Ashes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ashes Reviews

November 20, 2016
it's on a cheap DVD compilation so I'll eventually watch it
½ February 15, 2014
Decent premise though it's very slow, and very unrewarding. The plot is rather basic but interesting while the characters are one dimensional. A few good scenes, but overall, the pacing kills it.
February 13, 2012
An offbeat and thrilling ride. Lots of little tempo shifts and a fresh execution will excite film junkies that aren't expecting much out of this flick. It reminds me a bit of a noirish/grindhouse/zombie thriller.

Great camerawork.

The acting feels amateurish, but at least it's good amateur acting. And there is absolutely nothing new about the plot line. In fact, it's a very simple plot.

So the acting and story are mediocre... how could this be a good movie? I don't know, but it is. I think it's the writer-director combo. The sidebars and tangent scenes are interesting (even though they are awkward and random at times). It's successful in making the story feel real through the mundane mechanics, which makes the tempo changes that much better.

Spoiler-ish:

There's a lot of foreplay, I hope there's a sequel. If you like build up, this is 80% buildup.