The Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Girl Reviews

½ February 22, 2013
The film spends too much time developing Hitchcock as a complete monster and Hedren as an innocent angel to be anything other than revolting and annoying. If you want to tackle a great artist like Alfred Hitchcock get a better writer.
December 10, 2012
While Hitchcock wasnt great, its a masterpiece compared to this, i like toby jones but he wasnt right to play hitchcock, hes too small and doesnt have the same presence, you also never see any other actors, or any other aspects of making marnie or the birds, just scenes with hitch and tippi, its slow and drawn out, i didnt like what they did with alma, go see hitchcock instead
December 2, 2012
Aside from Toby Jones spot on rendition of Hitchcock. This film lacked a soul. Pretty much like Tippi Hedren's flat, uninspired acting in the birds - so is the telling of this story from her life.
½ November 29, 2012
Jones & Miller are good but it just left me cold. HITCHCOCK with Anthony Hopkins will be the better film but Jones will probably be the better Hitch.
November 29, 2012
I like films about film-making ('The Bad and the Beautiful' is one of my favourites and I've always enjoyed 'RKO 281') and it is fun seeing how they recreat some of the shots and scenes from 'The Birds' and 'Marnie'. On top of this you have a great performance from Jones as Hitchcock. However I wasn't a fan of the one-sided story and the way Hitchcock the sadist and lecher was presented rather than the great film-maker. I can't bring myself to believe that he was as terrible and pathetic as this film makes out and it'd no surprise to learn that Hedren had a big say in the making of the film. Take the whole thing with a huge pinch of salt and enjoy the period feel but don't accept this as actual fact.
November 28, 2012
Hard to watch in places. Good acting but it left me feeling a bit short-changed
November 25, 2012
A look at the relationship between filmmaker Alfred Hitchcock and actress Tippi Hedren.
November 24, 2012
A great look into Alfred Hitchcock's obsession with Tippi Hedren during her filming the Birds and Marnie . Shows how creepy Hitchcock really was
November 24, 2012
If you're a Hitchcock fan, get ready to feel guilty. Because if you thought he was a cuddly guy with a gruff exterior, you're going to be shocked and disappointed. This film portrays him as borderline sociopathic in his treatment of Tippi Hedren. Really scary stuff.
November 23, 2012
If there is one constant in Hollywood, it's that the more famous you get, the more scandal you will attract. I wouldn't say this is because famous people or larger than life figures are more flawed or peculiar than those of us who live in relative anonymity. I think if any person's life and movements were scrutinized and followed the way that celebrities' are, dirt would be uncovered, a slip of the tongue would be blown out of proportion, or a choice of clothing would be cause for a tar and feathering. After all, we all have skeletons in our closets. All of us. Most of us just happen to have the great fortune of most of the world not really giving a crap what they are. Make no mistake about it, fame comes with a price, sometimes a grave one, literally. Think about the number of premature deaths fame has directly or indirectly caused.
Directors and artisans behind the scenes of the movies that make you smile are often able to navigate their lives in peace and even obscurity. People like Terrance Malick, the late Stanley Kubrick, and even Steven Spielberg lead intensely private lives, despite being easily recognizable and having achieved great commercial successes, staying out of the media and the spotlight except for brief moments to talk about their films, or, more often, the films of people they themselves admire. If fame was forced upon me, and I got to choose the type, this is the type of famous I would choose to be. Private, but present. Unfortunately, it's not always up to people in the entertainment industry how famous they get to be. Or how private.

Alfred Hitchcock's name will forever be synonymous with the word suspense to describe a type of film. His name will go down as one of the most revered, critically and commercially successful and respected filmmaking talents of all time. His films will endure, and as long as they do, there will be people who will write books, concoct theories, assemble documentaries and study his films in between the frames with a fine tooth comb in an effort to get to the bottom, or have a better understanding of the man's genius. As they do they will uncover his good side: His uncanny ability to visualize a sequence in his head and then match that to what will occur on screen. His understanding of the role an audience plays in how effective a movie will be. His dark sense of humour and dirty anecdotes. The way he is able to pull great performances out of his acting talent by making them feel at ease, or keeping them in a state of tired desperation, depending upon what the day's scenes will call for. And his dark side: The dichotomy of an apparent misogyny coupled with an almost idolizing worship of his barbie doll leading women. The reports of sexual harassment and cruelty toward some of these women, even with his wife of decades standing just off to the side of his director's chair. The dirty jokes and anecdotes that sometimes go too far, or are aimed at someone in particular with the intent to do harm. The tactics that have brought some of his actors and actresses close to breakdown or have incurred physical pain to goad an appropriate performance out of them. Yes, sometimes his good traits would turn into his bad ones at the tip of a hat. Sometimes he would get bored. Sometimes he would get mean.

But what the hell do I know? I'm going on the things I've read by people that could never hope to be as celebrated or as respected as the man they're writing about. People who probably know, as all journalists do, that a saucy story is many times more interesting than a plain one. People who may be jealous or bitter of this man's success and therefore feel a self righteous need to smear his name all over the pavement and bring him back down to earth with the rest of us working class folk, toiling in the muck for a day's wages. Or maybe they heard it from someone who heard it from someone who heard it from someone who knew someone who was on set that day. That's not called an inside source folks, that's a game called telephone. And the last time I played it, the words that came out of the first person's mouth, weren't the ones to come out of the last.

So don't believe everything you read. Take a scandal, if you must take it at all, with a grain of salt and take HBO's new TV movie The Girl, about the working relationship of Alfred Hitchcock and Tippie Hedron, as entertainment, rather than a fact in the book of life. I don't know what happened between these two on the sets of The Birds and Marnie, or whether it was as harrowing and as creepy as this well made film makes it out to be. And neither do you. What I do know is that Toby Jones is brilliant and jaw dropping as Hitch, making up in vocal delivery and body language what he lacks in appearance and height. And Sienna Miller is wonderful as Tippie, playing fraught and sexy with an equal measure of excellence. And it's just a good story. And that's all it needs to be.
November 22, 2012
The movie premise is certainly interesting, and the characters are well acted throughout, however, I concur with the review of Brian Tallerico, which stated that the film, "never finds a strong creative justification to exist.". This movie, while interesting, leaves you with an extremely small picture of a disturbed and desperate old man, and the ways in which he punishes those he has the ability to take advantage of.
November 19, 2012
Didn't really care for the story or how it was told. But, Toby Jones is fantastic as Alfred Hitchcock.
November 18, 2012
Though not the most interesting or climactic piece of cinema, Jones and Miller's performances as Hitchcock and Hedron make THE GIRL inspire a new look at Hitchcock's films "The Birds" and "Marnie".
November 18, 2012
How much of this was real? No idea, but it's definitely creepy and off-putting.
November 18, 2012
This was disappointing. The performances were good, and it is nicely shot, but there is nothing really driving the plot forward. It's just kind of one scene after another, so it gets pretty dull. Hopefully the Hopkins Hitchcock movie is a bit better.
½ November 17, 2012
A heavy-handed film that paints with broad brushstrokes. it paints the master of suspense as a very unlikable old pervert with many insecurities. The Hitch found in this film is quite monstrous. It's a pitch-dark (probably too dark if one must be honest), uncomfortable, challenging and disturbing film that I'm not sure is as accurate as it thinks it is. That said, while it really isn't all that good, at least it's interesting. I really didn't like it all. I'd say skip it and wait for Hitchcock.
½ November 16, 2012
The Girl especially is an interesting case. The film which stars Toby Jones (Infamous) as Hitchcock and Sienna Miller as Tippi Hedren chronicles their turbulent relationship during the filming the two movies they made together-- The Birds and Marnie. There's an old school adage that certainly rings true that Hitch discovered Hedren, a successful model, while watching a commercial featuring her. He chose her to come in for The Birds. He primped and trained the neophyte actress, molding her to become the next Grace Kelly. That's certainly stuff that's been well documented and considering Hitch's longtime regard for the then Princess of Monaco, a certain high compliment for the newcomer Hedren. The film, based on conjecture, stories told by Hedren, and who knows what else paint a tawdry portrait of Hitchcock. One that not just feels false but particularly pathetic. Jones, who matches the cadences and posture of filmmaker quite well is posited as a grotesque, nearly gargoyle-like creature. He's filmed as nearly a demented, sadistic toad, obsessing on the women he certainly could never have-- Imelda Staunton provides her usual finesse as Hitch's long-suffering wife Alma.

After molding Hedren into a movie star, Hitchcock, as seen through the shallow, flat prism of The Girl, is seen a beast. Whether through the telling of off-color limericks to Hedren, or falsely presenting scenes of The Birds. There's an ugly re-telling of a famous attack scene where Hitchcock forced Hedren to endure five days of being bombarded by live birds, after being assured that only mechanical birds and post production special effects would be used to for the shooting. There's certainly evidence that occurred, with the exception of the behind the scenes drama. The question that The Girl fails to really respond to, is why Hedren put up with it the first place. Why she continued work with a man who seemingly punished her for not accepting his sexual passes. Why she stayed afloat, with a brave, victim-like expression on her face when she felt so unhappy and marginalized. Whatever speculation of the Hitchcock\Hedren relationship will forever remain a mystery, since only one side can truly ever be explored, but The Girl seems to disingenuously present Hitch as such a loathsome cad, that it reeks of caricature, and is completely bereft of humanity on either side. Hedren is presented rather dully, and Miller's nonchalant portrayal lacks clear definition or insight. One wonders what counterpoints past Hitchcock blondes Kelly, Eva Marie Saint, Janet Leigh or Kim Novack might provide on the subject.

The Girl even fails on the seemingly easy-get on the fun it should have in recreating some of the classic moments of The Birds and Marnie, foregoing the simple revelry of old school Hollywood glee in favor of unsightly and broadly drawn melodrama. F
November 15, 2012
Great but harrowing.
November 14, 2012
Good expose' of sexual harassment in the good old days of the casting couch. It has nothing to do with the looks of the one doing the harassment, but rather the fact that sexual harassment, no matter how talented the person doing it, is never right, and that women have always been expected to put up with it, and been condemned to failure if they don't or accused of sleeping their way to the top if they do. Sexual harassment is wrong no matter who is doing it. Image fascism, as your super reviewer The Movie Waffler calls it, has nothing to do with it. Sexual harassment is morally wrong, whether the harasser is male or female, good looking or unattractive, a genius or a moron.
November 11, 2012
Wow, I had no idea that Hitchcock was.such a creep!