Masters of Horror - Stuart Gordon: Dreams in the Witch House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Masters of Horror - Stuart Gordon: Dreams in the Witch House Reviews

September 18, 2013
Worth a good look especially for the short amount of time it requires.
½ April 16, 2010
Not Gordon's best - derivative and cliched. Silly, not scary, although I don't think this was his intent, despite his other films. It has its moments (involving rats and babies, and a pretty good lead performance) but isn't really worth watching.
½ November 19, 2009
This is an excellent little horror flick. The cast is terrific, it has a lot of suspense, some really scary scenes. It does go off the deep end a little bit, but I never lost interest.
January 24, 2009
[b]Imprint[/b], from director Takashi Miike ("God's Puzzle"), has scarred me for life. The acting is atrocious, but the story and the gore and the whole thing (abortions anyone?) turned my stomach. And yet, I couldn't look away.

[b]Jenifer,[/b] from director Dario Argento ("Mother of Tears"), gave me nightmares. No joke. The story is about a cop who rescues a woman who then turns out to be a monster. The way things are lit makes it a really beautiful film, but the story stuck with me so much that I actually don't like thinking about it.

[b]Dreams in the Witch House[/b] is based on an H.P. Lovecraft story and focuses on a student who moves into a rundown boarding house and begins having strange dreams. There's a rat with a human face, a witch and human sacrifice. Yet even with all that, this episode is just not as engaging as some of the others.

[b]Deer Woman [/b]feels the most like a TV show of all the Masters of Horror I've seen. That said, it was extremely entertaining. It's more humorous and visually disturbing than scary. The story follows a series of strange murders where it looks like a giant deer has killed the men who were all last seen with a beautiful woman.

[b]Homecoming[/b] is from director Joe Dante ("The Greatest Show Ever") and features his political satire. In the episode, a politician wishes deceased soldiers could come back and vote in the election because they would approve of the president's decision to go to war. And then the soldiers do come back, and they want their vote. It's a silly zombie story.
April 9, 2006
Even better than John Carpenter's "Cigarette Burns".

Gordon has done a fantastic job of not only adapting the Lovecraft story, but also putting it in modern times - which is often a terrible mistake many filmmakers make, but it worked here.

The acting is much better than what was in "Cigarette Burns", and the leading man did a good job of being both funny and genuinely frightened by what is occurring.

Some decent gore is thrown in as well.

7.5