A Real Friend (Películas para no dormir: Adivina quién soy) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Real Friend (Películas para no dormir: Adivina quién soy) Reviews

½ February 24, 2014
Not exactly terrifying, but instead an interesting movie about a young girl and her imaginary friends. However, more is going on than we initially realize... Fantastic ending that really made the whole thing the first decent entry in this series.
½ November 26, 2013
Another in the Films to Keep You Awake series. Well-written, very enjoyable, not a horror tho.
½ October 24, 2013
This movie has a cool premise (young, lonely girl befriends classic horror monsters), however, the movie's ending is maybe a little too ambiguous, as it leaves us with lots of unanswered questions.....
bbcfloridabound
February 14, 2012
This is an excellent movie from Spain, Very enjoyable, not really a true horror movie, but a good story about a young girl with a very large imagination. Neat to see leather face (Texas Chainsaw) in a different role, as her protector, A number of other monsters make fast appearances, Worth 4 stars
½ November 9, 2010
A Real Friend tells the story of a lonely horror movie obsessed girl who befriends a man who she thinks is a vampire but, may actually be more of a real life monster.Spanish flick isn't very scary or suspenseful but the story is still told well enough to keep the viewer interested until a somewhat bewildering conclusion.
August 22, 2010
(****): Thumbs Up

This is another great entry in the 6 Films to Keep You Awake set. It was tense, well-directed and acted and as a horror fan, I loved it. Definitely worth a look.
½ June 12, 2010
Fun movie that is sure to entertain any horror fan. It was interesting seeing Leatherface and Nosferatu appear in a Spanish film.
½ June 6, 2010
Intriguing for sure, but I'm still scratching my head over it!
½ January 16, 2010
Not really a horror movie per se, but it has all the elements. It was very interesting to see Leatherface as the good guy in all of this. But this movie is more of a morality story with the message being, do you know what your kids are watching. You kind of get the idea of the preaching but it gets hammered home at the very end. Interesting story that has some originality to it.
December 3, 2009
I like the premise of turning classic horror monsters into adorable imaginary friends, but like most horror movies turned out the last few years, the film had to have a twist ending that ruined whatever was good about the movie. Instead of ranting, let me just say that it's a good movie to watch, but I highly recommend you stop the movie before the ending and make up your own.
October 17, 2009
A good movie with an interesting ending
½ July 30, 2009
The stupid ending kills an average movie.
½ July 16, 2009
LETTERBOX. Logra crear una buena atmósfera y cuenta con buenas actuaciones, pero todo conduce a un final decepcionante aunque predecible. / Manages to create a good atmosphere and has good performances, but all leads to an ending both disappointing and predictable.
May 27, 2009
It had an interesting premise and I thought it was going to be kind of odd especially when the young girl starts hanging out with Leatherface. Despite that, it started to get kind of boring and the conclusion seemed kind of thrown together.
½ April 24, 2009
How can a film with an hour-and-ten minute running length manage to be as boring and pointless as a Michael Cimino film?

"A Real Friend" compounds its tedious storytelling by managing to be the most derivative horror film I've ever seen - "Friend" borrows elements from David Lynch, Tobe Hooper, Wes Craven, John Carpenter, and even, God help us, Richard Kelly in telling the story of Estrella, an introverted young girl who loses herself in darkly imaginative flights of fancy with her only "real friend," a direct rip-off of Leatherface from "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" films.

If the movie focused exclusively on Estrella, "Friend" would have been merely unoriginal and boring. Instead, though, it spins out of control, telling the story of Estrella's unlikable whore mother; a portly, ineffective hitman; a mysterious "vampire" Estrella unwisely befriends; Estrella's idiot teacher; and a bizarre, recurring clown who pops up at weird times.
March 15, 2009
OHO jopa 18 kayttajaa oli antanut tahtia talle ennen minua. Tassa on malliesimerkki siita, etta vaikka aina haukunkin jenkkikauhua ja kehun eurooppalaista ja aasialaista niin osaa ne tehda huonoja kauhuleffoja jenkkilan ulkopuolellakin. Leffassa ala-aste ikainen tytto on kauhuleffafani, mutta pelkaa katsoa niita. Sen takia han luokin kauhuleffojen hahmoista itselleen mielikuvitusystavia jotka sitten puolustaa hanta esim. Leatherface Texasin moottorisaha murhaajasta. Eraana paivana han tutustuu vampyyriin, mutta onko han todellinen vai mielikuvitushenkilo? että semmonen idea ja minä menin vielä katsomaan taman. en suosittelen kelleen tammosta vaikkei se aikaa vieny kuin n.70min, mutta silti
½ March 1, 2009
A short Spanish film, originally a part of a series of short films called Films to Keep You Awake. This is the only film Ive seen of this series and I can honestly say I'm not interested in the watching any of the other films after watching this one. I found most of this film to be confusing and rather tedious. Its one of these attempts at a subtle surreal horror filled which results in it being not scary at all and hardly a horror film. If it wasn't for one supernatural part of the movie it would be more of a boring thriller movie.

I found the story to be quite intriguing: A damaged mother who has an addiction to sleeping about is the single parent to a young girl. The young girl is a outcast in school and big horror fan, often imagining the monsters of famous films as her friends who accompany her and protect her. In particular Leatherface and Nosveratu repeatedly turn up. Then she makes friends with a strange man who she insists is a vampire. This "vampire" is also being followed by a another man.

Despite the somewhat interesting story the film is mainly just dull. Far too much suspense and scenes of people watching other people and nothing ever gets explained. One example is a clown that appears quickly appears once or twice at different points in the film for no reason. Maybe its supposed to be the clown from Stephen King's IT? And its another of the little girls make believe monster friends? I don't know...

The only part I liked was right at the end when things go crazy even though it made everything even more confusing.

Hardly a "Films to Keep You Awake", its more of a film to make you confused and irritated.
½ January 1, 2009
Not a great film, fun but a bit of a mess. This film, essentially is some sort of bizare message about the dangers of lack of parental oversight and also some sort of statement about how it can destroy a child, but it then looks like a positive film about a child that is in some form of abuse and eventually victors. Very messy to be honest, but well directed to say the least, considering everything here, he got it out all right.
September 29, 2008
Manages to waste all the goodwill it garners in the first half introducing us to a young girl who loves monster movies by throwing a silly twist into the end.

Possibly worth a rental, but don't be surprised if it goes to shit in the last reel.