5 Days Of War - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

5 Days Of War Reviews

½ September 12, 2016
I know this movie is actually based on a true story about the Russo-Georgian War, the events happened when the Russian military desperately invaded Georgia in 2008. Vladimir Plutin is behind all of this because he ordered his men to attack Georgia. The Georgian military has also fought back against the Russians. Georgia tried to call the United States of America for help against the Russian soldiers, but the Americans did not intervene.
August 30, 2016
When propaganda reaches extreme.
March 30, 2016
the movie being clear anti-russia propaganda notwithstanding, it's not a very good movie with very unconvincing plot.
February 17, 2015
Unfortunately the Georgians have only this movie to provide a fictional account of the Russian invasion of their territory. It is a Michael Bay treatment which removes most of the gravity of the actual situation. A shame.
½ January 30, 2015
I don't know what I was expecting... I guess, 11 positive reviews got me wondering if there was something to this movie. I guess - not.
½ October 15, 2014
Mixed feelings about this film, it certainly wasnt very good, but it did have a sense of realism to it and focused on a military topic that we don't ever see: military reporters or journalists. The opening scene was good, an engaging way to start the film, but it falls apart a little after that. The plot around the reporters is good and different. It has some stupid misplaced humor at times, and Val Kilmer character isn't likable, believable, or smart. The acting is ok, I don't know any of the cast other than Val however, and the script is so-so. Of course they make it convienien that whenever two people of different nations meet they can speak one of the languages, usually English. But when people of Russia or Georgia speak with each other, there are no subtitles and we have no idea what the hell is going on. The action is mixed. It's overdone at times in terms of explosions, but it's not bad in that area, blood effects are ok, and half the time gun effects are decent but look fake, the other half they are fake. The Russian soldiers are stereotypical tough guys who fire off their guns for fun, and they have bad aim. There is always help coming in the nick of time for the main characters, or they find stupid ways to keep them alive. In the end of the movie they do this twice, first the enemy commander that that surrounds them waves them off and tells them to go, then the Russian who captures Tomas shoots himself instead of killing him. The girl who Tomas loves is kept around to add the romance factor, but she just makes all the wrong decisions and should have ended up getting Tomas killed a few times. Above all that negativity the action isn't even exciting or good to keep you really interested. Good idea, poorly done
½ September 29, 2014
At it's first glance, its really interesting to watch this especially it happened in real situations and about modern media in a modern warfare. The bad part is, Harlin's execution is just weak as it could be. It lacks of emotion and its dramatic effects, bad screenwriting actually ( I was thinking Micheal Bay all the time I'm watching it ). This might have it's good potential thinking its a war film in real life, well that's pretty cool. But then, if you want to watch more gun fight scenes and tank explosions on midnights. This might feed you.
August 3, 2014
All I can say is that so much of this movie reflects my own experience. Yes, the critics have some valid points but this film shows the reality of journalists in a war zone better than any film that I have seen. So much of this film resonated with me. I had tears in my eyes by the end as I remembered refugees, idps and others affected by war in Kargil, Eastern DRC, Uganda, Syria. I urge all who wish to know the real truth of war to watch and take from this film what you can. Disregard the fatuous comments of those who have never ventured beyond there own comfort zone and learn from this film.
May 16, 2014
Despite being panned by critics, this was a compelling and shockingly graphic film on the affects of war on civilians, journalists, and combatants, plus the apathy of governments and people unaffected.
½ March 14, 2014
Based on the true event of Russian invasion of Georgia during the Summer Olympics Game of 2008, the movie presented a journalistic atmosphere revolving around a journalist and a Georgian woman he became attracted to. Together with the crew of reporters they witnessed an act of war crime and were sought after, among all civilians by the invading mecenaries, who came with helicopters and tanks. A small group of soldiers and unlikely events help make this a movie where the hero will just not die.

This film is to be recommended neverthelss because of its cinematography that forced all the suffering, desolation and cruelty of wars in your face. It's easy to read a news piece but difficult to put it into perspective. This film helps you visualise what it meant to be war-torn. I happened to view this film when Russia is at it again, this time at Crimea in Ukraine.

And dare I say the film is also well-scripted for a "war movie"!

"I believe that all the trials that we face lead us to our purpose."
½ January 31, 2014
As, unfortunately, is often the case with realistic-ish war movies, particularly those based on actual events, is that real life is just not all that interesting. I found myself thinking that it had run its course, then realising that there was still 40 minutes of runtime remaining. It's rare for me to ever say that a film could use some condensing, but in 5 Days of War I have found such an overly-long piece.

The events of the film, which covers the Russia-Georgia War in the 2008 Battle of Gori, are remarkably biased in favour of the Georgians, portraying them as innocent bystanders in the South Ossetian events, and Russians as bloodthirsty thieves, rapists and murderers.

Val Kilmer makes for a surprisingly pleasant addition, and primary Russian villain, Mercenary Daniil, makes for a moderate badass, but nobody else is really much of a crowd pleaser. Most saddening though is the fact that 5 Days of War just plain doesn't bring anything new to the table. I'm always keen to get behind work involving British actor Richard Coyle (Franklyn, Outpost: Black Sun, Coupling), but I'm afraid this one just has no true positive aspect. Instead, it lingers somewhere in the realm of "tolerable". It's strange for a film so laden with military action to manage feel so stagnant.

January 27, 2014
Watch this movie! Is a bit cheesy in parts, but received way too much criticism for that. Overall a really interesting story that I didn't know about, and has some great sequences.
½ January 21, 2014
Monday, January 20, 2014

(2011) 5 Days Of War

This is like another one of those movies where a child is trying to explain about his good intentions and it wouldn't make any sense to anyone else except him. Anyways, this should never been made into a movie in the first place for it would've been much more interesting had it been a documentary. At the start of the movie, we assumed that it's about the photographers or journalists, but then it shifts to it's story to be about the people- the people of Georgia that is, a minor country located next to Russia. Apparently, Georgia is not the first country to be invaded by Russia because they had also invaded Afghanistan as well and the Americans intervened by selling weapons to the people of Afghanistan unaware that those very weapons were going to be used on us and to our allies. On the first 30 minutes or so dwells on a particular situation which an American photographer journalist, Thomas (Rupert Friend) along with some of his colleagues coincidently were saved by some Georgian soldiers from Iraqi soldiers on the side of Saddam Hussein. Before Thomas get carried away he's then given a cheap looking trinket by one of the Georgian soldiers to remember him by. Then the film jumps a few years later, and because he still remembers the Georgian soldier who saved him, he felt an obligation to go and see him since he was offered an assignment to go down there. Georgia another country that's located almost right next to Russia, are in cahoots with them since they're accusing them of an attack even though theirs evidence that it actually happened. For it's obvious, the reason Russia is declaring war against the people of Georgia is because the opportunity is there for it was during the Olympics. At this point viewers are wondering how come Georgian villages or towns who live so close to the border are not running far away from it. Director Renny Harlin never explains for the people just stand their and accept their fate while Thomas and his filming crew are eager to film as much atrocities instead of running away from it. And then the film shifts to having the journalists being chased by that particular sadistic Russian army since this chip contains damning footage that could dampen Russian's credibility. And it does this on such pretentious fashion that viewers wouldn't really know what to make of it. Emmanuelle Chriqui plays Tatia the girl who's family of the village/ town that was attacked. Heather Graham stars as an unrecognizable Miriam Eisner, Andy Garcia as Georgia's President Mikheil Saakashvili, and Dean Cain has a small part as US ambassador of Georgia.

1 star out of 4 for it's good intentions
August 7, 2013
A one sided propaganda film
June 21, 2013
These Characters has no Development.
May 31, 2013
Yes, it's about the Caucasus. And it is truly, nauseatingly bad.
½ May 13, 2013
Extremely impressive production value (only cost 12 mil) can't save this from being a cliched, blatant, poorly acted, jingoistic shitfest.
April 26, 2013
Leaving the geopolitics aside, which are too confusing, a well-shot and pretty exciting film. The staggering power and terror of modern mechanized warfare come through all too well. The script is somewhat fantastical, but the film at least provides some sort of introduction to the events of those days.
½ April 21, 2013
This movie is a joke. It is completely inaccurate and comical towards the events which happened during the "5 day war". Completely ridiculous.
January 8, 2013
This movie sucks. I don't know why Andy Garcia and Val Kilmer would act in this propaganda.