A Ballerina's Tale Reviews

• Nov 10, 2018

I have only seen Misty as a guest judge on "So you think you can dance" and "World of dance". To be honest, didn't know much about her before this documentary. and I am happy to have watched it and glad she is successful. :)

• Feb 15, 2017

I am doing a paper on Misty Copeland for my Diversity of Film class at SCC and it will go in our Library Archives for people to look up. I feel great about this. We need more Diversity in this World. and she is all about that. thank you. Elizabeth

• Jul 10, 2016

The path and challenges Misty Copeland had to face in order to become the first black principal dancer in a major ballet company. A lot to learn and accomplish in 2016 America.

• Apr 18, 2016

Misty Copeland making history!

Misty Copeland making history!

• Apr 14, 2016

This was a brilliantly done documentary about a unique and powerful ballerina's journey.

• Mar 05, 2016

getting to the top isn't an easy ride

getting to the top isn't an easy ride

• Feb 27, 2016

Misty Copeland is interesting, but this film is not. The cinematography is bad, the editing is worse. Clearly the filmmakers had no access to the space or people at ABT. There's no story. It's too bad -- clearly the filmmaker had great access to Ms. Copeland, but he just didn't know what to do with it. There's nothing here. The dancing isn't even that interesting. I'd skip it if I were you.

• Feb 14, 2016

It could have been great and inspirational, but it just fell a little short.

It could have been great and inspirational, but it just fell a little short.

• Jan 29, 2016

Misty Copeland has almost singlehandedly made ballet cool. She has also started a mainstream conversation on what constitutes a ballerina within a world that is steeped in a history of colonialism and white supremacy. This makes Copeland a perfect subject to build a documentary around issues of body image and race that are so ingrained in the sport. Unfortunately director Nelson George never quite manages to decide if this is a film about Copeland herself, black ballerina's in general, or what it takes to be a ballerina. All of these subjects could have been integrated, by George never manages this feat. The result is a film that feels confused and muddled. The film also glosses over the more difficult parts of Copeland's life and career, which undercuts the message of the barriers that dancers of colour face in ballet. A Ballerina's Tale's saving grace is its subject. There is a reason that Copeland is as popular as she is. She is well spoken, charismatic and personable. It's hard not to enjoy watching her dance and train. The backstage shots of the ballet and the dance sequences are interesting for dance fans. But in the end, there is not enough substance to make A Ballerina's Tale work.

• Jan 01, 2016

This is a movie about dance by a team that knows very little about dance. Poorly shot with a bunch of weak interviews, emphasizing racial victimhood, The movie leaves the few were tired and uninspired.