5x2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

5x2 Reviews

½ September 16, 2010
It had a exceptionally tantalizing premise, but as the film dragged on, it got less intense and more frothy, characters got flimsier, and it seemed less inspired by 'Kramer vs. Kramer' and more by 'Out of Africa.' I believe it would have worked a lot better if the story had been told linearly, but props to Ozon (who continues to impress me) for the idea.
½ September 12, 2010
Encore une fois, Valeria séduit..
½ June 18, 2010
A difficult film made more so by these completely self-absorbed, unlikeable characters. When first we see Marion (Valeria Bruni-Tedeschi) and Gilles (Stephane Freiss), they are in a judgeâ??s chambers as he reads the divorce decree that will terminate their short, mercurial marriage. In a series of scenes that march time backwards, we see the seeds of this breakup as they are sown, but not until the final scene, which is first in the sequence of events, do we realize how doomed this relationship was from the beginning. The methodology employed is certainly interesting and keeps one going, looking for the point at which hope was still alive, but the desolate answer is not the one we had wished for. The scenery, in some of the earlier (story-wise) locales, was quite lovely and the viewer is treated to some wonderful cinematography. The film certainly benefited from strong direction from Francois Ozon. But one ultimately wishes that these people were more sympathetic so that one could sense the tragedy more honestly. Not a lot of fun, and a whole lot of bad choices.
½ May 19, 2010
Loved the concept of the film a quit and intriguing character study of a marriage that has disintegrated over the years. The execution of the story is nothing less than brilliant. How they begin the film with divorce and work backwards covering the major pivotal points throughout their relationship working towards the ending when they first meet. In a sense Ozon gives you your happy ending by the close of the film. But we know otherwise thanks to it's beginning. I really liked how you can see the small and subtle hints as they back through their relationships and you can pick up on the little things that help to slow break down their love over time. The story was a little too slow paced but if you stick with the experience is immensely rewarding. Ozon is one of the few French directors who can do no wrong.
April 25, 2010
It was weird watching this movie since it begins at the dissolution of the marriage and ends at the beginning of their relationship. It almost felt that it had a happy ending. Well done.
lesleyanorton
April 15, 2010
Reverse chronology is the perfect vehice for showing a relationship, by taking us backwards from divorce papers via childbirth though to wedding and then that first meeting is a perfect, you can see where it all goes wrong, and how the mighty oak of relationship breakdown grows from the tiny seed of discontent. It would have been better if the lead male hadn't been such a git though.
April 11, 2010
A very minimalistic conceptual movie about a relationship heading to it's bitter end. The movie begins with the last scene: the couple divorces. Why, you'll ask yourself? In 5 scenes we hop back into time and get to know where the relationship went wrong and how it all started.

The beauty of this movie lies in the fact that it is more than just a concept. It's about real people. A lot of critics stated they couldn't relate to the maincharacters. To me, this wasn't a problem at all. Their personalities are quite clear but their deeper dilemma's stay secrets only revealed by body-language.

The actors are beautiful, the story is amazing and concept is nice. Don't expect too much, but expect a minamlistic drama that is far from pretentious (thank god for that).
½ April 11, 2010
Weird, weird movie. Dont show this to americans, they'll think even worse about the french :p But, Remarkable! The love embrassed things that happen , happen for a reason according to the feelings the person has in the relationship, but the feelings are weird and unusual. You see certain events in a different order and its up to you to figure out why they do this and that. The ending is sort of not the real ending but what it should have been or at a point that everything is still perfect. Touching scenes and surely astounding acting but weird...
½ March 19, 2010
Una historia contada al "revés" para quedarnos con un final feliz (?) acaso todos callamos algo?
February 18, 2010
Nice little drama about a divorcing couple, but the story goes backwards.
January 19, 2010
A relationship between a man and a woman, depicted in 5 chapters of their lives. Really nice to see.
November 28, 2009
A powerful and moving exploration of the breakdown of a relationship. Hardly fun and enjoyable stuff but excellent filmmaking with wonderful performances.
½ November 27, 2009
Interesting telling of the dissolution of a marriage told in a backwards chronology format through five distinct acts/scenes. If this were told in the standard forward chronology, it definitely would not work as well.
½ October 17, 2009
La historia es muy interesante, lástima que me la vendieron como comedia y esperaba reirme, resultando un drama la miré con otras ganas! :S
igualmente me pareció distinta y muy buena!
½ October 14, 2009
One off the pleasant long motion picture by Francois Ozon. A special, in-depth & emotional narrative leading by Valeria Bruni Tedeschi & Stephane Freiss.
½ October 1, 2009
This French film tells the story of a couple's marriage from their first meeting to their divorce, but in reverse, from end to beginning. The story was deeply unsatisfying, there were too many unanswered questions, and the couple lacked any sort of romantic magnetism at every stage of their relationship. It was difficult to get an idea of why their relationship started (lust?) let alone why it ended.
½ October 1, 2009
Interesting film, kinda obsessed with sex though haha. It was quite disturbing at times what with the rape 'n' all uurgh. It was depressing yet happy at the same time because even though their life ended in divorce the actual film ended with them together which was quite nice.
September 30, 2009
Found this an absorbing film, although the scene at the beginning was almost unbearable to watch on so many levels. Interesting seeing it unfold in reverse and makes you consider just how inevitable the end actually was. Brilliant acting from all round.
½ September 29, 2009
good French film, it's filmed in reverse with a look a relationship from end to begining. it's well acted but is a bit bland. I like foriegn language films but this not one of the best I've seen. but it's still a good film.
August 21, 2009
The reverse narration is unfortunately not enough to make that movie completely convincing. It lacks both pace and intensity, though the acting is pretty good and the situations are well depicted. Still, a very useful catalogue of the wrong reasons why to settle with someone...