A Constant Forge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Constant Forge Reviews

April 16, 2013
A must watch if like me you love the films of John Cassavetes.
JonathanHutchings
½ February 26, 2013
A good primer on the life and cinema of John Cassavetes, but it's largely a love letter and nothing more. For those who'd like some real insight into the Godfather of American Independent Film, check out Ray Carney's fantastic book "Cassavetes on Cassavetes." However, it should be noted that A Constant Forge does a commendable job of capturing the intrigue, wonder and fallibility of human beings that so fascinated Cassavetes and informed all of his work.
Harlequin68
½ November 16, 2011
"A Constant Forge" is a highly insightful documentary on the films of John Cassavetes, as told by friends, collaborators and admirers with some wonderful backstage footage thrown in for good measure.(Note to self: get around to watching "Faces" one of these decades.) Much light is shed on his process which combined a great deal of structured writing, prominent use of non-professional actors and on set improvisation to create a naturalism that was much at odds with the artifice of Hollywood. His style has inspired many a filmmaker since, some of whom sadly lacking the necessary sympathy towards their characters.

For better or for worse, "A Constant Forge" ends up mimicking the structure of a typical Cassavetes film in its rambling format.(To be fair, the documentary is much longer than an average Cassavetes film and is therefore perfect for a long train ride.) And even then, little information is given on Cassavetes' own life. He is born; emigrates from Greece at the age of 11; marries Gena Rowlands; makes a handful of movies and dies from cirrhosis of the liver. For example, I would have loved to have heard how he met Peter Falk and Ben Gazzara, two established actors by the time they started to act in his films.
½ April 27, 2011
because of its extreme length, i watched this over four sittings in a 6 month period. i think this might actually the best way to watch it. all of the narration is in cassavetes own words and its all pretty inspired/inspiring. in small doses, you could use this movie as a daily motivation tool. that being said, if you don't know cassavetes' stuff, this is probably of little interest to you.
½ February 7, 2011
Interesting but overlong
½ September 21, 2010
A good (if slightly excessive at 3hr 20m) documentary about Cassavetes.
May 22, 2010
Interesting and informative (even inspiring) documentary that avoids the trappings of a chronological framework, instead organizing its points thematically. Sure to incite many young filmmakers into sessions of furious note-taking. Myself included.
April 12, 2009
Indepth look of the life and works of John Cassavetes. It truly depicts the passion and love he had for his movies.
November 17, 2008
For anyone smack-dab in the middle of a John Cassavetes obsession.
½ November 16, 2008
Excellent. Seemingly aimless and meandering, yet somehow structured so that the 3+ hour running time seemed to go by in half the time. This made me want to go back to the Cassavetes films I liked to delve deeper and to revisit the ones I didn't to give them another shot (although I'll still probably sit on Opening Night for a while).
½ September 19, 2008
Fascinating, even at such a hefty running time. Aimlessly constructed, like a good sit-down with loved ones. Clued me in to how overlooked Cassavetes is as a screenwriter.
October 30, 2007
This is a relatively strong documentary. I think perhaps I give it extra marks simply because it is about a director whose work I greatly admire -- John Cassavetes. This documentary shows a strong passion for Cassavetes' work, and part of that is driven by the loving words and stories that his closest collaborators (Gena Rowlands, Peter Falk, Seymous Cassel, Ben Gazzara...) share with us in lengthy interviews.

At 3 hours 20 minutes, this documentary could use some trimming. The structure is a little too loose and meandering for my taste, but we do come away enlightened and given a new sense of love for Cassavetes' work. I would have liked to see more visual material of Cassavetes. There is some fantastic stuff out there which really shows what kind of a person he was. His fantastic interview alongside Gazzara and Falk on The Dick Cavett Show is a good example of this. His personality really shines through. I did enjoy how the documentary was, in a way, narrated posthumously by Cassavetes himself, as it makes great use of extensive audio interviews that were conducted with him (many of which are reproduced on the Criterion DVDs).
½ October 28, 2007
Great documentary on Cassavetes, includes interviews with him and the people that knew him.
½ August 28, 2007
long long fucking long
August 16, 2007
John Keefer just got an erection looking at this movie rating, and I hate him for it.
July 1, 2007
Actors, wanna-be directors, and any one interested in making film should watch.
½ June 28, 2007
Overly sentimental like Ray Carney warned us. Too much time spent on rhythm as opposed to exploring the depth of the work.
June 20, 2007
Three hours is long for a documentary but it was interesting. How else would I ever be able to guess that Cassavettes's favorite director was Frank Capra?
December 21, 2006
I know it isn't a film by him, but it is one of the best documentary about a director I have ever seen.