47 Ronin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

47 Ronin Reviews

January 19, 2017
Only an idiot would give this a bad review
½ January 17, 2017
It's really not that bad, very enjoyable
½ December 23, 2016
i dont know how many rated low if you are not into chinese martial arts movies you better not rate..this is one of the best chinese movies ive seen after flying swords
November 12, 2016
it's incredibly hard to describe this movie. i'm not sure if the words exist to describe it to you. it's such an impossible task that i'm not even sure it can be completed. it surely is a horrible piece of shit. but since the magnificent seven is coming out soon, I decided to talk about this movie. where to begin. so the film is boring from the get go and it never stops being that way for the rest of the movie other than the effects and the action scenes, there's really nothing this film to offer. this is how you ruin a samurai story that's supposed to be based on a "true story".

Owens grade: D
½ November 10, 2016
overall im not sure the reasons this was made the way it was, edited and paced the way it was, or done in english (seriously). there are respectable actors in this that are the essence of question in the "why"?
October 24, 2016
Two-dimensional characters, a lazy, clichéd script, pacing that would irritate a snail, an almost oppressive humourlessness and truly bad acting all meet to form a perfect storm of awfulness. It just leaves me asking 'why?'.
½ September 28, 2016
Another of Keanu's best movies. A tale of love and sacrifices.
½ September 10, 2016
47 Ronin(2013)
Starring::Keanu Reeves,Hiryouki Sanada, Kou Shibasaki,Tadanobu Asano,Rinko Kikuchi,Min Tanaka,Jin Akanishi,Massayoshi Haneda,and Hiroshi Sogabe
Directed By:Carl Rinsch
Review
If your like me and you always wanted to see a new samurai movie in the theaters but you didn't see this and your thinking on buying or renting it,do yourself a favor and don't. You'll thank me. This movie is based on a true story but uses fantasy elements for what reason(I didn't find out during the picture, and trust me you won't either.) the movie doesn't have one.
In 47 Ronin(more like 47 boredom)Keanu Reeves leads the cast as Kai, an outcast who joins Oishi (Hiroyuki Sanada), the leader of 47 outcast samurai. Together they seek vengeance upon the treacherous overlord who killed their master and banished their kind. To restore honor to their homeland, the warriors embark upon a quest that challenges them with a series of trials that would destroy ordinary warriors.
I say 47 boredom because it even though has some special effects(that are really not all that special)it's the most boring samurai and swordfighting movie you will ever see.The movie is like aching boy pain cause your body will beg you to go to sleep just by watching this film.
The characters, trust you just won't care,because this story has no structure or character development.
Look all I can say is this the biggest disappointment you will see, 47 ronin gets a one and a half out of five.
September 7, 2016
Decent but not up to Keanu reeves blockbuster status
August 30, 2016
Fairly entertaining movie which keeps you interested.With some good sequences with supernatural elements.
August 27, 2016
In Japanese Feudal society, the Samurai were the elite warrior caste of their day. According to their code of honour, they were meant to commit ritual suicide (Seppuku) upon the loss of thier master: the greatest dishonour that could befall them was to be unable (or unwilling) to carry this out and hence become Ronin.

Not all Ronin are ill-thought of by history/legend, however: this film is a highly-fictionalized (complete with Witches, Magic and Monsters) retelling of a 18th century historical event/legend in Japan in which a group of Ronin - for some reason, including Keanu Reeves - carry out their revenge upon the man responsible for their lord's death over a year later: a story, indeed, that is even now celebrated every Dec 14th by the Sengakuji Temple.
½ August 24, 2016
I would say I enjoyed this film, but unfortunately, it didn't leave enough of an imprint to remember much about it. Some nice special effects... Just wish Keanu Reeves would grow a personality.
August 12, 2016
Okish Keanu Reeves Japanese Samurai movie.
July 25, 2016
Not Looking at the Tomato Meter Ever Again,
15% isn't fair at all when it comes to a movie like this!!
Are The Critics saying it's bad because they hate Keanu Reeves?
It Takes More than one critic to figure out the Tomatometer...
I seen this movie and there is nothing wrong with it.
Only the CGI with the dragon was trash but the rest of the movie did a superb job. I felt bad that the critics dislike the movie and it's not their fault.
This isn't even the User's fault either.
All the time i try and think about this movie it makes me think Keanu Reeves did a stunning performance in every level.
The Other websites can't conclusure to this movie becoming so low. godamnit!
But I can't stand to see anything good but rotten on the outside.

Score: 9/10
½ July 22, 2016
Mixing a classic Japanese tale with fantasy element this action flick suffers less from the undecided tone but from underdeveloped characters. Some easily could have become quite interesting with just a few more brush strokes here or there. As for the effects, the beast-like CGI creatures look great, especially the one in the opening sequence. The man-like ones on the other hand are horrible and take you right out of the experience. While the showdown starts out fun, it's a little short and culminates in an infuriatingly stupid film ending. You gotta admire the film's attempt to respect Japanese traditions, but the message is ultimately a dull one. Overall an entertaining, but shallow and ultimately pointless experience.
July 5, 2016
This movie was awesome action was great and story line was pretty cool
½ July 3, 2016
A sound tale blending samurai swords with fantasy, in a thoroughly enjoyable Asian adventure. Kai, a notable odd man out amongst ancient Japanese fighters may be different in his looks, but when it comes to fighting, his upbringing has put him right up their with the best. Despite being rejected by most of the clan, he and the emperors daughter are childhood sweethearts, with the emperor himself having raised Kai as his own. Unfortunately for him, when the emperor is forced to take his own life as a result of presumed treachery, Kai and the rest of the clan are banished from the village, with the evil Lord Kira and his shape shifting witch taking ownership. The rest of the story then revolves around the newly named '47 Ronin' taking revenge for this evil plot, with past grudges set aside, and Kai also recruited to help lead the way. With various beasts and baddies opposing them, it's very much like a dungeons and dragons type movie, or even like an Asian Lord of the Rings (just a lot shorter). It's relatively actioned packed and visually captivating with the only downfall being my struggle to familiarise oneself with the names and looks of the individual Asian army members. It's a case of not knowing who's died in battle and who's still fighting strong. The ending was very unpredictable and somewhat depressing but given this was apparently set in line with a true story, I guess they can't detract from the legend itself. It's a little bit of a hidden gem, with Keanu Reeves the only notable star amongst the cast, but with everyone else giving a top notch performance both verbally and in their physical form of using martial arts. Slated by critics, but praised by the general public, this may or not be your cup of Japanese tea, but there's no doubt it left me with a good taste in my mouth.
½ June 22, 2016
I see why it's has low rates
June 20, 2016
This Japanese fantasy/action/period piece is pretty interesting. The idea for the film is good, the script is meh, and the acting is decent but it just seemed to be so slow in the beginning only to hit the after burners to the end. It was just cut together oddly and the dragging and speeding up of the film here and there was just too much.
½ May 11, 2016
Interesting and beautiful to look at, even if the acting leaves something to be desired.