5150, Rue des Ormes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

5150, Rue des Ormes Reviews

½ September 28, 2014
A truly superb psychological thriller!
½ October 1, 2013
L'aspect psychologique est bien développé.
½ September 5, 2013
Unfinished Games may cause Obsessions, but an Unachieved Purpose can Kill--A Psychological Nightmare on "Ormes" Street!!
½ February 9, 2013
A Pitiful joke of a film, "5150 Rue des Ormes" offers absolutely nothing with characters that consistently contradict their development and a plot that is so disjointed and without any truly obvious purpose.

It attempts to disturb the viewer, however with any halfway decent explanations for the events transpiring onscreen, the only truly disturbing thing about the film is if the viewer is actually able to sit through the entire thing at all.
½ January 17, 2013
Shoulda been a short film.
½ August 16, 2012
A French language psycho-thriller from Canada that's exceptionally well executed with a seemingly simple plot centers around an accidental captivity of an young film student in a residence of a righteous psychopath & fanatic chess player. With some great characterization & a good cast, the film comes with a good production value, not so much gore except if you count a room of bleeding wall & its floor flooded with blood! The entertainment more lies on the growing psychological tensions between & within the characters & the slowly changing course of events.
June 28, 2012
Pretty good, despite being French (yep, I was taken in by the synopsis saying "Made in Canada" and it having an English title here in Australia). Intriguing, with an interesting ending. Has a few contrivances and the plot isn't perfect, but it is compelling enough.
½ June 22, 2012
A brilliantly acted and original horror film that is different from what we normally get.
½ May 31, 2012
ugly people, poor direction
May 19, 2012
Jusqu'oý peut aller la folie ?
½ May 4, 2012
Film quebecois fort interessant mais qui peche par ces moments de lenteur. Trop d'ouverture de portes, de descente et de montee d'escaliers. Scenario neanmoins bien construit avec une petite touche d'humour. Mais on a encore envie de jouer. La partie n'est pas finie.
April 28, 2012
Decent enough French horror... Love the chess set!
April 10, 2012
Not bad, it was a good dark thriller. But I would have find it way better if I had not read the book in first place, because all I could think of was all the differences between it and the movie. What upset me the most, is that, in the book, Yannick is really less.. arrogant and looking for trouble than in the movie, and his relation with Jacques Beaulieu is a lot more complex and intriguing and it evolves more, it the movie, it's not what's the most the most important. And I truly was upset they removed the kind of epilogue, with what Michelle does... But the actors were good, because I have to admit, I expected much worse from some of them.
March 27, 2012
nice psychological movie
½ March 23, 2012
Quebecois are messed up.

Stochholm syndrome.
I shouldnt have done this right after 7 days
March 23, 2012
The book was so much better. It seems like an easy thing to say, but it still is true. What upset me the most is that in the book, Yannick really enters this mess by total accident. In the movie, he walked himself in the house, and kind of searched for trouble. It kind of pissed me off. Normand D'Amour was incredible.
½ March 14, 2012
A decent enough, better than average, French thriller about another kidnapped youngster, imprisoned in a rather odd family home set-up.

This film was good in places but for me, it also falls flat (maybe I watch too many Euro horrors?). It is well written, acted and directed (and shot) but at times lacks deeper character development to be anything other than just plain good. The original element comes in the form of chess (and it's related power games) as the twisted father of the family controls and justifies his murderous/torturous ways through misguided religious beliefs. He controls his family (daughters and wife) and kidnaps a passing teenager in a quest to cleanse another unjust individual.

I would recommend this film, as there is enough content here, and it is well delivered, but do not expect anything too inspirational, moving, deep or new. A well put together and delivered film that may divide opinion, with a lesser start and ending and a psychological study open for interpretation, and in this case, appreciation.
½ February 25, 2012
This is weird....

Not believable but still... very watchable and well made.
January 7, 2012
Fantastic film. Who knew chess could be so twisted.