When Harry Tries to Marry - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

When Harry Tries to Marry Reviews

½ July 13, 2013
Oh God, this movie is so bad!! There is nothing original or new about this. The acting is so appalling, it makes me ill!! All the actors stink and the Director must think he is the next Spielberg! Avoid all!!
½ June 8, 2013
It was such a waste of time. Poor acting and the ending was not an ending. The movie was not a movie, either.
June 7, 2012
Sweet, smart movie. Young Harry wants to avoid all the mistakes his parents made and aims for an arranged marriage to start his adult life with! The lead actor is charismatic and handsome and really carries the movie. I hope he makes more films!
May 12, 2012
This was an easy to watch rom-com. The ending wasn't perfect, but it was acceptable.
½ April 14, 2012
If this was played by Shahruhk Khan it would still be a bad film. So inconsequential that nothing is to be enjoyed or learned by the leads prattling and internal dialogue.
April 1, 2012
So much talk about wanting an arranged marriage.. the moment Theresa appeared at the start of the movie, the audience immediately know that she's the one. Simple story, predictable story.. but it's good to catch a (hollywood) glimpse of the Indian community in the States.
½ November 15, 2011
Alright. I think there were three people working on this movie that were really talented. The Cinematographer has some skill, and he really makes it look like a much better movie than it should be. The guy who plays Harry(Rahul Rai) is really likable, and I'd like to see him in something else. Same with the girl who plays Theresa, she's really cute, and she'd be great in something else. Finally the costume designer, normally I wouldn't mention something like that, however the rest of the movie is such a train wreck, I kept on noticing how great the costumes were.

That's where it ends. The script is a complete disaster, the dialogue feels wooden, and the plot just doesn't make sense. It feels like the movie really completely lost direction at around the 50 minute mark, so they did whatever they could to change it up: Make the dad have a pregnant girlfriend, Harry stays single, ect. Its almost like the screenwriter didn't even read the words out loud. It's funny I IMDB'd the director, and in his bio they note how "acting training is also what gave Nayan foundation to write characters and dialogue." This is the worst dialogue and characters I've seen in while.

Take the opening monologue for example. It was just jumbled exposition that really didn't make any sense. The dialogue somewhat reminded me of Starwars Episode 1. The script was so terrible that the actress playing Anakin's mom was able to pull it off. The kid who played Anakin just didn't have the skills, and so they thought he was a bad actor. The kid wasn't great, but the script was much worse.

The actors that play both Harry and Theresa are trying their best to deliver the lines, but I can just vision them on set wondering what the hell they're doing. I guess the only reason I kept watching is I liked both of them, and I was hoping they were in a better movie.

The script aside, it was just really poorly directed and edited. The shots, and how it was cut was just random. The last shot of them falling in the water was just dumb.

Now I figure that the director was going for a Bollywood style look, it just simply didn't work out. Anyone who would argue that it's just the style, is wrong. This movie is simply awful from the ground up. I've rarely written a review on this site, but as you can tell. This movie really annoyed me. I wouldn't doubt it if the five star reviews were from friends and family of people who worked on the film.

It being shot well somewhat annoys me, usually you can tell a bad movie by crappy cinematography.

The only reason I'm giving it two stars is because of the costumes were cute, and I really liked the lead actors. I just hated everything they said.
½ October 20, 2011
Cute little movie, disappointing ending.
½ October 13, 2011
I thought it was going to be good, but then it gives me a shitty ending. I expect very little out of the generic romantic comedy, you just have to follow a simple little formula. Don't tell me what I was expecting at the end of the film and then spit all over it by giving me a crap-tastic version where he tries to "find" himself, that just tells me you were lazy and he learned nothing!
August 4, 2011
I saw the film on iTunes last night. Really funny and sweet. I wanted to see why the critics bashed the film while the audience seems to love it. Anyway, my $3.99 on iTunes was well worth it. Some fresh talent, nice music and an unusual story. As a guy, this indie rom-com worked well with the genre and didn't make me squirm like many rom-coms do. The lead actress is also stunning, as is most of the cast of newcomers. The last film with an Indian theme that I really liked was Bend it Like Beckham which had Kiera Knightly in her first movie and this feels like another one of those star-birthing films. Check it out.
July 29, 2011
I saw this at Austin Film Festival. It thought it was cute as a button and it easily holds its own next to the big studio romantic comedies. I've been waiting for it to be available so my family can enjoy it too. Looking forward to seeing it again.
½ July 28, 2011
What gives? This is a fun film. I saw it in Austin and will see it again soon on Netflix. For those who want to know more it's a sweet little rom-com tinted with innocence that follows Harry a really bashful Indian bachelor with a self-inflicted dilemma: whether or not to engage in an arranged marriage. The old 'to-do or not-to-do' ain't so easy because Harry's plan is complicated by a sophisticated American named Theresa. He's trying hard not to have an eye for her but she, eh -- not so hard. It is a tale of sheer temptation, thrown at him from every direction and his desperate determination to stay on his flailing path.
½ May 6, 2011
I really enjoyed the movie!! Its well made, funny and made me come out of the theatre with smile on my face:) Go watch it!!!
May 6, 2011
I really liked this film. I'm surprised the reviews are so bad...it's actually a very enjoyable movie. The story is somewhat cliche but the overall idea and message of the film is something we all can relate to- who hasn't been in a situation where they've felt conflicted in one way or another...Bottom line is we have to make our own decisions and take responsibility for our own lives.
May 6, 2011
I really liked this movie. It deals with cross-cultural issues of arranged marriages and being Orthodox Jewish, I could relate to it (as did my husband). Check it out when it goes on Netflix or VOD. It's a feel good movie and the soundtrack is quite nice.
½ May 6, 2011
I saw the film in Kew Gardens and really enjoyed it. It's a cute and funny movie. Not sure why the critics are expecting something that it's not - this isn't some intellectual high-brow indie art house cinema, it's just a sweet rom-com. I really liked the colors and music too. Check it out.
May 6, 2011
I saw the film in Kew Gardens cinema and thought it was quite refreshing and very cute. Its a fun movie to watch.
May 1, 2011
I saw this movie and met some of the cast this week! What a sweet, funny movie - and the cast members could not have been nicer and more welcoming! I'm a fan of this movie now, I'm telling all my friends to see it.
April 28, 2011
I saw this movie this week. I like supporting independent films. It was great, much better than I was expecting! With small budget comedies (and I know because I tend to see a lot of independent film), you get some amusing moments but not real laughs. There are several real laughs in this movie. See it! :)