633 Squadron - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

633 Squadron Reviews

½ May 5, 2010
R.A.F. squadron is ordered to destroy a Nazi rocket fuel plant tucked deep into a Norwegian fjord. The bomb run is a logistical nightmare because the planes must run a gantlet of anti-aircraft batteries before reaching their target. Based on a true story,
½ April 8, 2010
Today's film..........A squadron never dies............Chocks away.
November 13, 2009
Back then when we thought the big world issues would never be settled by war again, schoolboy adventures filled the cinema circuit. Vietnam and its cinematic realism, the brutal comedy of Catch 22, the everpresent 21st century threat from terrorism and political powerlessness make 633 Squadon into a curiosity of no lasting value, a cinematic bauble. The artwork alone says it all at a glance.
Just for the record, in 1964 after a rainy-holiday viewing of no alternative available, my 40y old ex Lancaster tailgunner father broke his misty-eyed recollections with a brief "it wasn't like that... AT ALL". But he liked the briefing-hut scene, when the pukka RAF-officer dismisses the crews onto their death-mission saying "Carry on chaps - I wish I was going with you" and the pawky aussie/cockney retorts sotto voce "you can have my seat if you like". My dad liked that ... it helped him put his real memories behind him, and cope.
½ September 19, 2009
½ September 19, 2009
Some special effects seems out of date but that doesn't take anything away from the story.
August 27, 2009
Excitement,adventure,derring-do and courage in the war-torn skies over nortnern Europe are "the right stuff"for this pulse-pounding World War 11 air drama.Two Academy Award" winners headline the sold cast: Cliff Robertson (Best Actor,charly ,1968) and George Chakiris (Best Supporting Actor,West Sidestory 1961). Robertson,an avid flyer in real life,plays a combat-weary pilot whose R.A.F Squardron is ordered on an apparent suicide mission to destory a Nazi rocket fuel plant - tucked deep into a Norwegian fjord. Chakiris portrays a resistance fighter whose fate numbers among the many ironies in the expertly written screenplay. To make the film,which is based on a true story a squadron of legendaryMosquito flighter-bombers was resurrected from near extinction.Dazzling fly-ing sequences bone-shaking sound and superb special effects help make this one of the most realistic air combat films ever to reach the screen.
August 20, 2009
Pretty interesting and cool little flick. If you like dogfights and lots of WW2 footage this is the movie for you. The plot is slightly thin but that's not the point of the movie. This movie is all about planes, which are pretty awesome.

Also, of note to any Star Wars fans: the final briefing scene and final battle scene were used shot by shot in A New Hope (admittedly by Lucas) so for that I'd suggest people should watch this. It's a very solid movie and can't recommend enough.
August 8, 2009
A boyhood favourite that unfortunately has not aged at all well - the model/aerial scenes look particularly dodgy now. Still the Ron Goodwin theme music is as rousing as ever!
½ August 1, 2009
Typical Britsh war film, although it doesn't do anything not already done, it is still a commendable effort. Shoddy effects (by today's standards anyway)! Rumour has it the attack scene was the inspiration for Star Wars......
½ February 12, 2009
Good flying sequences (they destroyed real Mosquito aircraft!) but plot is a bit thin in places IMO
February 7, 2009
It may suffer from many of the restrictions of a film made in the 60's but overall this is a corking film whose real star is the soundtrack.
February 5, 2009
Best plane from WWII...great movie!
December 26, 2008
Standard issue 60's WWII flick with some shocking continuity errors, but definately worth a watch. Don't expect much with regards to special effects and you won't be upset.
November 17, 2008
Dated and not particularly realistic, but surprisingly grim. Lovingly restored Mosquitos. Big influence on the trench run sequence in a little movie called Star Wars.
September 7, 2008
great well know title theme with a good story that shows us some of the skill needed in these war missions
½ August 12, 2008
Hopelessly outdated and pointless. Was made for recruitment purposes, I'd gather...
½ June 7, 2008
Enjoyable, more than watchable, and a great performance from Cliff Robertson.
May 28, 2008
A stiff upper lip. let's get at them story of derring do in De Havailand Mosquitoes. Excellent score, and brilliant cast.
DrLappos
½ March 26, 2008
I have always loved the old war movies and this cheezy outpouring doesnt dissapoint....Chocks away, tally bally Ho!
March 19, 2008
I actually prefer this to the Dam Busters - the story is amazing when you consider the skill in which these guys actually had to fly (the real guys, not the actors). The title music is fab!