47 Ronin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

47 Ronin Reviews

October 25, 2017
Fair at best. 10/25/17. Skip rewatch
October 23, 2017
Very scenamatic. Enjoyed the story line too
August 16, 2017
This Movie receives bad scores for what it deserves, don't get me wrong. But i do think there is some nice elements to the film. The cinematography and production design is beautiful. The story, not so much! it is dazzling and fun to watch once.
jamrcla
½ August 10, 2017
So much better than I expected, I've never seen the older films or never read the story so maybe it would be lower if I knew the true history, I don't think the film needed the fantasy element or the creatures as the film could of been more realistic and better without them, It does have great action scenes and the effects were pretty good, I can't comment on the 3D as I watched the 2D version, I thought the story was good, I'm not sure how much is accurate though, It's pretty well acted which helps things along, It was much better than critics made out, So if you're a fan of Samurai, Fantasy films this will be right up your street.
August 6, 2017
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING
July 18, 2017
Interesting movie, false advertising about the guy with the pistol, the fights were good, I do not know the full story about the 47 Ronin but I think this modern adoption was a good version of it, but they probably could have been more accurate to the original story and it would have been even better.
½ July 1, 2017
Better than some fantasy films like "The Great Wall". This has very nice set pieces too and landscapes shots.
½ June 6, 2017
Awful. Just awful. A waste of time and money. Do not watch this. Its terrible!
½ April 14, 2017
This film is a *travesty* to the memory of the 47 Ronin and is an insult to the Japanese. It follows the a typical Hollywood arrogance and utter disrespect for another culture's legends that have solid historical documentation, as if it were a fictional fairy-tale to be rewritten at will. Little wonder that Japanese audiences soundly rejected it, and rightfully so. Hollywood tried to make it into a Japanese "Hobbit" movie with a witch, supernatural magical characters, and plot that doesn't even resemble historical events, other than Lord Asano committing seppuku for attacking Lord Kira, and his loyal ronin under the leadership of his former chamberlain, Oishi, exacting revenge on Lord Kira for having incited Asano's attack on him to precipitate his punishment. Everything else in between all that is utter fantasy. It's little wonder the top critics, who are much more likely to be familiar with the real story, also soundly rejected this movie.

My recommendation:
See the 1962 Japanese film, Chushingura, instead. It is much closer to the real events and is the most comprehensive post-WWII movie, presented in two parts due to its epic length. This Hollywood insult to well-documented Japanese history is thoroughly disgusting.
March 30, 2017
47 Ronin has lots of action among beautiful landscapes and costumes, but all very anti-climactic. Itis a serviceable film in the whole eye-candy department and does give an interesting insight to the notions of honor of feudal Japan, but all-in-all a forgettable film.

This movie is based on a true story, one of better known stories in Japan, of 47 ronin (masterless samurai) that sought revenge for the death of their master knowing they would die doing it. The story taps into the ideas loyalty and honor that prevailed in feudal Japan and among the samurai. As a very white man with some knowledge of Japanese history, the film seems like a fairly accurate depiction of feudal Japan. Though one thing that bothered me was that among the words like seppuku, shogun, bushido, etc. that are used in the film, the lords are just called lords rather than daimyos. It seemed strange to not use the more accurate word. But overall, a realistic depiction... well, except for all the magic n shit. The movie is an interesting blend between reality and Japanese myth, featuring Tengu, witches, etc. The special effects are top notch.

I was worried, since the film featured Keanu Reeves on the poster so heavily, that this would be another The Last Samurai situation where the white man comes to save the poor, lowly Japanese. I was pleasantly surprised that not to be the case. Though Keanu Reeves character Kai (who is a half-breed raised by demons. So not really all that white) is an integral part to the ronins' quest, he isn't really the main hero. The film focuses heavily on the head samurai, Oishi (Hiroyuki Sanada). It is his quest to avenge his fallen master and reclaim honor for his land. The acting in the film was good overall. Some deliveries were a bit weird, but just might be due to the fact that all the Japanese actors spoke with a slight accent. I am a fan of Keanu Reeves; dude has been in a lot of great action movies. In this film, he doesn't do all that much, emotional range wise. He is pretty much serious, gloomy, morose, or angry throughout the whole film. I don't think he smiles once. Poor, sad Keanu.

The main problem I have with the film is the pacing and the climax. There is so much action throughout the film and various setbacks that they suffer. When it is finally time for the climax and Oishi faces off the evil Lord Kira (Tadanobu Asano) it all feels sort of anticlimactic. The moment doesn't feel heightened from the rest of the film. The witch with heterochromia (Rinko Kikuchi) is an interesting character. She is chaotic and seeks power. You feel that even though she pledged herself to Lord Kira, she might have something up her sleeve. But nope, she was just his lackey by the end - very disappointing. Well the end-end is a good and not your cliché Hollywood ending, which is nice.
½ March 5, 2017
I loved this... im a big keanu fan, and this movie is just another reason why...its great
½ February 7, 2017
a good movie, to sleep :D
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 28, 2017
I enjoyed this one, despite the poor ratings, as I thought it was an excellent story with lots of twists and has a good cast
January 22, 2017
Eu achei o filme legal por ser focado na cultura japonesa, e por ter a quantidade certa de fantasia com demônios, bruxas tudo no ponto certo sem exagerar e sem deixar muito a desejar.
January 19, 2017
Only an idiot would give this a bad review
½ January 17, 2017
It's really not that bad, very enjoyable
½ December 23, 2016
i dont know how many rated low if you are not into chinese martial arts movies you better not rate..this is one of the best chinese movies ive seen after flying swords
November 12, 2016
it's incredibly hard to describe this movie. i'm not sure if the words exist to describe it to you. it's such an impossible task that i'm not even sure it can be completed. it surely is a horrible piece of shit. but since the magnificent seven is coming out soon, I decided to talk about this movie. where to begin. so the film is boring from the get go and it never stops being that way for the rest of the movie other than the effects and the action scenes, there's really nothing this film to offer. this is how you ruin a samurai story that's supposed to be based on a "true story".

Owens grade: D