976-EVIL Reviews

• Mar 28, 2018

very Kitchey...very 80's it captures WELL the 2 dimensional nature of our lives growing up in the 80s with NO contact with the outside world that we enjoy today via the internet...if you grew up in this era, you'll enjoy this flick at some level

• Nov 20, 2017

Worked on this, my family, supplied animals. Tarantulas scene, and raining fish scene, were fun to work on. Was cool getting to meet, and work with, Robert Englund. He was a great director, to work with. It was kind of scary, when the actress in the tarantula kitchen scene, had a breakdown. She was so freaked out, or into character. That the hundreds of tarantulas, freaked her out, so much she screamed, fer what seemed like half a hour, after Englund yelled cut. Even scarier then that, was my Dad who I worked with on this film. Called that number, during or after the filming. He started receiving, crazy phone calls after, and forbid us, from calling the number. My Dad finally, had to be hospitalized, due to, he lost his mind, started seeing evil everywhere, after calling that number. All I can say, is what he told us, don't call that number.

• Nov 04, 2017

All around awful. Everything about this flick is bad, and not a ‘so bad it’s good’ way. Not much happens for the first hour, and the plot line makes little sense. Weak acting, weak effects, and annoying characters. Disappointing that Robert England was involved in this train wreck, and that a sequel was made! The kind of movie you wonder who decided to spend money to make. Total SKIP.

• Oct 24, 2017

Very cheesy, very ridiculous. There's some elements that could be interesting, but this whole thing would work better as a short in an anthology.

• Oct 21, 2017

It was alright but not a film I'm going to remember in 2 days.

It was alright but not a film I'm going to remember in 2 days.

• Dec 23, 2016

Nice try mr Englund.

Nice try mr Englund.

• Jun 04, 2015

Guys...guys...9%? REALLY? I don't know how many of you people who read this comment are in the same situation I am, but I love 80s horror movies and I watched all of the best ones. There is not a single top 100 horror movies list that I haven't watched. I love old horror movies. I LOVE them. But there is one problem - after watching all the well known titles you're left with nothing to watch. This is the part when you begin to browse reviews, toplists, etc. looking for something worth watching. You end up watching crap most of the time. 1 in 10 movies found this way is "good". 1 in 30 is "great". 976-EVIL might not be a scary movie, but it is one of the best movies I found recently. TL;DR - for every 80s horror movie fan who ran out of movies to watch - this is one of the best less-known movies out there that you will like!

• Mar 08, 2015

An above average entry in 1980s American shlock horror. Robert Englund directs this somewhat slow moving yet often overlooked horror. Not as bad as many would have you believe and worth a look.

• Oct 25, 2014

Englund, working from a script by Rhet Topham and Brian Helgeland (!), has infused 976-Evil with an aggressively campy feel that immediately sets the viewer on edge, with the movie's eye-rollingly off-kilter vibe compounded by its proliferation of one-dimensional characters and surprisingly convoluted narrative. Equally problematic is Englund's decision to employ as incongruously slow and muddled a pace as one could possibly envision, as the excessively deliberate atmosphere effectively holds the viewer at arm's length and ensures that one can't help but wish that Englund would just get on with it already. The film's rampant quirkiness, which is never more evident than in Sandy Dennis' obnoxiously over-the-top turn as Hoax's religious aunt, proves instrumental in ultimately cementing 976-Evil's place as a hopelessly obnoxious piece of work, with the overblown third act paving the way for an anticlimactic finish that is, admittedly, right in line with everything leading up to it.

• Oct 15, 2014

With the popularity of the "Nightmare on Elm Street" films at an all-time high, it seemed only natural that Robert Englund would try his hand at directing. Unfortunately, his first effort "976-Evil" is a huge disappointment trying to cash in on the long-defunct premium phone services that were all the rage in the late 1980's. It's basically a pale imitation of Stephen King's "Carrie" and dozens of other similar films, with a bullied Stephen Geoffreys seeking revenge on his tormentors. The picture is light on horror for the first hour but heavy on "Elm Street"-like visuals which shouldn't surprise anyone considering who the director is. The problem, or at least one of them, is that Englund doesn't make much use of his single best asset, which is Geoffreys himself. The actor is naturally likable, especially playing these lovable nerds, but the screenplay insists on putting more of the focus on his vastly uninteresting cousin, played by Patrick O'Brien. The plot is also quite confused and vague, having something to do with a Satanic phone line and committing murder through Satan's guidance, but none of that is really made very clear. Still, it is the lackluster pacing that kills any chance that "976-Evil" had at being a successful film. Englund has a nice eye for detail, but his film is quite dull and forgettable where the horror elements are crammed into the final half hour. There's very little original or worth watching here.