Howards End Reviews

• Jan 09, 2019

V clever, great performances and script.

V clever, great performances and script.

• Oct 08, 2018

this is one of those films I can watch over and over and not grow tired a bit! the characters' dialogue is written so tightly that you can't help but believe they have no other choice but to forge ahead with their class driven decisions. anthony hopkins is completely believable as someone who thinks he's truly doing the right thing from first to last...

• Jul 25, 2018

kind of long movie its ok

kind of long movie its ok

• Jul 20, 2018

A masterpiece of classic story telling.

A masterpiece of classic story telling.

• Jul 19, 2018

Work of art film, excellent acting, boring as hell

Work of art film, excellent acting, boring as hell

• Jul 07, 2018

Reviewed 7.4.18 Lots of pomp, but lacking in circumstance. It's Jane Austen without the romanticism. Downton Abbey without the soap opera drama. As a Merchant-Ivory presentation, of course the production values are top-notch, along with the acting. But 144 minutes of overly privileged white people finding things to bitch about grows tiresome. Sure, I just described an entire sub-genre of period films. But at least most others have something substantial at their core, be it a war, or deep-seeded matters of the heart. Instead Howard's End is built around the frivolous importance of its eponymous namesake. Samuel West as Leonard Bast, and Helena Bonham Carter as Helen Schlegel, add some juice to the staid proceedings. Yet they still feel underdeveloped, their lack of an in-depth back story is a missed opportunity. And lastly, if someones death is going to be the climax of a film, make sure its a dignified send off. In this case, it bordered on comical. I understand I'm going against the grain with this review. But just because it has quality individual parts, doesn't mean it equals a greater whole.

• Jun 10, 2018

I don't like period movies that much, especially if the period in question is the turn-of-the-century in England, but I recently watched "The remains of the day" and I enjoyed it a lot, so I've decided to watch this other Merchant-Ivory's work. I can say I am pretty disappointed. It didn't involve me in the least. This is how I expect "Downton abbey", and that's the reason I am not watching it. The film start slow and boring, improves in the second half but not enough to save it. Maybe what I liked the most from "The remains of the day" was Hopkins, and in this movie there was not enough of him.

• Apr 06, 2018

awesome character study

awesome character study

• Apr 05, 2018

This film's narrative has a hard time getting its footing at first, but when it finally finds its pace it truly runs with it well making for an engaging film with fine performances from its cast. However, one cannot excuse how it recklessly hurdles past random melodramatic moments that ultimately go unanswered for later as to why they needed to have occurred. Nonetheless, it is still a marvel of the costume period drama genre despite its flaws and is one of Merchant-Ivory's best productions.

• Feb 13, 2018

Look, Howards End is a competent, mildly intriguing Merchant Ivory production about the paranoia of the wealthy. Mostly though it's over 2 hours of proof as to why I don't and have no desire to watch Downton Abbey. Posh people have quietly regal discussions, a sudden outburst of drama temporarily disrupts the nobility, repeat.