47 Ronin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

47 Ronin Reviews

½ June 6, 2017
Awful. Just awful. A waste of time and money. Do not watch this. Its terrible!
½ April 14, 2017
This film is a *travesty* to the memory of the 47 Ronin and is an insult to the Japanese. It follows the a typical Hollywood arrogance and utter disrespect for another culture's legends that have solid historical documentation, as if it were a fictional fairy-tale to be rewritten at will. Little wonder that Japanese audiences soundly rejected it, and rightfully so. Hollywood tried to make it into a Japanese "Hobbit" movie with a witch, supernatural magical characters, and plot that doesn't even resemble historical events, other than Lord Asano committing seppuku for attacking Lord Kira, and his loyal ronin under the leadership of his former chamberlain, Oishi, exacting revenge on Lord Kira for having incited Asano's attack on him to precipitate his punishment. Everything else in between all that is utter fantasy. It's little wonder the top critics, who are much more likely to be familiar with the real story, also soundly rejected this movie.

My recommendation:
See the 1962 Japanese film, Chushingura, instead. It is much closer to the real events and is the most comprehensive post-WWII movie, presented in two parts due to its epic length. This Hollywood insult to well-documented Japanese history is thoroughly disgusting.
March 30, 2017
47 Ronin has lots of action among beautiful landscapes and costumes, but all very anti-climactic. Itis a serviceable film in the whole eye-candy department and does give an interesting insight to the notions of honor of feudal Japan, but all-in-all a forgettable film.

This movie is based on a true story, one of better known stories in Japan, of 47 ronin (masterless samurai) that sought revenge for the death of their master knowing they would die doing it. The story taps into the ideas loyalty and honor that prevailed in feudal Japan and among the samurai. As a very white man with some knowledge of Japanese history, the film seems like a fairly accurate depiction of feudal Japan. Though one thing that bothered me was that among the words like seppuku, shogun, bushido, etc. that are used in the film, the lords are just called lords rather than daimyos. It seemed strange to not use the more accurate word. But overall, a realistic depiction... well, except for all the magic n shit. The movie is an interesting blend between reality and Japanese myth, featuring Tengu, witches, etc. The special effects are top notch.

I was worried, since the film featured Keanu Reeves on the poster so heavily, that this would be another The Last Samurai situation where the white man comes to save the poor, lowly Japanese. I was pleasantly surprised that not to be the case. Though Keanu Reeves character Kai (who is a half-breed raised by demons. So not really all that white) is an integral part to the ronins' quest, he isn't really the main hero. The film focuses heavily on the head samurai, Oishi (Hiroyuki Sanada). It is his quest to avenge his fallen master and reclaim honor for his land. The acting in the film was good overall. Some deliveries were a bit weird, but just might be due to the fact that all the Japanese actors spoke with a slight accent. I am a fan of Keanu Reeves; dude has been in a lot of great action movies. In this film, he doesn't do all that much, emotional range wise. He is pretty much serious, gloomy, morose, or angry throughout the whole film. I don't think he smiles once. Poor, sad Keanu.

The main problem I have with the film is the pacing and the climax. There is so much action throughout the film and various setbacks that they suffer. When it is finally time for the climax and Oishi faces off the evil Lord Kira (Tadanobu Asano) it all feels sort of anticlimactic. The moment doesn't feel heightened from the rest of the film. The witch with heterochromia (Rinko Kikuchi) is an interesting character. She is chaotic and seeks power. You feel that even though she pledged herself to Lord Kira, she might have something up her sleeve. But nope, she was just his lackey by the end - very disappointing. Well the end-end is a good and not your cliché Hollywood ending, which is nice.
½ March 5, 2017
I loved this... im a big keanu fan, and this movie is just another reason why...its great
½ February 7, 2017
a good movie, to sleep :D
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 28, 2017
I enjoyed this one, despite the poor ratings, as I thought it was an excellent story with lots of twists and has a good cast
January 22, 2017
Eu achei o filme legal por ser focado na cultura japonesa, e por ter a quantidade certa de fantasia com demônios, bruxas tudo no ponto certo sem exagerar e sem deixar muito a desejar.
January 19, 2017
Only an idiot would give this a bad review
½ January 17, 2017
It's really not that bad, very enjoyable
½ December 23, 2016
i dont know how many rated low if you are not into chinese martial arts movies you better not rate..this is one of the best chinese movies ive seen after flying swords
November 12, 2016
it's incredibly hard to describe this movie. i'm not sure if the words exist to describe it to you. it's such an impossible task that i'm not even sure it can be completed. it surely is a horrible piece of shit. but since the magnificent seven is coming out soon, I decided to talk about this movie. where to begin. so the film is boring from the get go and it never stops being that way for the rest of the movie other than the effects and the action scenes, there's really nothing this film to offer. this is how you ruin a samurai story that's supposed to be based on a "true story".

Owens grade: D
½ November 10, 2016
overall im not sure the reasons this was made the way it was, edited and paced the way it was, or done in english (seriously). there are respectable actors in this that are the essence of question in the "why"?
October 24, 2016
Two-dimensional characters, a lazy, clichéd script, pacing that would irritate a snail, an almost oppressive humourlessness and truly bad acting all meet to form a perfect storm of awfulness. It just leaves me asking 'why?'.
½ September 28, 2016
Another of Keanu's best movies. A tale of love and sacrifices.
½ September 10, 2016
47 Ronin(2013)
Starring::Keanu Reeves,Hiryouki Sanada, Kou Shibasaki,Tadanobu Asano,Rinko Kikuchi,Min Tanaka,Jin Akanishi,Massayoshi Haneda,and Hiroshi Sogabe
Directed By:Carl Rinsch
Review
If your like me and you always wanted to see a new samurai movie in the theaters but you didn't see this and your thinking on buying or renting it,do yourself a favor and don't. You'll thank me. This movie is based on a true story but uses fantasy elements for what reason(I didn't find out during the picture, and trust me you won't either.) the movie doesn't have one.
In 47 Ronin(more like 47 boredom)Keanu Reeves leads the cast as Kai, an outcast who joins Oishi (Hiroyuki Sanada), the leader of 47 outcast samurai. Together they seek vengeance upon the treacherous overlord who killed their master and banished their kind. To restore honor to their homeland, the warriors embark upon a quest that challenges them with a series of trials that would destroy ordinary warriors.
I say 47 boredom because it even though has some special effects(that are really not all that special)it's the most boring samurai and swordfighting movie you will ever see.The movie is like aching boy pain cause your body will beg you to go to sleep just by watching this film.
The characters, trust you just won't care,because this story has no structure or character development.
Look all I can say is this the biggest disappointment you will see, 47 ronin gets a one and a half out of five.
September 7, 2016
Decent but not up to Keanu reeves blockbuster status
August 30, 2016
Fairly entertaining movie which keeps you interested.With some good sequences with supernatural elements.
August 27, 2016
In Japanese Feudal society, the Samurai were the elite warrior caste of their day. According to their code of honour, they were meant to commit ritual suicide (Seppuku) upon the loss of thier master: the greatest dishonour that could befall them was to be unable (or unwilling) to carry this out and hence become Ronin.

Not all Ronin are ill-thought of by history/legend, however: this film is a highly-fictionalized (complete with Witches, Magic and Monsters) retelling of a 18th century historical event/legend in Japan in which a group of Ronin - for some reason, including Keanu Reeves - carry out their revenge upon the man responsible for their lord's death over a year later: a story, indeed, that is even now celebrated every Dec 14th by the Sengakuji Temple.
½ August 24, 2016
I would say I enjoyed this film, but unfortunately, it didn't leave enough of an imprint to remember much about it. Some nice special effects... Just wish Keanu Reeves would grow a personality.