexión emocional con la historia y sus personajes, lo que evita cualquier tipo de catarsis o emoción al cierre. En retrospectiva, una cinta muy decepcionante.