Masters of Horror - Larry Cohen: Pick Me Up - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Masters of Horror - Larry Cohen: Pick Me Up Reviews

July 20, 2010
Spare me the part about how you will do anything

A bus is stranded on the side of the highway in the middle of the wilderness and their radio will not work. An insane truck driver offers to pick up some of the passengers and take them to the local truck stop. Some people trust the driver and some don't. The people who do not go with the truck driver encounter a strange hitchhiker at the bus. Which group is more likely to survive, the individuals who go with the trucker or those who encounter the hitchhiker?

"I wouldn't know CPR from the IRS."

Larry Cohen, director of It's Alive I, II, & III; Black Caesar; Hell Up In Harlem; A Return to Salem's Lot; Q; Wicked Stepmother; and Original Gangsters delivers Masters of Horror: Pick Me Up. The storyline for this picture is fascinating and well delivered for those who enjoy the horror genre. This picture felt a little like the late 90s movie Joyride. The acting is above average and the cast includes Fairuza Balk (The Craft), Warren Kole (24), and Michael Moriarty (Along Came a Spider).

"You're not my victim and I don't butt in."

I have enjoyed watching the Masters of Horror series for some time when it first aired on Showtime and continue to catch the episodes I previously missed since this series recently returned to the Sci-Fi and Chiller Channels. These episodes are not as good as the HBO series Tales from the Crypt; however, it is still horror genre magic. I strongly recommend seeing as many of these episodes as possible.

"When you're fishing the bait doesn't ask stupid questions."

Grade: C+
May 2, 2010
This movie was great--the ending classic!
½ January 25, 2010
Very bland. The longer Fairuza Balk acts, the worse she gets. Uninteresting characters, lame plot, stupid ending. Don't bother.
December 3, 2009
Rather brutal entry in the Masters of Horror series, but it?s well done. Suspenseful, creepy and well acted. It has it?s share of gore. The characters are well developed, good job considering the length of the film.