A Wink and a Smile - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Wink and a Smile Reviews

August 20, 2013
I am going to pass on this one.
½ August 16, 2013
Interesting idea, but essentially slow-paced and a bit dull, ironically for a burlesque documentary.
April 3, 2012
An interesting look into the modern adaptation of the burlesque art form. Specified to the Seattle scene.

Not a very good piece of historical work, but interesting nonetheless. More like a reality TV show entitled "Next Top Burlesque" condensed into an hour and a half. Burlesque is definitely a fascinating art-form, but this film seems to focus more on the fascinating "trend" and women's empowerment, than the act of entertainment and self-expression. Worth seeing for a cultural experience, but not if you're looking to obtain a deeper understanding of burlesque.
April 8, 2011
This was a fabulous documentary! The more I learn about Burlesque, the more I want to take a class!
January 10, 2011
A group of uninteresting women take a class in stripping; "artfully". If you were expecting the theater and raunchiness of burlesque then you will be disappointed. It's basically "The View" with just a bit more than a PG-13 amount of skin.
March 13, 2010
Gives great background on the Seattle Burlesque scene, as well as some of it's heavy hitters. having gone through the Burlesque 101 class, I can say this was also a good example of the things that can happen during the 6 week long workshop. for anyone that thinks burlesque is easy, full of shallow minded sluts, or just a sad way for girls with low self-esteem feel good about themselves, you need to watch this movie: you see how wrong you are.
½ March 6, 2010
Well-done documentary that is perfect in showing the transformative power of the burlesque art. I showed it to my family and they have a better understanding of my interest in burlesque performance.
February 28, 2010
I didn't even know this existed!
February 14, 2010
Despite the fact that Miss Indigo Blue and the filmmakers philosophize way too much, their ivory-tower analysis doesn't kill the one thing that makes burlesque so great: it's goofy kitschiness.
January 17, 2010
Seattle women take a class to learn burlesque. The movie has a little information on the history of burlesque and some discussion of the neo-burlesque revival, but mainly focuses on the reasons why the women are taking the class and the fears they face in celebrating the beauty inherent in all women.
½ January 11, 2010
An interesting documentary about 10 women who go through a 6 week course in burlesque, punctuated with details about the history of the dance, as well as info on the various different incarnations that have cropped up in recent years (boylesque, anyone?), but the ultimate revelation seems to be that the women who do this seem to have a lot of issues between them. As the women discuss their various baggage, one has to wonder if doing a little faux-strip is really the best way to come to terms with their issues, but whatever, I'm not a psychiatrist.

Worth a look, give it a rental.
½ November 25, 2009
The movie dosen't go deep enough to be really interesting.
June 24, 2009
Interesting documentary. It made want to learn burlesque dancing. There are a few things I noticed that especially interested me. First, a lot of these women who learn burlesque dancing in the documentary seem to have issues with sex in different ways. I wonder what burlesque dancing, which is symbolic sex, really does to them. What has drawn them to this art form. Secondly, I realized when they were talking about their characters and acts, they used the third person to refer to themselves/their character. It might be a convention in the trade (as in acting), but at the same time, I suspect it also distances themselves from the idea of sexually charged seductive women, or sluts in my dictionary, so that they can feel a bit more comfortable with the whole thing. Very interesting.
June 3, 2009
I would watch it if it were on the Sundance Channel. I certainly have watched odder things.
May 20, 2009
It interests me in a weird way but I probably won't get around to this.
May 4, 2009
Add a review (optional)...