49 Up - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

49 Up Reviews

March 16, 2016
The highlight is a disagreement between the director and one of his subjects. That makes for the most interesting viewing. Not much has changed between 42 and 49 to be honest. Still, nowhere near enough focus on issues for my liking
August 15, 2015
I definitely don't think this series was meant to be binge-watched. It's almost too much to wrap your mind around. It's crazy how many of the participants are upset about being on the series when it doesn't seem like it goes THAT deep to me. I still love it.
July 9, 2015
Some deaths of their parents have happened, more divorces. A couple have finally got married. More career changes, can't believe the homeless man has gone into politics. Yes not seeing as big changes as when younger. However a lot continues to change and starting to see some of the hostilities to the intrusiveness of film in the characters lives.
November 27, 2014
This series just wrecks you, even if the participants are so "normal" that is the point... life and aging on film
½ July 27, 2014
I enjoyed this segment mostly for curiosity sake. I have seen all the installments to this point and it is interesting to see someones life over time. However, it is kind of sad and almost makes you feel bad watching it because the participants at this point feel like the intrusion on their lives annoys them and some of them down right hate being in the series. So I felt there was quite a bit of reservation about even appearing on the film at all. Nevertheless its still cool to see it all documented and how their lives have turned out. On a side note these people really make it appear that British people age badly..
½ June 24, 2014
another up doc entry
April 13, 2014
Amazing that he did this, the concept is great. He stuck to his promise. I just wasn't that entertained by the results.
½ December 11, 2013
these keep getting more and more interesting! i can't stop watching! i'm glad things are finally looking up for Neil!
April 22, 2013
Though a bit overlonged for this specefic subject, its subject alone is enough to intrigue your attention
March 8, 2013
The director has now released 56 Up, a movie 7 years later on the same people. You have your successes, failures, compromises, and failed dreams with them.
February 11, 2013
And again they look back, this time with gratefulness and nostalgia. I like the fact that Michael was not just the interrogator here but he was actually part of it, observing with them and looking back about how he had been a part of their lives and how his project shaped them.
February 2, 2013
Captivating psychological biography. One of the best.
½ February 2, 2013
I have watched each of the entries in this series, and for the last 4 films in the UP series have anxiously awaited each one's release. Unlike one of the previous reviewers, I don't see this as a reality series, where every question about a participant's life or their statements must be examined. It...read mores not about the individuals that are the participants as each film is about the life cycle and how lives develop and attitudes change over time. It is sad to me that some of the project's participants are troubled by what they see as a rather voyeuristic exercise. The series is a very important look at a group of people's attitudes and decisions over the course of their lives. This particular film especially shows that by a certain point in life, despite profession, status, class and money earned, happiness is measured by how much love a person has around them and how much they can give to others. This comes through time and again as each participant's current interview and past story is revealed. Even the participant who seems to have had the most turbulent life appears to have found some peace by 49UP. This film series is a wonderful look at our common humanity and the passages through life. Here is to hoping that the participants will continue with the project, and that those who have not appeared in the recent films will return.
½ February 1, 2013
I'm torn about this movie. On the one hand, I'd recommend it to everyone, hence the 4.5 stars -- this project is so unique, and to watch these individuals' lives unfold is gripping in unexpected ways.

On the other hand, as several reviewers point out, you end up feeling that you haven't learned much other than minutia of these people's lives. It seems difficult, almost impossible, to follow more than a half-dozen people over the course of their entire lives and not glean any general life lessons. Sadly there are no such lessons to be found in this film.
January 30, 2013
As I mentioned in my review of 35 Up, this series continues to be fascinating even though some of the original participants have fallen by the wayside. The only issue in the later films is the recap particularly if you are seeing the films back to back. Forgive the repetitiveness and and the rest flows well.
August 28, 2012
Part seven of this incredibly ambitious project. It really is fascinating to see the progression of these people's lives over the years
½ July 14, 2012
Certainly an ambitious project that provides some mild voyeuristic interest, but not enough depth to offer anything of substance to grab on to. It ends up just being a variation of the cliche that most people lead lives that, through the view of a tremendously broad lens, are not quite that different from each other. Perhaps more depth would allow a closer examination of the evolution (and in some cases death) of personal dreams.
June 23, 2012
Some surprises, some disappointments for the characters. Strong theme is what characters think of the series.
May 23, 2012
I love how the big hook of this installment was "What's happened to Neil?" although I have to say I was also quite pleased to see Tony and Sue's happy stories and to find out about Bruce's job.

And now the fact that I can talk about them by name is starting to scare me a little.