A Single Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Single Girl Reviews

January 11, 2012
1: Pretty much a waste of time, even if it does star Virginie Ledoyen, who is always a welcome addition on screen. I'm a bit unclear on what exactly the point was, other than to follow a girl through a break-up with her boyfriend, on her first day on the job at a hotel, and walking with her mother and child (fathered by the boyfriend). At first the very brief unsimulated sex scene seemed out of place and unnecessary to me, but I actually thought it made sense. It was startling to us, just as it would have been to Virginie's character. This was the only element in the film that made it somewhat unusual though. It simply seems like a bit of cinema verite, but with no clear goal or purpose. Life is hard, love is hard, persevere and move on? Maybe, but whatever the purpose is it wasn't terribly entertaining, inspiring, thought-provoking, artistically done, or worthwhile.
November 10, 2008
Solid tribute to the French New Wave, without the formal inventiveness, but with some solid performances and writing. Fairly enthralling.
September 14, 2008
An earlier stubborn role for Virginie Ledoyen which became a trade mark off her career going on hereafter.
½ September 1, 2008
I really liked this movie
July 13, 2008
..ledoyen es lo maximo... con mucha estetica y con demasiada veracidad
½ December 25, 2007
Superb character study. Been meaning to see it for a while.
October 2, 2007
This is probably the only favorite starring Virginie Ledoyen, a.k.a. the eventual co-star in "The Beach." I thought the real time plot development is intriguing, given what one Parisian young adult have to do concerning the rest of her life. Quite involving, in an intense sort of way.
July 29, 2007
An eloquent character study presented to us in real time, engaging the viewer by way of Jacquot's subtle exploration of subject matter and Virginie Ledoyen's undeniable beauty and energy on screen.
terris85017
May 17, 2007
"La Fille Seule" French film with English subtitles (Oct. 1996 Director: Benoit Jacquot) French movie...i just rented this move from Netflix....EVER HAD ONE OF THOSE DAYS??? Aye yai yai!! Poor, beautiful little Valerie (Virginie Ledoyen) in this story not only has a rugged first day at her new job in a quality hotel as a room service servant (in full tux!) But before staring her new job Valerie tells her boyfriend she is pregnant with his child, Right off the bat, there is trouble! Rude sexually harrassing co-worker first calls her a "little slut" as he comes on to her when she is a patron's room delivering breakfast...then just moments later imposes himself right behind her..and asks her, "Do you like it doggy style?" To which she responds by slapping his face (Go Valerie!!)

Touching tale of real woman issues....I enjoyed this film! it is so extreme you could almost see it as a farce..if the subject matter were not so serious!
Magnifique!
December 9, 2006
Yeah, i'd like to see this, i think!
September 28, 2006
This looks really crap.
September 5, 2006
not bad but closer to bad than good