Tanner on Tanner (Tanner '88) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tanner on Tanner (Tanner '88) Reviews

February 23, 2009
Update on Tanner '88 is shorter but less essential.
½ January 5, 2009
How is it that Tanner on Tanner has its own designation but Tanner '88 has none? I consider this to be legendary television. One really gets the sense from watching this that the targets for satire aren't really far off from the reality of campaigning.
November 30, 2008
wow just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch....its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie...i think that the director of this Television, Comedy movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie its enjoyable as well...its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout
October 16, 2008
i'm more concerned with Tanner '88 than Tanner on Tanner. Tanner '88 was pretty good. I thought it was worth while, not a lot of other stuff out there that strikes the same tone....
September 25, 2008
it's not quite as stunning as Tanner 88, but how could it be? This on its own is very funny, and features another turn from Cynthia Nixon as a bitchy character (only here, unlike the bulk of Sex and the City, there's consistency and proper motivation in the writing and acting), and some creative meta-film material for Altman to tinker with. It's also very fascinating to watch four years later for what wasn't and what may be (Kerry and Obama respectively)
½ June 11, 2008
A Tanner '88 review: As expected, Altman and Trudeau created a candidate so realistic that he actually inspires all who watch him. It's not a mockumentary like Spinal Tap, although it does have a few hilarious moments. It's more of a visual essay on the nature of politics and the nature of the media and how it portrays politics. A bit overlong but entertaining and thought-provoking nonetheless. I would vote for John Tanner in a heartbeat.
May 31, 2008
I'm only reviewing this because Tanner '88 isn't on here. And, as far as that is concerned, original idea, but too much written plot to be taken as a solid critique.
May 19, 2008
My Rating is for Tanner '88 not this.
March 17, 2008
I only watched the first episode but I could barely take that. Ive always thought Robert Altman was a bit overrated, this illustrates all my reasons. The show has good intentions, but it too long, cliche, and overwritten. Also, none of the characters seem real to me but instead they all seem to be stereotypes arbitrarily thrown into the story to make it seem interesting not relating at all with the message of the show. Maybe it gets better after the first episode. But if I am not captivated by the first hour I sit through, I have high doubts.
½ December 8, 2007
This show and the first miniseries are amazingly original. It is so much fun to watch the characters try to win an election.
½ November 17, 2007
Loved Tanner '88. Never saw this though. Tanner was a great send up of the political process with flashes of brilliances and believabilty. The biggest lapse when Tanner announces his proposed cabinet postings, a liberal's wet dream that would never, ever happen in center-right America (at least among a candidate anywhere near contending). Gloria Steinem? Ralph Nader? Studs Terkel? Barbara Jordan? Robert Redford? Jim Hightower? Art Buchwald? (Though I wish it could be; that vignette was the kind of pablum that execrable West Wing would do years later--White House staffers clearing their schedule to talk to curious teens, dark horse presidential candidates sticking to unpopular principles time and time again and benefitting from it with no fallout or repercussions. Unrealistic blech!) Tanner is yet another mostly great look at our vacuous political process.
November 9, 2007
Not overwhelming, but very interestingly made
September 30, 2007
It was interesting, I knew very little about it when I watched it. It wasn't great, but had some moments that were quite good. It's worth watching some people might really like it.
August 28, 2007
Since the original Tanner '88 isn't listed here, I'll sing my praises for hit here along as for this one which is actually the sequel. Trudeau's writing and Altman's style for this precursor to films like Borat is still funny and relavant to anyomne that tries to explore the current political landscape. This is truly satire at its finest.
August 24, 2007
This may be a little blasphamous but I'm not a big fan of Robert Altman. His camera work is way too simplistic. That being said this movie/miniseries was absolutely amazing! Garry Trudeau's writing is what makes the film shine its brightest! Its a political science majors dream!
August 23, 2007
Robert Altman (The Long Goodbye, MASH)and Gary Trudeau (Doonesbury) collaborating on a TV miniseries? I gotta see this!
June 30, 2007
Robert Altman, you were an amazing man. This mini-series entertained me the entire time I watched it, and Cynthia Nixon even impressed me.
June 12, 2007
I've seen this twice now. I rented it once about a year ago and then I recently bought it and watched it again. This is actually a television miniseries and is a follow up to the stellar Tanner '88. Both shows are incredible and are extremely creative. They feature a blend of fact and fiction. Actors Michael Murphy (who later was in the ABC miniseries The Path to 9/11 in 2006), Cynthia Nixon, Pamela Reed, and others do an excellent job. We also see Al Franken, Al Sharpton, John Kerry, Howard Dean, and many other real people playing themselves. I think this is some of the best TV out there and is a fine piece of work by director Robert Altman, who is surely one of the best directors of all time.