Devil - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Devil Reviews

July 25, 2016
Really good movie. Keep u guessing, and has a bit of a religious sense to it.
July 11, 2016
This film has gotten way to much credit from both critics and audiences. Terrible film.
July 1, 2016
A very simple, yet intriguing. I enjoyed how much this movie kept me on the edge of my seat and a plot twist much like the movie The Sixth Sense. Could have been better but I have definitely seen worse. 4 stars!
May 19, 2016
Simple and a bit silly, but well performed and well-intentioned in its morals, Devil is a surprisingly entertaining and effective thriller ride
½ May 8, 2016
Considering the whole film takes place in a lift, i actually thought it was pretty good. Keeps you guessing throughout.
½ April 29, 2016
Extremely entertaining, original, creepy, & the twist at the end will scare you 7/10
April 10, 2016
This was terrible, low budget, badly acted "scary" film with a twist ending but am ending that didn't matter.
March 13, 2016
What started as just a God-awful flick somehow managed to hook me. And not in a "Let's watch this ship wreck" giddy sort of way. More of a "Oh shit, call the Coast Guard" level of caring.
March 7, 2016
This movie scared the bejesus out of me!
March 1, 2016
Shyamalan's shine dims

What are you most afraid of? The stereotypical flesh eating zombie or a sadistic killer clown; a crazed mass murderer in a forgotten backwater town or something slightly more sinister... The Devil incarnate.

In a scenario designed to bring out your inner claustrophobe, the first of prolific writer M. Night Shyamalan's Night Chronicle series delivers once again his unique blend of fate verses free and supernatural punishment verses personal responsibility, making you question whether you will ever set foot in an elevator again.

On a seemingly normal day, five strangers enter a Philadelphia high rise elevator; A cocky mattress salesman (Geoffrey Arend), a racist old woman (Jenny O'Hara), a marine veteran turned mechanic with a chip on his shoulder (Logan Marshall-Green), a young trophy wife (Bojana Novakovic) and a claustrophobic temp security guard (Bokeem Woodbine).
20 floors up, they suddenly grind to a halt. Like any normal malfunctioning elevator situation, the monitoring security guards contact the building technician to investigate whilst attempting to calm and inform the trapped, however the two-way communication system is also malfunctioning.

Watching the monitors intently the guards notice the lights flickering and unexpectedly darkness falls. Without provocation, one of the trapped is attacked during the back-out. Left bleeding from an apparent bite mark, the groups' initial irritation turns to that of terror and the guards raise the alarm with local police.
Recovering from the trauma of his wife and child's callous hit-and-run death six month earlier, detective Bowden (Chris Messina) is in attendance within seconds. Already on scene dealing with what appears to be a seemingly unrelated homicide/suicide on the 35th floor, Bowden becomes suspicious as to whom he is helping on the inside.

Digging to find answers, Bowden discovers that contained within is an extortionist, a thief, a liar, a thug and a con artist. The escalating tension reaches a peak when the darkness falls again. As the lift lurches to light, the body count begins.

Perplexed as to why someone would choose a confined space, with no exit and four witnesses as their murder scene, Bowden can find no reasonable explanation and as the body count rises and the compounding tension reaches fever pitch, Bowden opens his mind to the highly superstitious security guards unreasonable answer; that one of their number is less human than they seem and the devil himself is in attendance.

Stylistically impressive the film begins with a striking upside down shot of Philadelphia harbor, however as the initial premise is introduced; that of a mother delivering a gruesome bedtime story about the devil and death, the subtle mood of discomfort leads into a predictable and trite conclusion.

Threatening, ominous and creepy, the Devil's main flaw is its lack ofsubstancal build-up. Overworked, underdeveloped, under defined and unrealized, audiences are relegated to the purgatory of boredom. The dramatically uniform style plays out as gimmicky goosebump-like missing link paying homage to a missing episode of twilight zone.

Although, the actors deliver strong performances; and even with an Australian amongst their number, they are helpless to save this flat movie. Messina's Bowden is the most vulnerable character, however as his character is never in any danger, viewer empathy is simply wasted.

The Verdict: As darkness and silence fall allowing our imaginations flex looking for that part of the mind that takes rational fears to irrational levels, I found myself bored. Wishing might against might I could put my hand into the screen and removed one of the glass shards for my own nefarious use; surely not the requited response Shyamalan would desire.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 10/12/2010
February 19, 2016
It's so bad it's cute.
February 15, 2016
Very good. Opening credits with upside down view of city rattled me from the start. Good stuff...
February 13, 2016
It's not really that scary of a movie but I liked the underlying message it was sending. I count it more like a thriller and I've watched it a few times now.
January 28, 2016
Yeah, it's Sham, but the trailer actually piqued my interest...but then I'd be giving him money...good point.
½ January 27, 2016
My sister actually didn't want to see the film as she says that it's stupid, and I agree with her as I seen this before, but I need to know how stupid it can be since I haven't seen it in a long time, and whether or not it's a guilty pleasure. Devil is still a stupid movie and is bad, but it's an enjoyably stupid movie that is a guilty pleasure to me which is rare to say for me. The acting is really good, but the at some moments where they acted a bit too silly. The writing can be good at times, but with a story like this that makes no sense at times, you can't make the writing less silly as it's going to be silly either way, especially when the story is by M. Night Shyamalan. There's a lot of unintentional hilarity moments, and there are actually some moments that are creepy. Seeing how this was criticized for its short running time and plot itself, it actually felt really rushed and really could've been more effective if it was longer. The characters are all right, but it's nice to hear about what their backstories are. I do like how there's speculations about who the devil is, and when it got to who the devil is, it's very surprising and really makes sense. The suspense is nicely done as you wouldn't have any idea about what's going on. There's a lot of stupid moments that don't make any sense, and the logic in this is not even close to realistic. Devil is better than the films that John Erick Dowdle directed, except for As Above So Below, heck, it's even better than some of M. Night Shyamalan's films, but Devil is still a dumb film that actually could've been better, but I was still entertained by it and would watch it again to give a good laugh here and there.
½ January 26, 2016
A nice, decent movie written by Shyamalan.
½ January 18, 2016
From the mind of M. Night Shyamalan comes an idea that probably had legs when he dreamt it. However, by the time his screenwriter and director shaped the final product into reality, all that was left was what felt like an overly long, inferior episode of "The Twilight Zone." There are obvious challenges when presenting a story where the action occurs in a very confined space. One way the makers of this film get around this is to shift some of the on-screen action to the office building's surveillance room, where others can see and speak to the people trapped inside of the elevator. Not a bad idea in itself. However, I found the ineptitude of the supposed rescuers to be distracting. One would think getting those folks out of the elevator was akin to climbing Everest. Watching the investigators and building employees race around without any clear or beneficial purpose drains the movie of its suspense. A couple of "accidents" that occur during the rescue efforts are just ridiculous. Then, there's the whole matter of character likability. The script doesn't give us a reason to care for any of the five trapped inside of the elevator. All of them are one-dimensionally drawn, obnoxious, liars - one of which happens to be the devil. Meanwhile, there's a sulking cop who has lost his family trading theories with a religious security guard who seems to have all the answers for what lies ahead. Of course the guard just foretells what is about to happen; no one is going to listen to that guy, he being such an accurate source of information and all. Duh. The screenplay throws a couple of red herrings in for good measure, but the central mystery should be visible to most viewers before it actually happens, complete with an unnecessarily tacked-on epilogue. My advice is to skip this one and find a movie that covers similar ground in a much more accomplished manner.
January 2, 2016
A good movie with a really good ending.
December 21, 2015
They had the perfect opportunity to call this movie "Hellevator" and they squandered it.
½ December 3, 2015
Although the writing and acting was mediocre, plus the ending was a bit sappy, this movie has some cool themes in it. It's not an awesome movie, but I do like it.