propos de Nice (Nizza) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

propos de Nice (Nizza) Reviews

September 21, 2015
I finally had a change to watch the remaining films by French anarchist Jean Vigo, which came in a set with L'Atalante. Each gives a slightly different idea of who the man is or could have been. A Propos de Nice is a short documentary showing the difference in life between the classes in Nice, France in the early 30's. It is a well show film that it worth the short running time.
June 13, 2015
This first film from the acclaimed Jean Vigo is a 25min short documentary that captures life as he perceives it. The film was co-directed by Boris Kaufman who was the brother of the well known Dziga Vertov who directed "Man with a Movie Camera". It is stylistic and interesting. Worth checking out for film buffs.
½ September 14, 2014
A closer look at a wealthy town in France. Silent documentary I suppose. Cool imagery...
½ October 21, 2013
Interesting short with some great shots of nice and some interesting but half-formed ideas, obviously experimenting with styles. Worth a look.
December 5, 2012
A film that displays a society wrapped up in entertainment and exhibitionism while intermixing elements of surrealism to also expose a cultural divide. Also seeing the French fashion during this time is always fun.
November 2, 2012
Video of Nice, the shore, palm trees, and preparation for a festival. As it progresses into it's 20 minute time it starts to make the occasional comment on the wealthy through its shots.

There were some neat camera moves here and some interesting scenery, but overall, I have never really enjoyed these early views of a city type films. It is difficult for me to enjoy too much a movie with no attempt at a plot.
August 2, 2012
I have not yet seen Jean Vigo's other work, but probably before anyone will ever read this I will have seen his other shorts and if course "L'atalante". I feel "L'atalante" might end up being my favorite film, but I don't know. Anyway, these are just my thoughts after viewing "? Propos de Nice". It is my favorite short film ever, as of now. Even pushing out "Un Chien Andalou", which I adore so much. But, this film gives me a heart wrenching sense of life and happiness like no other film has. It is odd to say that about a film that was over so quickly, but I just love everything this film did. I felt like I understood it too well, more than even it knows itself. It is constantly beautiful, and it gets only better.
July 22, 2012
Playful and fun--engaging due largely to Vigo's quirky use of the camera.
May 4, 2012
A propos de Nice is so many things: fresh, playful, naughty, funny, abashed... In Boris Kaufmann's hands, the city of Nice becomes lyrical. If you can give up the idea of narrative and give in to its visual rhythms, this film is a very pure kind of delight.
January 8, 2012
Jean Vigo first film of any kind was the short 25 minute long propos de Nice which is a documentary, or a montage full of images of the daily life in the southern French city named Nice. All that you can think of that might happened in Nice. The upper class people playing Tennis, some poor children in the street looking up on a carnival parade. It's is a pretty OK documentary though it might get a little boring sometimes. But still an interesting piece of documentary film making with some good shots.
December 15, 2011
3: A nice little satire with some inventive camerawork, juxtaposition, editing, framing, etc. It looks amazingly crisp on Criterion's Blu-Ray release. I think this is the first silent era travelogue, of sorts, that I've seen.
½ November 20, 2011
This film reminds me of Dziga Vertov's "The Man With a Movie Camera" in that it's simply a montage of images of the everyday and the mundane but shot and edited together to form something beautiful. Only instead of the Russian industrial complex, the setting this time around is a leisurely coastal town. Though I personally prefer the Vertov film, Vigo's film has more humor, playfulness and naughtiness to go with the beauty.
November 9, 2011
Jean Vigo's first film is a travelogue that employs many camera techniques, hard to believe this was his first film experience, to portray many satirical montages and support his personality and beliefs. The sense of everyday life and routine are captured in a way that makes them both mundane yet purposeful while having a social viewpoint. A prime example is the way the rich try to maintain composure and come off nervously and stiff, meanwhile the poor children could give a damn and so come off natural and composed. Truly a work of art and a beautiful film. Essential watching for all cinephiles!
November 6, 2011
This is basically a student film. It is not very interesting. It is just a look at Nice in 1930. Sure, he wasn't a fan of the wealthy, and it shows. That does not make it a good film. This does have a place in film history, but that also does not qualify it as a solid piece of entertainment.
October 25, 2011
The brilliance here is the capture of simple life. There's no story, no script, and no need for them because this is simply Vigo using his camera to show glimpses of humanity. Thoroughly enjoyable.
October 23, 2011
A odd little travelogue/documentary. Fascinating, funny, and not a little biting.
September 11, 2011
No narrative story...just a montage of beach-side activities at Nice, plus a few delightful bits of surrealism (wow, that flash of nudity was a surprise). A young filmmaker could learn more about pace and editing from watching this short than from reading a whole textbook.

If Jean Vigo were alive today, I think he'd have a few "upskirt photo" websites bookmarked.
½ May 21, 2011
Great filmography... but very odd.