8 Mile - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

8 Mile Reviews

Page 2 of 20067
September 8, 2016
Wow. Audiences didn't really like this film, huh? I don't see many thing wrong with it. It's not perfect, but I thought vit was good. The story is well-written, the acting is superb, and it really pulls your heartstrings. I love the struggle that Jimmy had to go through. I felt so bad for him. The character himself is also good. Eminem did pretty well for his first time acting. I also like the accurate portrayal of Detroit. This film made me feel even more bad for Eminem. The movie also powerful and very inspirational. I absolutely adore "Lose Yourself". You really get sucked into Jimmy's journey and you really want him to succeed and take his opportunity. The only problem I sort of have is that Jimmy and Alex's relationship felt a bit rushed, but it's not that bad. Powerful and emotional, 8 Mile is a pretty good triumph
August 29, 2016
The unofficial Eminem Biopic. Has good acting,but more of a cash-in to the rapper's success
½ August 9, 2016
Wasn't aware of this movie having such a low rating on this site! It honestly surprised me mostly because I very much enjoyed it and thought the glimpse into the life of residents of a trailer park in Detroit was something seldomly seen in Hollywood. Eminem gives a great performance and the ending never fails to remind why I became a fan of him in the first place.
July 19, 2016
Great interesting movie with Eminem. I love this movie!
½ July 15, 2016
8 mile is a film based on the beginning of the rap success of Eminem. It goes over the hardships of Marshall Mathers being a different race, his family life, and girl trouble. Eminem gives a very good performance as a character based on himself and the rap battles are very entertaining. Despite the film being mostly dialogue, it is still very entertaining and satisfying to watch.
½ June 22, 2016
Surprisingly good performance by Marshall Mathers in his first film (even though he is essentially playing himself in this biopic). Interesting look into the life of Eminem and how he got his start as a white rapper looking for respect in a primarily black industry. Battle rap performances were definitely the highlight. Kim Basinger as his mother also turns in a strong performance as well.
June 20, 2016
In the movie industry today, it's not uncommon to see a musical artist make his or her attempt at being a part of a film in some way or another. However, it's uncommon to see those films be worthwhile. With 8 Mile, however, we are treated to an emotional, uplifting, and well-acted story that follows a character that parallels Eminem, played by Eminem, and his everyday struggles in the slums of Detroit. The story here is one that is very familiar, and if you've ever watched a sports drama you've seen this in some form or another. So, in a few scenes, the things that happen are predictable. It's a flaw that the film almost can't help, but it's a flaw that can be overlooked thanks to the surprisingly impressive performance by Marshall Mathers (that's Eminem's real name, in case you don't know). Having grown up in the same environment that his character, Jimmy "Rabbit" Smith, suffers through in the film, he is able to deliver a hard-hitting, real performance that draws audiences into his character's difficult life. This is another thing the film does excellently: it provides an authentic, engrossing journey into the lives of the low-class city dwellers, one that is suitably depressing at times. It made me feel sorry for the characters portrayed in the movie, and it made me all the more thankful for the privileges I have in my life. And many aspects of the plot that seemed otherwise unimportant and unnecessary contribute to that atmosphere that the film sets up. The supporting cast in the movie is also strong, even though some performances were more memorable than others (Kim Basinger's was one of the biggest stand-outs). In the end, 8 Mile is a well-done film that provides an emotional journey into the life of a young man who is able to rise out of the shit-hole and achieve greatness. It's memorable, and it's a reminder as to why Eminem and rappers like him are respected in the ways they are.
June 19, 2016
Its got a relatable story and proves that Eminem can act.
June 11, 2016
Eminem drags us in to see a wonderful rapper surviving.
June 5, 2016
I've heard good things about this film, even if the white boy wants to rap to save his family or gain respect or something doesn't really appeal to me at first glance. I like his music from this movie, but beyond that, I've heard he's a decent actor. Now that he's no longer relevant in music, with no public persona that anyone cares about, maybe its time to appreciate this movie without all the hyped up baggage...
½ June 5, 2016
100403: Has its moments. A rather slow look at Eminem's beginning.
May 25, 2016
This movie was okay - it wan't too bad!
½ May 11, 2016
Good but could have took a little more risk like straight outta Compton but still amazing
April 21, 2016
LOSE YOURSLEF IN THE MUSIC T THE MOMENT,
U BETTER NEVER LET IT GO!
U ONLY GET ONE CHNCE TO SHOW,
THIS OPPURTUNITY COMES ONCE IN A LIFETIME YO!
April 4, 2016
this was a really good film each scene I watched I enjoyed
½ April 1, 2016
It's one of my favourite movie and it's a most see for rap fans
jamrcla
½ March 26, 2016
Well acted from Eminem, A really good gripping film that even people who don't like him would enjoy, Easily the best film by a rapper as the lead role.
½ March 21, 2016
8 Mile is about as far away from genre-changing or inventive as you can get, but it's, surprisingly, a worthwhile film. The film tells the familiar tale of an underdog living a hard life who rises to the occasion when faced with a life-changing challenge, but not without countless obstacles in his/her way. This time, instead of it being a shot at the heavyweight title (Rocky), or a shot at finally playing for a football team (Rudy), or coming from the slums to win millions on a game show (Slumdog Millionaire), the film covers the rise of an aspiring rapper. As you can see, this plot has been done countless times before, and is completely predictable for the most part; the ending is a nice change of pace, however, culminating in a tense rap battle that doesn't end quite as expected. Yet, somehow, the film retains resonance and impact. Much of that impact is likely due to the performances, all of which are really great. Director Curtis Hanson's direction is subtle and personal, and really allows you to become invested in this story and these characters. For a first time actor (excluding an appearance in The Wash), Eminem makes for a surprisingly compelling lead, with a lot of heart and soul put into his performance. It probably helps that the role is semi-biographical, so he's given plenty of inspiration to draw from. The other performance worth mentioning is Kim Basinger as B-Rabbit's mother, who manages to tread the line of being a loving mother and an exhausted mother. Brittany Murphy and Michael Shannon also co-star, and give good performances too. All in all, in spite of its familiarity, 8 Mile is a worthwhile watch for any Eminem fan, or rap fan, or fan of underdog stories. This tale has enough strong elements to make up for its narrative shortcomings. The climax alone is worth it.
½ February 29, 2016
Acting +
Story, i loved M's story arc on how he came from nothing, the problem i have is with the villain and there beaf with M. It very one dimensional. "I don't like you because you hurt my feeling" is what it felt like when I'm trying to watch a hard core movie I excepted the villain to be less butt hurt about life. So half star.
Editing/music, the way it was put together was not well paced in my opinion -
Kept interest +
Recommend, not to everyone, watch again or buy probably not -
Page 2 of 20067