9 Star Hotel (Malon 9 Kochavim) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

9 Star Hotel (Malon 9 Kochavim) Reviews

June 22, 2015
Very bare-bones documentary on the life of Palestinians who work construction illegally in Israel. Their shed is their hotel. Not great and not limited to this border.
½ July 15, 2011
The story repeats over and over again. It is the reality you won't see behind the "holocaust" results.
½ January 15, 2011
At times it's so slow (to the point of almost being boring and mundane) and at times it is brilliantly moving ... Worth watching ... For the very reason that it's a tiny window that peaks into a world few of us can imagine ... But need to know exists ...
½ January 29, 2009
Real Palestinian construction workers illegally cross border into Israel. The young men live under terrible conditions but retain their humanity. Looks to be filmed with handheld camcorder. Not bad, but room for more drama/urgency considering the subject.
½ July 1, 2008
This movie was absolutely brilliant! It felt like a expose of an underclass of people (Palestinians), showing thier real and beautiful humanity, camaraderie, and moral strength in a life of destitute. It reminded me of the late 1800's photos of the underclass in NYC, exposing the raw inequalities in a society. This inequality, of course is helped perpetuated with American (my) Tax dollars. I saw this at the 1st Boston Palestinian Film Festival.
½ December 4, 2007
Documentary focusing on a group of Palestinians who have entered Israel and exist there illegaly in the hopes of scoring construction work. Has a somewhat unstructured feel, as if the filmmaker, having gained access, just let the camera roll and tried to fade into the background (so, there are no direct interviews or explanatory narratives; and no engineered tension). The men have built some ramshackle 'accommodations' in the hills, and we get to observe them there at night, as they cook, play cards, bond, talk, sing, admire the looks of a certain stern Israeli female customs officer, and wonder at their situation not with bitterness or self-pity, but with an acknowledgment that the world is ordered differently for different classes of people. By day, they execute complex stealth maneuvers to get to work, and if sucessfull, spend their time building quality accommodations destined for affluent Israelis. Throughout, they are the targets of constant police raids. The film is as apolitical as it can get, while clearly sympathetic to the men's plight (the 'men', I should add, are mostly about 20 years old); sadly poignant at the end.
½ December 2, 2007
An interesting trip along with a group of Palestinian construction workers sneaking into Israel to camp in the hills and look for work. Quite an engaging film.
October 24, 2007
Languges - Hebrew, Arabic
July 25, 2007
Powerful message, but the subjective editing made me lose trust in the filmmaker. Example: Shot of Pallestinians crossing a river trying to sneak into Israel. Cut to Israeli patrol vehicle travelling down a road. Cut to Pallestinians running into the woods. Cut back to Israeli patrol vehicle passing by the camera. All of the shots seemed to be from different locations at different times. None showed the Pallenstinians and Israeli's in the same frame. Although I have no doubt the danger and conflict exists, the filmmaker wasn't able to capture it well on film so he had to resort to creative editing. To me, he lost his documentary cred by doing this.
½ May 28, 2007
[font=Century Gothic]"9 Star Hotel" is a documentary about a group of Palestinian itinerant workers who illegally cross over from the West Bank into Israel to work on the building of a city. Like other migrant workers around the globe, there is little work at home and they make the hard journey to support their families at home.(Some even work two jobs or find other ways to supplement their income.) But here, there is also the spectre of the Arab-Israeli conflict hanging over them, along with the Security Wall on the horizon which will make their crossings nearly impossible. These workers live in makeshift dwellings, sometimes even sleeping in the open air, all the while keeping an eye out for Israeli patrols.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]What separates "9 Star Hotel" from other documentaries of its type is the level of access the filmmakers have with these men and the level of risk they take on themselves.(In a couple of sequences, it seems like the cameraman is running as hard as everybody else.) The movie is shot in a verite style, watching and listening to the men as they tell their individual stories without commenting. [/font]
May 24, 2007
i would do that to if i could lol, or if i had a democratic government
May 20, 2007
nah, all tht palistianan taliban crap creeps me out. i hate the way i can understand it even though it has no meaning to me. :(