9 Deaths of the Ninja - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

9 Deaths of the Ninja Reviews

½ November 23, 2015
Voi tätä kömpelyyttä. Voi tätä kökköyttä.
October 4, 2013
I was a kid an instantly was hypnotized to the tv "Sho" known for many ninja flicks was great as usual not a big budget box office smash but I knew that cause it only cost about $2.50 my favorite weekly B-movie theater. Not as good as return of the ninja but this one sorta like a A -Team feel an the lolly pop was kinda funny. Today I can see a lot of guys clowning this but at the time fitting era it came out in this genre was on fire but they were reaching big with this one I give it a thumbs up just cause it has Sho Kosugi
March 31, 2013
I am ashamed of watching and even owning this movie.
½ January 5, 2013
One of the most outrageously awful movies I have ever seen, in a "totally worth your time" kind of way.
½ October 7, 2012
Giving it half a star is probably being a bit kind to it. Hilariously bad, the sort of film you don't even need to be drunk to enjoy.
½ August 22, 2012
Thursday, August 16, 2012

(1985) 9 Deaths Of The Ninja
ACTION

According to RT "Meant to be a parody of the martial arts genre" but if that is what it's supposed to be then I must be missing something here because I thought it failed on all levels since the fights were badly staged that could use better sound effects when their aren't any except for the explosions etc... The plot is a dime-a-dozen which centers on some kidnapping of some English speaking tourists or Asian while riding on a bus somehwere along the Phillipine jungle and the terrorists who hijack it for a release of one terrorist hostage who also happens to be Phillipine terrorist who seems to be quite useless once release. A group of 3 (who are suppose to be the best)are sent to save them- one is of course Sho Kosugi (who was also credited for the martial art choreography) another is a mercenary who happens to be a Caucasion and a Cauacasion female whose supposed to be an expert on explosives. Oh, and one last thing some of the terrorists also include model-like Caucasion women. Actor Sho Kosugi's son also has a small part in this as one of the hostages. I probably counted at least 10 cringes on my forehead upon watching this.

1 out of 4
½ July 28, 2012
Chop socky (and schlocky) trash-fest that can evidently only be shown after 1am on telly in case anyone sensible might see it. Poor old Sho Kosugi got lumbered with some tat in his time but this one must take the biscuit. Mind you, I first saw it after several hours drinking and at the time felt it could rival "Citizen Kane" in the echelons of classic cinema. Theres a lesson here...
½ July 28, 2012
largely unwatchable beside a couple of interesting scenes
July 28, 2012
sho kosugi's 007 ninja film ..with midgets
April 11, 2012
Yeah, it was VERY cheesy, but fun!
May 15, 2011
After making the highly enjoyable Ninja trilogy for Cannon films (which includes "Enter the Ninja", "Revenge of the Ninja" and "Ninja III: The Domination"), Cannon and star Sho Kosugi parted ways as apparently Cannon had enough exploiting the Ninja craze they helped create in the early 1980s (though they would later return with the "American Ninja" series). Kosugi, however, was not and went on his own to produce a number of Ninja films without the Cannon banner. Did they live up to the endless entertainment value of his previous Ninja trilogy? Well....

Well Kosugi plays.... what else... a ninja. He is one of three members of an inept rescue force that is sent down to the Philippines to rescue some hostages taken by a psychotic invalid Nazi and his army of lesbian women. No, I am not making this shit up.

Kosugi and director Emmett Alston actually play this film as a tongue-in-cheek spoof of the Ninja film genre and to be honest I didn't dig this approach. I preferred the unintentional hilarity of Kosugi's Ninja trilogy as they took themselves seriously. I found this tongue-in-cheek approach to be, well, rather doltish. Instead of making me laugh, like they tried to, it made me cringe with horror at the moronic antics the film displayed.

The filmmakers throw everything in but the kitchen sink to see what sticks. We get a lesbian army, a Neanderthal man who can stop bullets with his hand and a crazed Nazi invalid who looks like a cross between Dr. Strangelove and David Cross's character from "Scary Movie 2". Hell we even get ninja midgets thrown into the mix! I however did enjoy the immensely cheesy opening titles sequence obviously influenced by James Bond with Kosugi training with his sword around women dancing. It has to be seen to be believed!

Despite the films moronic approach and cheap production values there is no denying Kosugi's fantastic martial arts skills. Even with his massive amounts of eyeliner (that surprisingly doesn't get washed off when training under waterfalls) he still has a captivating screen presence which can make even his worst Ninja films at least watchable.

Instead of unintentional laughs I got a moronic spoof of the ninja film genre and it just ends up coming out puerile. The golden rule is as long as Ninja films play it straight, they're funny but when they try to play if for laughs, they're annoying and "9 Deaths of the Ninja" is annoying. I can't say I didn't' get some enjoyment out of it, just not near to the extent of Kosugi's much more gratifying Ninja trilogy. So in final words did "9 Deaths of the Ninja" prove that Kosugi on his own could make just as 'good' Ninja films he did under the Cannon banner? Well that's a big fat NO and I recommend viewers wanting to see what Sho Kosugi has to offer to start with his Cannon outings first.
May 18, 2010
Bad movie lovers take note; the Crown International releasing should be a tip off. Sho Kosugi starts off loaded for bear & uses every weapon in his arsenal kicking a lot of ass...then the credits roll that has Kosugi in a pink room showing his sword skills while ballet dancers that look like rejects of Robert Palmers Addicted to Love dance around him w/ a very painful Take Me High by Ivy Violan playing. W/ what follows is Kosugi & his crew trying to thwart some terrorists (lead by a Nazi in a wheelchair w/ a monkey) who have hijacked a bus. It climaxes w/ ninja action between Sho Kosugi & the white ninja. Your enjoyment w/ this will depend on your tolerance for such rubbish but @ least I endured which is more then I can say for Leonard Maltin who once said in one of his review books that I used to have that he wouldn't waste his time reviewing garbage like this & 99 Women.
½ April 19, 2010
I love this movie. It is so bad, that's is good. It's over the top in its depiction Asian mysticism and martial arts. The whole movie screams cheap, but that is part of the charm. It has guns, ninjas, a nazi, and a ferocious lesbian. Not to mention martial art kids. It's so all over the map. A must watch for any bad movie night you might be planning.
August 29, 2009
Hilariously bad! Never laughed so much at such bad acting, dialogue, fighting, nonsensical storyline and baddies. Truly aweful!!!
May 30, 2009
It was A ok Action/Adventure movie, Very bad acting & story, The bad guys were very strange & stupiid & nuts on Crack, This movie as a Awsome title but it was waste of that great title.
½ November 1, 2008
I really could have used more of the mischievous Asian kid's antics. Lighting that guy's saggy blue undies on fire was pure genius.
September 15, 2008
not good or bad, typical 80 like ninja film.....
½ August 1, 2008
July 30, 2008
A laughable bad 80's film
July 19, 2008
Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome. I expected some laughs, but wow - awesome. None of it makes sense, the acting is terrible. Many sleazy lines and unnecessarily huge weapons by "Macho Man" the amercian sidekick. Main character is known as "lollipop" no continuity from one scene to another. As far as awesomely bad movies go, this is right up there with LowBlow