A Thousand Words - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Thousand Words Reviews

April 15, 2017
Eddie Murphy is fine in this, i like the premise... it's the third act
March 25, 2017
After many awful reviews, i must say i was not really looking forward to this Eddy Murphy opus. Well let me tell you, sure the film is not a masterpiece and double sure it's not Eddy Murphy's best vintage but this film has a very strong and beautiful message at it's core. The story is very symbolic and the ones who regularly flirt with spirituality will inevitably hear and see the signs. Inner peace, listening to the voice inside, planting roots in your garden, be truthful and above all, learn to forgive to move on. I can't imagine why the reviews were so negative, it's a nicely shot film, bathed in a beautiful golden light, the story holds itself quite well, the film has a few cliches for sure and some scenes would have gained in emotion with a less heavy handed touch. Nevertheless, with a few heartwarming scenes, some silliness, an Eddy Murphy 'over the top' as usual, the film managed to somehow work for me. I had a very fun time watching it and really enjoyed the spiritual message distilled throughout the film.
January 31, 2017
Great movie, don't know why it had so much bad reviews.
January 28, 2017
A lame comedy that was Razzie worthy. It didn't win any, but it deserved to. A low point for Eddie Murphy. (First and only viewing - 9/30/2012)
½ January 10, 2017
Not a good movie to watch
½ January 4, 2017
People are way too negative, especially critics. I loved this movie. Eddie Murphy back in force. I am so happy I found it... it made me feel good, and sometimes that's all we need from a movie.
September 14, 2016
I could watch this movie so many times and never tire of it. It's akin to the new Kevin Spacey movie Nine Lives. Both movies are underrated, give a clean laugh, and sometimes, if you're emotional, can cause you to shed a few tears, whereas films like Sausage Party are overflowing with sexual innuendo and hailed as one of the greatest films of all time, which is an overstatement. True, A Thousand Words may not have an original theme and recycled jokes, but it is, in a way, traditional. Many people will not like this movie, and I couldn't give two shits. It's still a cute movie packed with dry, slapstick humor and features a legend just having fun with his role. At least Eddie Murphy is still alive and isn't drugged and drunk out of his mind like many actors today.
½ August 25, 2016
Don't watch this movie if you're looking for a comedy because it is not a Funny, there is really no joke on this film, the story is horrible and makes you want to stop watching this film 30 or 40 minutes in to the film when the film is about 1 Hr 30 Mins long and the acting was terrible. This was one of Eddie Murphy's dark performance he has done. Do not waste your time with this movie. I give this movie a 4%
½ July 31, 2016
The movie wasn't *awful* , per say. The biggest question I had during the whole movie was why he didn't just write "Hello, I have taken a vow of silence. " on a piece of paper and stick it on him. Seriously, that would have solved almost all of his problems.
jamrcla
½ July 30, 2016
After just about every review of this film was a bad one I went into it expecting a horrible unfunny movie but I was pleasantly surprised, Ok it wasn't laugh out funny but it had a few chuckles but mostly drama that kind of fit the film more than the comedy, Not as bad as critics say, Worth a watch.
½ July 25, 2016
Everything is catshit!
There are so much better movies than this Bum!

Eddie Murphy Now Sucks!
The Only movie i like with him is Tower Heist
And The Animated Movies I like voiced with him are the Shrek Series except 3rd.

I'm surprised how it got 0% rating on rotten tomatoes,
So I Brought this movie and saw how bad it is,
It's inspiredly bad! Funny Bad, Hilariously Bad! But Not Good Enough!

Score: 0/10
½ June 21, 2016
This movie was not that bad
June 7, 2016
Well, Idk yet. Maybe not....
½ May 21, 2016
Well screw you critics. Including you Roger Ebert.
March 8, 2016
A Thousand Words
Great concept, full of potential but this movie just left it unsaid
½ February 15, 2016
This film faces the exact same issue that movies like "Jack Frost" face. The filmmakers assume we're all idiots and believe that a magical tree randomly sprouts from the ground with a thousand leaves on it, and that a magical harmonica can turn you into a snowman when you die (Jack Frost). The filmmakers assume that the audience is as stupid as they are, and add awkward, unfunny jokes to the movie that already faces a severe issue.This film has the least creative plot I've ever seen. I feel like an 11 year old could come up with a more creative story than this garbage.
To make things even worse than they are now, Eddie Murphy can't talk Enough said.You can imagine how disastrous that could be. Think Donkey from Shrek, The Nutty Professor for crying out loud! Murphy can't talk?
Please don't waste your time. A Thousand Words literally belongs in a garbage truck, or flushed away in a sewer. Just don't bother. Sadly, I had to give it half a star.
December 3, 2015
A godd movie, indeed!
October 14, 2015
Un peu comme Dans Ses Rêves, A Thousand Words est une comédie familiale un peu idiote avec un Eddie Murphy très mal utilisé (il est censé ne plus pouvoir parler. Eddie Murphy. Ne plus parler...) et un message neuneu assez touchant en fin de compte. Malheureusement, il faut passer par 1h30 de gags ratés, de seconds rôles qui ne savent pas trop ce qu'ils font là (Cliff Curtis et Allison Janney n'ont pas leur rendement habituel et seul Clark Duke tient la route) et une réalisation extrêmement impersonnelle. C'est d'autant plus dommage que le film aurait dû être réalisé par Alain Chabat, celui-ci ayant déjà prouvé qu'il pouvait sauver un script loupé.
½ August 12, 2015
Not eddie Murphys best movie
July 31, 2015
Watched it. It's not a classic by any means. But doesn't deserve getting trashed here. It was entertaining. I'd watch it again.