A Painted House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Painted House Reviews

½ February 14, 2014
Nice Hallmark movie. A little slow...
½ October 19, 2012
There's always somebody that has life harder than us, and we never stop complaining.
Scott Glenn is unbelievable in this performance.
July 22, 2011
Not as good as the book...
½ July 30, 2009
A pretty good adaption of John Grisham's novel. We need a movie like this to keep us reminded that we have it good, not long ago it wasn't so good.
½ July 16, 2009
decent, for a halmark movie, this is the kid that playing Percy Jackson?
June 14, 2009
It was ok, worth a watch if your really bored.
June 14, 2009
When I started watching it I have to say it looked so dumb but it turned out to be a pretty good movie.
December 21, 2008
Perhaps sometimes, we forget, with our plush life and current definition of "poverty", what things were like for rural "working poor" even as recently as the 50's. Survival, even for a man who owned the land, took a different strength of character. Is it good, or is it regretful those times have passed? More money yes, but were better times up North in the auto plants? I suppose, but this is nostalgia, and not bad either.

It was a good family movie, narrated like the Waltons, I kept waiting for "goodnight Luke-boy". Yah, Little House on the Prairie too, a bit more reality, but did other commenters really expect this to be as complete as the book, any book? Personally, I'm tired of hearing book-readers whine about "what they left out". Don't watch movies if you read the book.

This is certainly wandering reminiscences, but that's another type of literature too, isn't it? Why does every story have to be going somewhere special? To me it's a pretty good coming of age movie and worth the hour and a half at least, and always a pleasure watching Scott Glenn, when he gets good parts.
October 25, 2008
u can tell it was based on a book but not a whole lot happens in this...i mean it does but theres no climax or huge ending..it s a pretty simple story...very good acting esp with the young lead...also nice to see john grisham write something that was nt a courtroom drama.
June 2, 2008
I forgot I'd seen this movie until I read the book.
½ March 6, 2008
There isn't really a story here. I kept thinking something was going to happen that would spark the story but it never comes. Is it about the young kid crushing on the girl in the river? Nope. A twister comes, is it about that? Nope. The kid witnesses a murder, is that it? Nope. The ginger getting pregnant? Nope. It's a bunch of random scenes. It's not even about the house painting which is only done in the last 10 minutes of the movie. For all that, I watched it to the end so there was obviously something intriguing about it. Maybe I was just holding out to see what the point of the whole thing was.
½ March 2, 2008
This cast was disastrously chosen, made worse only by their collectively pathetic lack of any acting ability. This was a good book that found a slaughter house on its way to the theater.
December 29, 2007
The book is much better of course, but the movie is not that bad either.
December 6, 2007
John Grisham's Novel
½ October 28, 2007
An emotional adaptation...
½ October 23, 2007
An amazing coming of age story that is touching and impressive.
October 6, 2007
Remember the character actor with nasty toothy grin from The Wild Bunch, El Topo and Three Amigos... that is Alfonso Arau who is also the director of not only this film but also several other fantastic films, including: Like Water For Chocolate and A Walk in the Clouds. He gets really good performances from his actors and in the case of A Painted House from the always enjoyable Scott Glenn (his silence shouts) as well as Logan Lerman (3:10 to Yuma) and Audrey Marie Anderson (The Unit). Sentimental as heck but a very enjoyable visit.
½ September 28, 2007
This movie is absolutely amazing. The acting is great (I was extremely impressed with Logan Lerman) and the story is touching. I never thought I'd say this about a movie about cotton farmers, but I loved it.
August 31, 2007
I read the book during the summer n i found that it was a very nice story.John Grisham is a fantastic writter n i hoping that the film is as good asthe book.Well hope i see it soon.I plan on watching all the movies based on John Grisham books b/c he's like the best writter ever.:)
August 18, 2007
I haven't read the book yet, because the story doesn't seem that exciting. Hopefully I'll be able to view this one day.