Reviews

• Dec 10, 2021

Not my kind of film. sorry not sorry

Not my kind of film. sorry not sorry

• Dec 08, 2021

One of 1000 other cancer movies. There was nothing to set it apart.

One of 1000 other cancer movies. There was nothing to set it apart.

• Dec 07, 2021

Honestly, I didn't really like it as much as other people did. I don't know why but I just didn't find it funny and didn't find it entertaining enough.

• Dec 01, 2021

A good film about a difficult topic, it maneuvers between jokes and drama with finesse. The stellar cast from Joseph Gordon-Levitt to Anjelica Huston, Anna Kendrick, and Seth Rogan delivers a Home Run. At the end of the day people like to laugh at tragedy. It makes them feel better.

• Sep 13, 2021

This film can only be described as a highly enjoyable, heartfelt trial by fire. I think that the main reason this movie is as funny as it is, as gut-wrenching as it is, and as special as it is is it's blend of chill buddy comedy and romance after breakup story under the solemn shroud of looming cancer. I was struck by the absolute futility, the despair that Adam must be feeling. The scene before the day of his definitive surgery, after fellow cancer patient had recently passed away, after he has expressed how tired of being sick he is, he wants to drive, he angrily kicks Kyle out of the car and calming down he calls Katherine finally saying wistfully "you would've made a good girlfriend". After the build up in the first part of the film that wanders through the ever worsening prospect of Adam's life with humorous, sweet and sad predicaments, this moment of despair, this realization of his loss of hope is heartbreaking, what could be the last night with his best friend to end in a fight, to have to leave the prospect of a good relationship, all of this, developed with the air of light comedy and romance, makes for an emotionally crushing window into the inferno that is terminal illness. I'm sure to those who have gone through similar this movie rang true as well, I have been in surgery and I had the same fear as Adam of waking up before the surgery was over. That along with the high emotions the main characters and we feel coupled with the completely normal procedure carried out by the hospital hit hard. But what makes this movie a highly enjoyable window is that it doesn't just show the sorrow of Adam's struggles, it shows the good that a trial by fire can do. Adam is driven down the path of not only bettering his life, but finding the good things he had all along. The moment where he sits next to his mom and asks her how here day was, when he sees the book that Kyle was reading about cancer, he lets go completely of his relationship with Rachael. All of these are poignant moments of growth for the better, but they were hard to come by which makes them all the better. While I choked up a lot in this movie, the parts I loved the most were the genuine moments with Kyle. His bumbling around (and his being played by Seth Rogan) make it seem like the character is just some comic relief that also just brings out the "friend" aspect in Adam, getting into misadventures together. I love that he's more than just that. That Seth Rogan got a great character to play, that there's a friend who I know genuinely cares about his buddy to the very end even when they fight and get on each others nerves they're there for each other. That's the kind of friend I want to be. Add to the performances Joseph Gordon-Levitt making the most of every frame with evident anguish under the surface and Anna Kendrick's uncanny ability to look nervous and awkward and there's excellent performances all across the board. Overall this movie was the good kind of rollercoaster, there were some slow and straight sections for sure but they were eclipsed fully by the ups and downs around them. I laughed, I cried, it moved me.

• Aug 24, 2021

Although it does juggle the comedy and drama quite well, 50/50 starts to wear thin near the second half. The film starts to linger longer than it should and lessens the effect of the initial effects.

• Jul 27, 2021

I was expecting something a little more light when it says "from the creators of superbad", but it was still a good movie.

• Jun 13, 2021

1/2 star because that puke Seth Rogen is in it.

1/2 star because that puke Seth Rogen is in it.

• Mar 17, 2021

This movie is a very heart warming movie. It makes you have a perspective of life, mainly when you feel like yours isn't so great. Just honestly love it. I cannot explain how this movie makes me feel but it's in a good way

• Mar 09, 2021

I enjoyed the film, it delves into the psychological struggle in accepting death, or as the protagonist puts it: I'm fine with dying, why nobody would just tell me that. Before changing his stance to: I haven't been to Canada, I haven't told a girl that I love her interactions are somewhat awkward, sometimes in a good and justified way, and some are not, for instance, the protagonist has an odd relationship with his parents at first, and though it's marginal, it sheds some light on how much of a "dick" you are when don't appreciate your mom's worry, who also deals with a husband with Alzheimer's and feels lonely, hence, she resorts to support groups. he also breaks up with his girlfriend, who cheated on him, due to constant stress and issues before his sickness. This shows how relationships are fragile during sickness, especially out of wedlock. He says in one scene: "it's not like you're my wife" giving her the option to bail out on him. I must say that his best friend as vulgar as he is, he's also genuine in his care of him and always tries to cheer him up, and added a much-needed sense of humor during these hard times. the story gets bleak towards the second half, a breakup, loss of mates at the hospital, awkwardness with parents and the therapist, and to top it off, the tumor isn't responding to the chemotherapy. however, the movie ends in a joyful tone, and things look up for him after all. He heals and shortly after starts dating his therapist and there the movie wraps up.