4 (Chetyre) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

4 (Chetyre) Reviews

August 1, 2014
Difficult, desolate and miserable; full of endless scenes and inaccessible dialogue mixed with the horrific, cadaverous imagery of wasted Russian cities and filthy, wretched peasant life. Unbearable (and brilliant).
November 1, 2012
One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Ending is terrible and trying to GET to that ending is torturous.
2005 Seattle International Film Festival
½ November 1, 2012
Absurdein elokuva jonka olen ikinä nähnyt. Kiehtova ja iljettävä samaan aikaan. "Venäläisen naisen pitäisi pystyä juomaan litra vodkaa tuosta vain"
November 1, 2012
This is what communism is all about. The suppressive government made its people a bunch of carcass eating clones.
½ November 1, 2012
This is an utterly excellent film that I wish wholeheartedly was more widely appreciated, or at least more widely watched in the west. It is often regarded as all-out fantasy by its English speaking fans, but in western terms, I don't believe it's any more fantastical, or any less psycho-geographiical than either Blue Velvet for the US, or Patrick Keiller's London for the UK. This is THE modern Russian film.
... Not wishing to appear self satisfied, but having personally witnessed, admittedly briefly, the frighteningly vast, drab, misty autumnal vistas of Western Russia's marshes and grim, half abandoned towns, I am sure that this is the only film that comes anywhere close to depicting the weirdness and sheer teeth-grinding anxiety of those regions.
Watch it.
Seriously, watch it.
WATCH IT.
November 1, 2012
It was very artsy...in that "I didn't really follow it" kind of way.
November 1, 2012
Certainly a very strange film, and one that has some quite brilliant moments. But it never really comes together as a coherent whole.
November 1, 2012
This movie will surprise even experienced moviegoers, and maybe especially them. What is this? What are we watching? A "closed-door" story? An anticipation intrigue? Some science-fiction plot? An horror film? A comedy of manners??? Disturbing till the end, a film that deserves to be seen and reviewed.
½ November 1, 2012
A fascinating picture that introduces us to a great storyteller. At this point I don't know if the great storyteller is the director or the writer... But I do know that I enjoyed it's chaos, it's aburdity and it's characters. The granny breaddollmakers in the boonies made you thank god you were only watching a movie. Can't say I enjoyed the obvious symbolism... An art film needs no explanation. It's the whole raison d'etre. Either cater or don't. Truly disappointing were the tidy endings. Can't tell if it was the directors vision or the forceful hand of a dominant producer. In any case, close to brilliant. Show me more!
November 1, 2012
Unfocused and rather difficult to indulge in, but my god does he paint a fascinating picture of inner russia and it's people.
November 1, 2012
Ordet "grisfest" får plötsligt en helt ny innebörd. Skitigare och lerigare och ryskare blir det inte. Jobbigt att titta på, men svår att värja sig ifrån.
November 1, 2012
Another interesting film from the Tarr/Tarkovsky school of film-making, I look forward to more films from this director as his debut is strangely compelling
November 1, 2012
Really difficult movie. But if you have patience and relax, it does the postwar industrial complex beautifully.
November 1, 2012
difficult, boring, incoherent..but fucking awesome. tarkovsky and bela tarr reborn. for a first feature film this youngster cracked some crazy mesmerizing bleak dream view of mother russia and hit the nail on the head. post acolapytpic and symbolic film making at its boring best. 4 stars for trying and making it happen.
November 1, 2012
A great debut from another of the Tarkovsky/Tarr lot of filmmakers. Except Khrzhanovsky actually does leave some images in my head unlike Reygadas with his movie Japon who just leaves the pulsating satisfaction of having seen something as needlessly artistic and unwatchable as a three hour study on overexposing film stock. It's worth checking out.
½ November 1, 2012
its unlikely u'll get to see this anytime soon. it has no distribution in Britain and as far as I can tell no one imports it, but I can tell you this; the beginning of the film is incredible.
½ November 1, 2012
I just don't know what to think about this film. Is the director trying to show how unpleasant life in Russia is? Or is it some sort of surreal metaphor that has greater meaning? Are all the people clones? What's with the number 4? Or is it all just lost in translation? This film really draws you in; the cinematography is great, the different settings are captivating, and the random stories are all interesting in their own way. The only problem is once it's over you really have no fucking idea what happened. Which now that I think about it that was probably what the director was trying to do..... weird fucking flick...
November 1, 2012
Este film es de lo mas extraño, pero sientes la intriga de saber que es lo que esta sucediendo, al final si la ves de nuevo comprendes algunos detalles dentro de la pelicula, recomendada a gente que le guste el cine alternativo. Y ha! como chupan en Rusia eh!