48 HRS - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

48 HRS Reviews

½ July 17, 2016
Awesome Sunday afternoon viewing
July 3, 2016
"48 Hrs." delivers, '80s action comedy-style. Two protagonists that don't get on well, lightweight atmosphere, very good chases, complete with female nudity and outdated phraseology concerning black people. It's nothing riveting but the small duration, the tense final act, the likable partnership of Nick Nolte and Eddie Murphy and the sure hand of director Walter Hill ensure "48 Hrs." is a pleasant affair.
½ July 3, 2016
A short list of things that don't age well : THIS. The comedy is slow, the pacing is horrific, and what stood to be shocking then is simply offensive now.
May 26, 2016
After reading so many positive reviews I was left wondering what it is that made people like it so much, After thinking about it, It must be the onscreen chemistry between Nick Nolte and starring in his first film Eddie Murphy, They worked great together but the rest of the film is pretty average, No real great action, Not much comedy to speak of, The story is nothing new, And it's predictable, It's not a bad movie but with all this praise I expected allot more.
½ May 24, 2016
A very solid buddy cop action movie, and a great debut for Eddie Murphy.
½ April 22, 2016
Eddie Murphy was really good. Hard to believe it was his first starring role. Nolte was good, too, but overall the film was very average.
April 6, 2016
This was the second movie I have seen from the franchise and I thought it was a very enjoyable, funny action movie with a good dialogue of funny scenes ready to happen. It's like as if you are expecting a funny scene to happen anytime you watch it. A great movie! And great acting from Nick Nolte and Eddie Murphy!
March 17, 2016
Still a really good film. Yes, the action is not as good in 2016 as it was in 1982, but the movie still funny. I find it strange that people call this film cliche when this film actually created a lot of these cliches.
January 31, 2016
Commando took some notes here. David Patrick Kelly playing almost the same part with calypso styled music in the background. But the main thing is Eddie Murphy did a hell of a job as a debut, Nick Nolte was convincing even though the on screen chemistry between the two leads could have been better it's still a good film.
January 30, 2016
Such a realistic movie.....
December 18, 2015
Could only get through about 45 minutes of this. The horrible casual racial slurs, boring one dimensional depiction of women & lack of real chemistry between the leads was most disappointing. I'm a movie buff & was most interrested to see this movie that I somehow missed seeing back in the day. But I was taken aback at the lack of humour too. I realise that racial walls were being torn down, so it was good in that respect, but there just wasn't enough to hold me.
November 5, 2015
A great buddy cop action comedy film.
September 13, 2015
Gritty 80s action comedy.
July 4, 2015
Some of it hasn't aged well but despite being the film that jump started a genre, it still feels more raw and original that most of the "buddy-cop" stuff that followed it's release.
½ July 3, 2015
48 HRS is a solid buddy-cop-thriller starring Eddie Murphy in his debut role as a streetwise parolee and Nick Nolte as a seasoned, bitter cop. The premise is very simple and easy to follow, intense moments are spread around the film and the pacing is indeed brisk thanks to top-notch chemistry between it's lead duo who play off each other so well. Even though I felt the ending was kind of weak and the racist dialogue seemed out of place at times and unnecessary, 48 HRS entertained nonetheless and never bored me once within it's running time.
April 28, 2015
A benchmark in action-comedy cinema, Walter Hill, the director of The Warriors brings two unlikely actors together brilliantly, with a gritty and powerful performance by Nick Nolte and Eddie Murphy is oh so hilarious. The writing is good and the violence is as brutal and bloody as it is intense with believable and ruthless villains. 4 out of 5 stars.
½ April 27, 2015
Una de las precursoras de las buddy movies policiacas, y de la mano de uno de los grandes directores del género, Walter Hill.

Lo cierto es que uno de los puntos fuertes de la película es lo diametralmente opuestos que son sus dos protagonistas y como su química no funciona para nada el principio, hasta que termina por convertirse en una gran amistad.

Lo malo es que en otros aspectos la película no destaca tanto. Su trama es un poco simple y algunos cabos quedan sueltos además, y la estructura es demasiado reiterativa: encontramos al malo, tiroteo y se escapa,...hasta 3 veces distintas. James Remar como villano está un poco desaprovechado. Además no tenemos muchas escenas de acción, aunque al menos si son más realistas y duras que en otras películas del género.

Aun así tiene una fotografía resultona, poblada de grises y azules, y las escenas del climax están grabadas de forma genial.

Sin lugar a dudas todo un clásico que aunque no llega a explotar todos sus elementos sienta las bases de lo que estaba por venir.
½ April 2, 2015
Before Eddie Murphy went Axel, he'd made his film debut in this other buddy cop film providing some of the film's comedy to keep the viewer satisfied - next to Nick Nolte's performance - as the nastiness kept ridiculously stalling till the payoff. (B)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording)
½ March 15, 2015
An early template for buddy cop. Still really watchable!
March 7, 2015
While the movie itself was routine and somewhat dull, 48 HRS strongly benefits from Eddie Murphy's comedic talent and interplays with Nick Nolte.