7 Days in Entebbe Reviews

• Jan 08, 2021

I'm old enough to vaguely remember the real hostage situation on which this movie is based. The mid-1970s seemed to be a time when there was a lot of this kind of terrorist attack, many centred on the fragile situation that continues to exist between Palestine and Israel. The events portrayed here take place in 1976 when German and Palestinian terrorists hijack an Air France plane en route from Tel Aviv to Paris. The plane was eventually diverted to Entebbe in Uganda then under the domination of the despotic Idi Amin. The movie is a pretty faithful telling of events but does lack some tension and sense of danger. Both the hijacking itself and the assault by a crack team of Israeli soldiers on the airport as they attempt to rescue the hostages should be heart-thumping incidents but they somehow feel a bit flat. It feels more watching a poor cable news network report than a dramatic reconstruction. Having said that, I do like the dramatic device of intercutting the story with a modern dance performance which works very well (there's a superb piece of dance at the the very end of the movie) and I also thought Rosamund Pike was well cast as one of the German hijackers.

• Jan 04, 2021

doesn't work -- you cannot run an action movie intertwined with a theatre musical. The most important part of the film is lost.

• Nov 05, 2020

In 1976 terrorists hijack an Air France flight from Tel-Aviv to Paris and force it to land in Entebbe in Uganda. Those that are held hostage are initially a mixed passenger list but after letting some groups go, it becomes clear that the terrorists are only concerned with holding the Jewish passengers. They agree to let them go, only if dozens of terrorists being held in Israel, Germany and Sweden are released. After some debate, the Israeli government agree they can not enter negotiations with terrorists and so plot a risky rescue plan that will involve heading into Uganda and not only taking on the terrorists but also the troops who are protecting them under the orders of Idi Amin. This started off as an interesting story because in most films of this nature the story is told from the perspective of the hostages rather than the terrorists but here we explore the reasons behind the terror and the ever lasting conflict between Israel and Palestine. Where the film fails is with story progression, it is such a slow slog and the dialogue scenes are so stilted, it feels like everyone has fallen asleep. It would also have been better to have given some sort of story to the passengers held hostage as here they are treated as nothing more than extras. Another sticking point is I have no idea what was going on with the dance recital. Maybe this was the director's attempt at making his film a little more arty but the action of the daring raid at the end is interspersed with scenes from the dance recital of one of the character's partners but it added absolutely nothing to the film. We get something similar playing over the credits too that didn't make a whole lot of sense. An interesting story with a well choreographed raid scene at the end but overall executed without any flair.

• Aug 06, 2020

I liked that it didn't take either side but gave a, 'just the facts ma'am', treatment. Lets one make up their own mind. also that it humanized all sides, which seem to be missing today. Especially on the side of the Israeli gov't in their treatment of the Palestinian civilians. Who are in the same boat the Israeli's were in, when Israeli freedom fighters were called terrorists by the Brits and the rest of the world... Best line of the movie was the PM's prophetic one "if we can't negotiate, this war will never end". Then emphasized by the graphics that tell of the PM's assassination and the fact that Israel is still refusing to negotiate over 40 years later with not much changing...

• Jun 24, 2020

It is slow moving, unfocused and spends way too much time one everything but the rescue attempt. A huge disappointment.

• Apr 22, 2020

An extraordinary story told in the worst way.

An extraordinary story told in the worst way.

• Apr 05, 2020

A little bit difficult, a movie need to think about it. With a similar age of "Munich", this one got more blow water sections, dialogs.

• Mar 09, 2020

I'm guessing that dance and song had a major impact on the director when he researched the material, but it just came across as forced and pretentious - much like the rest of the movie

• Jan 05, 2020

Girl didn't really fit to this and they should not film the task force so much.

Girl didn't really fit to this and they should not film the task force so much.

• Jan 01, 2020

I know it's an important story, but does it need to be told again ? My take, it's funded by political fundamentalists in their own right, to stay relevant. The irony of German weapons being used to terrorise Israelis has always amused me and I have no leanings, left or right.