A Christmas Carol - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Christmas Carol Reviews

December 12, 2015
This is NOT the film! It's actually an animated short for a half hour tv special, but with the original voices. I am so dying to see it. I wish they would put it with the movie, but the film is owned by a crappy distributor that has screwed it up for many years.
September 23, 2015
Very very good animated version of the classic here. Almost too good. It did have some amazing animation in it, and I was really caught up in it, but this film feels way too rushed in it's conclusion. A lot more time would have helped.
November 20, 2014
in my opinion the best Christmas Carol ever. Alistair simm was priceless as scrooge.
December 29, 2013
The 1971 cartoon works, which is miracle considering its short runtime.
½ December 23, 2013
This is a very short and somewhat rushed film. But OH THE ANIMATION. OH THE ACTORS. (Also one of the most accurate depictions of the novel.)
December 13, 2013
This is a sorely forgotten gem, created by Richard Williams and Chuck Jones. A television short, I was too young to recall its debut, but, throughout the 70s, it was shown in the afternoon during the holiday season. The animation is what sticks in my head, so vivid. Apparently, the primary animator, Ken Harris, adapted the look of the short on actual woodcuts used to accompany a late 19th century text of Dickens' tale, thus making this truly THE 19th century version ... so to speak. Alastair Sim, of the classic '51 British film, "Scrooge"/"A Christmas Carol" not only offers his voice to the character of Scrooge here, but plays it much more straight compared to the previous film (also, it doesn't hurt that he's much closer to the character's age, by this time). To this day, when I see this version, it's not just the visuals that draw me in, but the sound. It's as if the voices and clocks and such ... are in the room with you. I'd easily give 5 stars to this, but if I had one criticism, it'd be that it's just too incredibly short, which is a little sad, for such a beautifully dark version of Dickens.
December 19, 2009
May 28, 2009
Beautiful animated adaptation of Dickens's novel. The sketchy quality of the animation adds to the old-times feeling. Alastair Sim and Michael Hordern reprise their roles. Yet, they start over as if the characters are new to them.
March 4, 2009
The Best Version Ever.
½ February 18, 2009
This is not my favorite version, but it IS really good. Best version is the one made in 1938 with Reginald Owen as Scrooge.