9 to 5 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

9 to 5 Reviews

April 12, 2015
I thought this was fun, but there were points that it lagged a bit.
April 12, 2015
With The Other Woman coming out last year, and being a pretty bad movie at that, I can sense that this movie was a very obvious inspiration on that. Of course there's narrative differences, the women in the Other Woman are trying to get revenge on this guy who's sleeping with all of them behind the other's backs, whereas this film sees the women get revenge on their boss for being a sexist and ignorant idiot. The Other Woman, in spite of pretending it's all about female empowerment, was probably as sexist as they got to be honest. At the very least this film is about women being treated equally in the workplace, receiving the same pay as the men do for the same work. So even with the fact that this movie is almost 40 years old, it's as relevant as ever and will remain relevant as long as women keep getting treated unfairly for X or Y reason. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to see a remake one of these days. I think a sequel, while a good idea, would probably not be as successful. I think a mixture of the two would work well. With the three women in this film all raising daughters who are facing the same problems they faced in this movie. I think that'd work well and it would combine both elements. I thought this was a good movie really, with some really talented women as the leads in this film. Kinda surprising how good Dolly Parton was considering that this was her first major acting role. I don't wanna say she's a natural but she made the transition from singer to actress better than about 95% of people who've tried. She's just got a very charismatic presence and a great voice. Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda are both great here as well. So the film was pretty much perfectly cast as it relates to the leads. Of course, no story about a sexist, egotistical pig is complete without casting someone detestable in the role that knows how to play off of the three leads. Dabney Coleman is absolutely excellent here and he knows how to play this role to perfection. Good heroines are nothing without an equally dastardly villain to play off of. As I mentioned, all the lead roles in the film are perfectly cast and I cannot complain about that one bit. The writing is also good but, unsurprisingly, some of the dialogue is a little outdated. Which is understandable considering this movie was released in 1980, eight years before I was born. I thought the movie was funny, with the comedic highlight easily being the sequences where the women fantasize about what they would do to their boss if they had the chance. Dolly Parton's character had the best one of these, in my opinion. The film does have its very silly and sitcom-y moments, like everything that happens in the hospital after Lily's character believes she has accidentally poisoned her boss and caused his death. Lily Tomlin is great here and I think she sort of alleviates the silliness of it all. The movie does drag quite a bit after this hospital sequence and I think it definitely hurts the film. While overall I thought the film was fun, it certainly dragged heavily before they confined the villain to his house and the women showed that they can run a more effective office than the 'boss' can. Not much else to say really. This is still a very socially relevant film, in spite of all its silliness, it does bring to light some of the unfairness women face in the workplace, on top of everything else they have to go through, and it's the type of movie that would benefit from a modern update. Still this is a good and fun movie to watch, even if it is a little outdated. Solid Netflix watch.
April 9, 2015
They finally get back at the wonderfully dastardly Coleman and it's a bunch of fun to watch.
February 28, 2015
WOW.....WOW....WOW....WOW.....JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH A GREAT MOVIE 2 WATCH.....its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie.....I think that jane fonda, Dabney coleman, Elizabeth Wilson, dolly parton, lily tomlin, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this comedy movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.....its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie......WARNING YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE AS SOMETHING HAPPENS AT THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......I think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch, its got such a great cast throughout this movie.....man this is such an enjoyable comedy movie 2 watch,

The home of Franklin Hart is located at 10431 Bellagio Road in Bel-Air, Los Angeles, CA. The Consolidated offices were presumably in the Pacific Financial Center located at 800 W 6th Street, at South Flower Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017.

Theme song

Main article: 9 to 5 (Dolly Parton song)

The movie's theme song, "9 to 5", written and recorded by Parton, became one of her biggest hits of the decade. It went to number one for two weeks on the Billboard Hot 100, as well as the U.S. country singles charts, and was nominated for several awards, including the Academy Award for Best Song. It won the 1981 People's Choice Award for "Favorite Motion Picture Song", and two 1982 Grammy Awards: for "Country Song of the Year" and "Female Country Vocal of the Year" (it was nominated for four Grammys). Additionally, it was certified platinum by the RIAA.

At the same time, newcomer Sheena Easton was enjoying her first major hit in the UK with a song also titled "9 to 5". With the success of Parton's song, and to avoid confusion, Easton's record company renamed her recording "Morning Train (9 to 5)" for its North American release.

Television series

Main article: 9 to 5 (TV series)

The movie inspired a sitcom version which aired from 1982 to 1983 and from 1986 to 1988. The show, which aired on ABC (1982-83) and in first run syndication (1986-88), featured Parton's younger sister, Rachel Dennison, in Parton's role, and Rita Moreno and Valerie Curtin took over Tomlin and Fonda's roles, respectively. In the second version of the show, Sally Struthers replaced Moreno. A total of 85 episodes were filmed.

man this is such an enjoyable comedy movie 2 watch, its got such a great cast throughout this movie.....I think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch, its got such a good cast throughout this movie.....

The film concerns three working women living out their fantasies of getting even with, and their successful overthrow of, the company's autocratic, "sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot" boss.

9 to 5 was a hit, grossing over $3.9 million in its opening weekend in the U.S. and is the 20th highest-grossing comedy film. As a star vehicle for Parton -- already established as a successful singer and songwriter -- it launched her permanently into mainstream popular culture. Although a television series based on the film was less successful, a musical version of the film (also titled 9 to 5), with new songs written by Parton, opened on Broadway on April 30, 2009.

9 to 5 is number 74 on the American Film Institute's "100 Funniest Movies" and is rated "82% fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes.

man this is such an enjoyable comedy movie 2 watch......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......man this is such a really funny movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie......
½ November 9, 2014
***Due to the recent RT changes that have basically ruined my past reviews, I mostly only giving a rating rather than a full review.***
October 29, 2014
The film starts off promising enough, especially with great zingers delivered by Lily Tomlin, but evolves into mayhem. It's kind of easy to see where the script wasn't properly fleshed out before production started, and hence the third act of the film suffers. Jane Fonda has a more understated role here, but Lily Tomlin and Dolly Parton shine bright.
October 19, 2014
hadn't seen it in years. got a few good laughs out of it. sadly some of the things that the movie touched on like job sharing, daycare at the office, equal pay for women and flexible job schedules exists in only a scant few companies in the USA 34 years after this movie came out.
October 9, 2014
Great Ole Classic Comedy..Love It Lily, Dolly, and Jane
August 29, 2014
Pretty impressive when a movie is still hilarious 30+ years after it was made.
May 18, 2014
A story of working women who rebel against sexism on the job, full of comedy,
and a blockbuster cast of Dabney Coleman, Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, and the incredible Dolly Parton, who wrote and sang the title song, which became a big hit. Pure entertainment with a needed message addressing the worst and most harmful prejudice in human history.
April 19, 2014
Quite an interesting movie with some laugh on human behaviours working in a large corporation, and dealing with a chauvinist boss. THe ladies managed to deal with the boss using their brain, and worth to watch!
February 25, 2014
awsum love dabney lily jane, dolly classic fave, saw this in a movie theatre when i was little loved it then and love it now
½ January 1, 2014
"Nine To Five" is a comedy about 3 ladies (Judy, a new worker; Violet, a very efficient worker but never promoted; Doralee a secretary) working for Franklin Hart Jr, a boss with a lack of sympathy for its co-workers, especially to women. Those 3 ladies will one day reunite each other after a party and dream about how to "get rid" of their boss. However what the 3 characters don't know is that those dreams will somehow become true, and they will eventually need to kidnap the boss...
As far-fetched as it sounds, the story is actually rather well implemented and is rather funny. The depiction of the work environment and the unfairness to women is also a good premise.
½ October 17, 2013
A funny, feminist-friendly movie that deserves a 21st century remake.
August 15, 2013
The laughs are sparse until the plot gets going - about halfway through the film
June 27, 2013
I love it for the clear themes of how misogyny and slut shaming sucks. And Dolly Parton.
½ June 22, 2013
You know, I like the mash up of Fonda, Tomlin, and Parton I just wish the movie was as likable as they are.
½ May 6, 2013
Actually downgraded this - was worse than I remembered. The three leads are great and I liked the idea of the downtrodden office workers, but it goes too heavily into the revenge and becomes boring. I also hated the three revenge fantasies. Too long and pointless.
May 6, 2013
The play going around now in 2013, certainly lacks both the charm and the humor of the movie and focuses in on the raunch for humor. Would not recommend.