500 Years Later - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

500 Years Later Reviews

½ February 8, 2012
black propaganda blaming the white race for their low intelligence and problems
February 20, 2011
Beautiful, well written, and educating movie
December 3, 2010
A wonderful documentary with a couple of flaws but I still highly recommend it.
½ July 30, 2010
it was really cool movie
May 4, 2010
THIS IS THE BEST INTRODUCTION TO THE PLIGHT OF THE AFRICAN DIASPORA ON FILM. Cosign everyone who believes it should be mandatory for all Afrikans to view. As an US born Afrikan, the scope and richness of this documentary really opened my eyes to what is achievable just on a cinematic level. It is saddening to see what has been kept hidden from me in terms of history, culture, and self worth but empowering to know that I do have one and that it can be present in dignity affirming terms.
August 28, 2009
Great, great documentary. Really goes indept into the atrocities Blacks suffered during slavery. I highly recomment this movie. It also touches on some of the issues that blacks face today. 5 stars.
November 8, 2008
Despite its bias and flaws, this is a powerful documentary that everyone should see so that they better understand the world from an African perspective. It makes many good points despite imitating many of the flaws it condemns: ethnocentrism, blaming, and a lack of responsibility for a people's actions in perpetuating their own predicament. Having mostly British intellectuals speak about the need to be African when they themselves carry European accents and values strikes me as somewhat hypocritical and elitist: this is hardly a film that comes from a man on the street's perspective. There is also the contradictory issue of Africans not being judged by the color of their skin while, in the meantime, they view the world entirely in terms of race. Moreover, the diversity of the continent is oversimplified, in my opinion, to make African-ness more palatable for culturally adrift Africans in the diaspora who are seeking some sort of validation and identity. The end result smacks of a superficial African-ness that is expressed on college campuses and bought in head shops. Islam is considered to be "African" despite the legacy of Arab colonialism, and there is almost no mention of Africans' own responsibility in perpetuating many of their social problems; rather, everything bad in the African world is, and partially rightly so, caused by the legacy of slavery. The end result is a documentary that, in its heavily Marxist, value laden perspective, will make you feel guilty if you are white. That said, it is also a valid, largely even handed study that is badly needed in the frank discussion of racial equality.
August 24, 2008
Everything that THEY refuse to teach us in school...GREAT movie!
½ August 3, 2008
this is a very motivational movie to help push us to know more about our history and ourselves.
April 2, 2008
I found it very interesting. I think it should be required watching in either HS or College.
January 27, 2008
Este documental trata sobre las consecuencias nefastas de la esclavitud africana a nive mundial
January 16, 2008
One of the best documentaries I have ever seen! I recommend this film to everyone.
December 1, 2007
There is still so much we do not know about our past, very educational, should be shown in schools perhaps.
November 13, 2007
Good documentary,makes you think and wonder where are we going as a people.