Devil - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Devil Reviews

October 3, 2016
The second movie in our 31 nights of horror, Devil was an interesting take on the "stuck in an elevator" trope. The cast was good, all of them solid actors with decent range' playing genuinely unlikable characters. I liked the build up, an intelligent use of cinematography, sound, and storytelling to create suspense. The ending has a twist that was somewhat unexpected and enjoyable. I really wish this movie was more frightening though. There were ample opportunities to scare the hell out of the viewer, yet Devil only took advantage of a few of these moments. I believe this movie could have been so much more chilling. 3 out of 5 stars.
September 16, 2016
This movie, I love it, cause when I was a little kid my mom use to tell us this and sure it seems like a typical horror movie but the movie has a nice plot and script.....
August 18, 2016
really entertaining from start to finish. loved it!!!
August 13, 2016
Not as bad as I expected it to be. Watchable although predictable.
½ August 8, 2016
Fast paced supernatural thriller that mostly delivers; some plot problems here and there but it has some scares and suspense.
½ August 8, 2016
Decent horror/mystery. I enjoyed it.
July 25, 2016
Really good movie. Keep u guessing, and has a bit of a religious sense to it.
July 11, 2016
This film has gotten way to much credit from both critics and audiences. Terrible film.
July 1, 2016
A very simple, yet intriguing. I enjoyed how much this movie kept me on the edge of my seat and a plot twist much like the movie The Sixth Sense. Could have been better but I have definitely seen worse. 4 stars!
May 19, 2016
Simple and a bit silly, but well performed and well-intentioned in its morals, Devil is a surprisingly entertaining and effective thriller ride
½ May 8, 2016
Considering the whole film takes place in a lift, i actually thought it was pretty good. Keeps you guessing throughout.
½ April 29, 2016
Extremely entertaining, original, creepy, & the twist at the end will scare you 7/10
April 10, 2016
This was terrible, low budget, badly acted "scary" film with a twist ending but am ending that didn't matter.
March 13, 2016
What started as just a God-awful flick somehow managed to hook me. And not in a "Let's watch this ship wreck" giddy sort of way. More of a "Oh shit, call the Coast Guard" level of caring.
March 7, 2016
This movie scared the bejesus out of me!
March 1, 2016
Shyamalan's shine dims

What are you most afraid of? The stereotypical flesh eating zombie or a sadistic killer clown; a crazed mass murderer in a forgotten backwater town or something slightly more sinister... The Devil incarnate.

In a scenario designed to bring out your inner claustrophobe, the first of prolific writer M. Night Shyamalan's Night Chronicle series delivers once again his unique blend of fate verses free and supernatural punishment verses personal responsibility, making you question whether you will ever set foot in an elevator again.

On a seemingly normal day, five strangers enter a Philadelphia high rise elevator; A cocky mattress salesman (Geoffrey Arend), a racist old woman (Jenny O'Hara), a marine veteran turned mechanic with a chip on his shoulder (Logan Marshall-Green), a young trophy wife (Bojana Novakovic) and a claustrophobic temp security guard (Bokeem Woodbine).
20 floors up, they suddenly grind to a halt. Like any normal malfunctioning elevator situation, the monitoring security guards contact the building technician to investigate whilst attempting to calm and inform the trapped, however the two-way communication system is also malfunctioning.

Watching the monitors intently the guards notice the lights flickering and unexpectedly darkness falls. Without provocation, one of the trapped is attacked during the back-out. Left bleeding from an apparent bite mark, the groups' initial irritation turns to that of terror and the guards raise the alarm with local police.
Recovering from the trauma of his wife and child's callous hit-and-run death six month earlier, detective Bowden (Chris Messina) is in attendance within seconds. Already on scene dealing with what appears to be a seemingly unrelated homicide/suicide on the 35th floor, Bowden becomes suspicious as to whom he is helping on the inside.

Digging to find answers, Bowden discovers that contained within is an extortionist, a thief, a liar, a thug and a con artist. The escalating tension reaches a peak when the darkness falls again. As the lift lurches to light, the body count begins.

Perplexed as to why someone would choose a confined space, with no exit and four witnesses as their murder scene, Bowden can find no reasonable explanation and as the body count rises and the compounding tension reaches fever pitch, Bowden opens his mind to the highly superstitious security guards unreasonable answer; that one of their number is less human than they seem and the devil himself is in attendance.

Stylistically impressive the film begins with a striking upside down shot of Philadelphia harbor, however as the initial premise is introduced; that of a mother delivering a gruesome bedtime story about the devil and death, the subtle mood of discomfort leads into a predictable and trite conclusion.

Threatening, ominous and creepy, the Devil's main flaw is its lack ofsubstancal build-up. Overworked, underdeveloped, under defined and unrealized, audiences are relegated to the purgatory of boredom. The dramatically uniform style plays out as gimmicky goosebump-like missing link paying homage to a missing episode of twilight zone.

Although, the actors deliver strong performances; and even with an Australian amongst their number, they are helpless to save this flat movie. Messina's Bowden is the most vulnerable character, however as his character is never in any danger, viewer empathy is simply wasted.

The Verdict: As darkness and silence fall allowing our imaginations flex looking for that part of the mind that takes rational fears to irrational levels, I found myself bored. Wishing might against might I could put my hand into the screen and removed one of the glass shards for my own nefarious use; surely not the requited response Shyamalan would desire.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 10/12/2010
February 19, 2016
It's so bad it's cute.
February 15, 2016
Very good. Opening credits with upside down view of city rattled me from the start. Good stuff...
February 13, 2016
It's not really that scary of a movie but I liked the underlying message it was sending. I count it more like a thriller and I've watched it a few times now.
January 28, 2016
Yeah, it's Sham, but the trailer actually piqued my interest...but then I'd be giving him money...good point.