47 Ronin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

47 Ronin Reviews

January 4, 2015
Very different from what folks may expect -- very little, if any, martial arts, but instead a careful discussion of economic and political motivations, loyalty, and strategy. Quite interesting though also rather confusing at times. If you do watch it, make sure to watch it with the full subtitles to get some interesting Japanese facts.
June 6, 2014
good story plot so l feel a sequel and also amazing (CGI) graphics. I really hope top see a prequel or sequel although with just this one time film i would say 50%-65% that I'd recommend other viewers to also view it.
½ September 9, 2012
I just finished an english translation of the ronin story, and had previously seen the earlier version, so I was fairly familiar with the main elements of the story. Legends keep being re-worked, but I missed the section where Oishi runs wild and drinks and makes a fool of himself over a geisha. The romance in this version is less motivated. He is not divorced from his wife, and the hook up with the rather silly young girl serves no purpose. I agree with those who would have preferred the scene between Kira and Lord Asano to be explained, though the short bits of it which flash by as Kira is dying are rather stylish in a Rashomon sort of way. the version with Mifune and Hara and other better known actors is easier to follow for the non-Japanese viewer. Now there is the Keanu Reeves version to look forword to.
February 18, 2012
I don't even know what it is.
½ January 22, 2012
a film on a famous real life event. the start of the film gets rather confusing, as the audiences were expected to know the story of chushingura. i only got a guise of the plot after watching for about 30 minutes into the show.

the acting was good, action scenes were intense. there were certain portions which i think could have been done better, to allow viewers who do not know chushingura to get immerse in the story faster.

overall the film is entertaining and worth a watch.
½ June 30, 2011
(*** 1/2): Thumbs Up
½ April 3, 2011
Another decent retelling of the Legend of the 47 Ronin.
August 14, 2010
A fairly slow paced first hour and a half lead to one hell of a blood soaked climax.
½ June 18, 2009
to begin with, this film is certainly not without its flaws. the first 25 minutes of the film are told in a non linear fashion that is more confusing and jumbled than it is creative. the film also throws in a love story for the lead character and a young girl that is completely without purpose and feels forced. and finally, the end of the film is so abrupt that it literally leaves you hanging with many unanswered questions. normally this would be too much flaw in a film to overcome. having said all of that, since this film was based on a true and epic event in japanese history and because im well versed on the historical events that took place, i was not only able to follow the film through the rough start and incomplete finish but i was so enthralled with every part of the film other than the three flaws that i just mentioned that i completely enjoyed this movie. ichikawa's choice of set design, natural settings, camera work, and direction of his actors were all as flawless as i would expect from an ichikawa film, and the parts of the story told well were told especially well. if you dont know the real story behind the film it might be hard to follow, but if you do you might love this film as much as i did.
April 20, 2009
Thanks to my historian husband, I have an appreciation for the samarai life and how this story is such an integral part of Japanese culture. As for the movie, it's just not my cup of saki.
January 16, 2009
I was frankly disappointed in the film. I got the impression the director was trying to give us as much of the story as he could but it was so choppy as to drive to distraction. I found myself constantly trying to figure out what was going on and it was, at times, frustrating. If you're hoping for a linear telling of the story, forget it. There's just too much to tell and too little film to do it in.
December 20, 2008
THe most dramastory but not as much action at the 60's versiontice version of this
July 23, 2008
A modern version of the classic Japanese historical drama. Maybe a bit easier to follow for western audiences than older versions.
½ July 4, 2008
A little confusing in a couple of scenes but I want to watch it a few times any way. I love the dialog and ethics.
Some of the scenes seemed overly staged but that's the artistic right of the director and that's fine. Some of the characters are interesting and keep the curious interest up - for me any way...
Enjoy! jwl
½ February 24, 2008
An extremely well put together film. The cinematography was astonishing... and the buildup intense.

Costumes and set/scenery/locations were as authentic as you can get without a time machine.

Watch it ONLY if Japanese-dialogue, English-subtitled, "Samurai in feudal Japan" movies are your thing.
January 15, 2008
Is there anyway to add a cover or something to this?
½ January 6, 2008
It's ok, ends up looking like a soap opera though.
½ November 17, 2007
an insight into what drove the legendary samurai- the ethics, the code of conduct and honor
October 3, 2007
Brilliant film adaptation of a true Japanese legend of the 47 ronin or masterless samuria. an amazing insite into the bushido warrior code and the honour and respect they live(and die)for