Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog Reviews

½ October 28, 2012
Everything that makes Whedon's stuff work, compressed into 43 minutes, it'll make you giggle with glee then rip your heart out and show it to you.
½ September 8, 2012
Memorable characters, catchy songs and a fun experience. If you like musicals or Joss Whedon, you do yourself a disservice by not seeing this.
May 9, 2012
short, quick, fun, hilarious and awesome
April 27, 2012
Love this so much! The songs are amazing! And of course, so is NPH!
March 31, 2012
Filmed during the 2008 writer's strike that paralyzed television, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is about a supervillain (Neil Patrick Harris) attempting to defeat his nemesis (Nathan Fillion) while winning the heart of the lady he sees at the laundromat (Felicia Day). Co-writer/director Joss Whedon merges his love of nerd culture with his fascination for musical theater with a delightfully witty result. The cast is filled with fan-favorite actors and they all deliver funny, cheeky performances. Harris, as expected, steals the show with his bombastic portrayal of the title role.
February 28, 2012
this just shows that during the writers strike something awesome can emerge. a hilarious merger of comic books and musicals, plus an all star cast make this 40 minutes of awesome
December 30, 2011
It's a tragic story-- wrapped in great music and witty lines. It's a deconstruction of the concepts of good and evil. Short but effective.
½ September 17, 2011
It is an internet marvel that made a evil villain a sweet singer and at the end of it is what ever good movie should do kill off a main character. It shines a new light on musicals and has the comedy that I enjoy.
November 26, 2010
We watch it every Saturday morning, like clockwork! It's the way we get our weekend off to a great start.
½ November 16, 2010
This is one of the most original and charming musicals out there, and also one of the funniest. For having a 42 minute running time, there is a ton crammed in here but it all works extremely well. Neil Patrick Harris delivers one of his best performances to date, and the few supporting cast members are excellent as well. If you missed this movie like I did a couple years ago, do yourself a favour and check this out right now.
Ryan M
November 15, 2010
8.0/10

What I can't understand is how "Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog" hasn't gotten the up-most amount of respect that it deserves. If being consistently funny and well acted makes a straight-to-DVD/webseries forgettable, then I beg to differ. "Dr. Horrible" is like mother of the modern webseries-turned-short-movie; a privileged little film which is sure to be a solid cult classic. As a lover of certain cult films, I've got to say that this is undoubtfully one of the good ones. It isn't the best cult film, but it's a clever little musical with more heart and humor than one would be lead to respect by its lack of promotion. If you haven't heard of it, then I don't blame you. What I'm telling you right now is that if you've got around 40 minutes to spare, then this little gem is a good way to spend those minutes. It's worth your time in more ways than one.

This is a pretty clever spin on the classic battle between good and evil. Dr. Horrible is the central character, a rising bad-ass who documents his quest(s) through a video blog. The "sing-along" part undoubtfully comes from the fact that the whole thing is in fact a musical. There's not much of a great story, but the film does a good job at satirizing superhero/villain-movie cliches and stereotypical characters. Dr. Horrible's hunky handyman arch-nemesis is the biggest and funniest stereotype in the whole film, although Dr. Horrible alone is hilarious to watch. The film revolves mostly around Horrible's love for Penny, a woman he knows solely from "laundry day". Come on, at least admit that's clever.

Neil Patrick Harris is funny and overall pretty good. He's never been a spectacular actor and nothing has changed, but he's awfully funny here. Felicia Day plays Penny, while Nathan Fillon plays Captain Hammer. The funniest thing from the efforts of the cast is the choice to add "The Big Bang Theory" star Simon Helberg into the mix. Helberg is always hilarious to watch even when he's not portraying the stereotypical Jew. I guess the good stuff fails to change.

The musical number aren't half bad. They're nothing amazing, but I was never annoyed by any of them in particular. Sure, Penny's were kind of irritating, although only for a little bit. Aside from the annoying qualities of those particular songs, "Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog" is funny stuff. And it's also laden with hilariously apparent cliches and the like. Good times, yes?
½ July 20, 2010
This is a quickly becoming a cult classic. It's short, but it more than makes up for it's length in tongue-in-cheek comedy.
½ July 7, 2010
I've never really checked out Angel and Buffy and although I liked Firefly (Serenity (the movie) wasn't good though), I can't say that I was crazy about it. So I didn't quite know what to expect from this Joss Whedon short musical, but after watching it I found that it wasn't my thing. So I still don't understand what the Joss Whedon fuzz is all about.
June 21, 2010
With very limited resources, Joss Whedon has crafted a wonderful piece of art. The music is great, the performances are campy good, and as it raps up, you realize that it is also a very moving piece.
½ May 19, 2010
Excellent and marvelous are words that can describe Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. I knew nothing of the story before renting that DVD. I rented because of the high rating and because of Neil Patrick Harris. It is an original story and the writing is genius. Unlike anything I've seen before. Fast paced and well edited. The acting can be described as amazing. Neil Patrick Harris was fantastic. He brought depth and likability to the character as well as humor. NPH was the reason I watched the DVD and for him alone it was worth it. Nathan Fillion and Felicia Day were great. I couldn't imagine anyone else playing their parts. Nathan Fillion seems to have the charming jerk attitude to him in Dr. Horrible, which works wonderfully for the character. Felicia Day brings an innocents and wonder to the story. The supporting cast adds to the elements of the story as well. Joss Whedon is, again I say, amazing. The direction and the reveals were great. The music was extraordinary. Completely original and catchy. I continued to sing the songs after the DVD stopped. A different kind of musical and one that should not be over looked. I absolutely loved this DVD and I would defiantly recommend it.
½ May 16, 2010
Original, funny, great musical pieces and... NEIL PATRICK HARRIS.
Considering it's low budget and had no commercial distribution I am glad I found this internet treasure. Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog is hilarious with seriously good singing and an original idea of a failed villain that tries his best to be evil and mean. Neil Patrick Harris is in my opinion a great talent with acting diversity and hopefully in the next few years we'll be seeing him more and more. A two thumbs up and a recommendation for everyone!
½ May 14, 2010
Cute and campy, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is fun and funny. Perfect casting, and surprisingly simple. Comedic musical at it's best.
½ April 24, 2010
Awesome! Good Songs, funny, interesting story. I enjoyed this immensely.
April 23, 2010
Sooooo many one-liners. I absolutely loved it, have been singing it for weeks, and am more than excited about the possible sequel. I have a PHD in horribleness. Instant classic...